bas1e

Re: Pardus and or GWBASIC

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 am

Good morning,

Whilst waiting for the delivery of a Raspberry Pi, I am trying to make us of past experiences.  I have a little experience with Pardus, the Turkish Linux. Has anyone tried this? I have also read that BBC Basic has been tested, but has GWBASIC,

any clues will be appreciated.

Bas1e

prometheus0815

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am

Pardus seems to be available only for x86 / x64 platforms, as is GWBASIC (which is a DOS program).

So the short answer is: Since RasPi sports an ARM processor, neither Pardus nor GWBASIC will run on it.

The long answer is: It might be possible to run GWBASIC in a DOS and x86 emulator and, given the processing power of the ancient PCs it was made for, this might even be feasible performance-wise. On the other hand, unless you really need to run existing GWBASIC programs making use of some specifics of this particular dialect (and thus require a certain amount of work to port to other Basic dialects), it will probably be much easier to just use a Basic interpreter which is readily available in the package repositories of those RPi-specific Linux distributions.

bas1e

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks Prometheus. Useful info, I had anticipated this answer, but had hoped for a positive response.

Thanks

Bas1e

[email protected]

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

bas1e said:

Good morning,

Whilst waiting for the delivery of a Raspberry Pi, I am trying to make us of past experiences.  I have a little experience with Pardus, the Turkish Linux. Has anyone tried this? I have also read that BBC Basic has been tested, but has GWBASIC,

any clues will be appreciated.

Bas1e

BBC Basic is a standard part of most Linux distributions - called BRANDY. It certianly works under QEMU/Debian. There are many other BASICs out there that run under Linux - including my own...

See this post for a bit more:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....as/#p63157

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

SN

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

instead of a line numbered basic like GeeWhizz or Gordon's go and have a look at Gambas2
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

[email protected]

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

SN said:

instead of a line numbered basic like GeeWhizz or Gordon's go and have a look at Gambas2

Line numbers are optional in mine... (and Brandy)

The difficulty with that is then the need to use an external editor - however I am looking at building-in a simple editor - it would be sort of like nano though.

But it does take away the appeal of having a system where you can literally start it and go, but I have to say that having written a lot of little demos in my own BASIC recently, I resort to using an external editor rather quickly...

G
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

Return to “General discussion”