gjs

Re: Where is the Bottleneck?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:55 am

With a RPi set up as an HTTP or FTP server, where would the bottleneck be when downloading from it e.g. The ethernet port, the USB bus, the storage device (USB flash, USB SSD) etc.

With everything set up optimally what maximum download rate would be expected?

Thanks.

RaTTuS

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 am

the NIC / USB all share the same interface so it's that that will be the bottleneck.

but your looking at max 100Mbps [really]

YMMV
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am

All data has to pass down a single USB 2 bus, so 480Mbits/s max. Take away half that for USB overhead, 280Mbits/s. Now that need to be shared between the HD/USB stick and the ethernet. So 140MBits/s. That's probably an absolute max you are going to get (about 15MB/s)

Now you probably have some more overheads in there (on my desktop I get about 12MB/s transfer on a USB device).

With a max. 100mbit/s ethernet port, 12.5MB/s. With wireless N, half that, but with more overheads.

With all that said, without actual testing its difficult to figure out all the overheads, so a wild guestimate would be about 5MB/s.

The of course, you need to factor in the speed of the software serving up the data.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm

gjs said:

With a RPi set up as an HTTP or FTP server, where would the bottleneck be when downloading from it e.g. The ethernet port, the USB bus, the storage device (USB flash, USB SSD) etc.

With everything set up optimally what maximum download rate would be expected?

Thanks.

Probably not in the RPi.

If the SD card can be read at over 10MBytes/sec then it can be streamed to the Ethernet port at the same speed. (Assuming the internal bus that connects peripherals together can go faster than 100Mb/sec - I'd hope it can, although I don't know the actual architecture)

A quick check suggests that an SD cards with an x66 or greater rating, or a Class 10 card can work at 10MBytes/sec.

However there's more to it than that - the application that serves the data for example - a big MySQL type database, apache with a lot of cgi behind it, etc.

I'd have to suggest that if you are concerned about its throughput then perhaps the RPi isn't the right tool for your application...

G
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:31 am

Since Class 10 SD cards don"t work with the R-Pi (nor are they expected to without a currently-unplanned hardware mod, due to a voltage incompatibility issue), and even some recent lower-class cards have problems, including some Micro SD cards in adapters, the best you"re going to do is under 6 MB/s, not including bus overhead and application/service delays, as others have noted. A USB flash drive will do somewhat better, but, you"ll still max out below 15 MB/s, plus overhead. However, a USB hard drive will easily do 40 ~ 100+ MB/s sustained and they have nice-sized RAM buffers to help keep data going whenever there"s time on the bus, plus, you can get TBs of capacity for well under $100.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

jojopi

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Jim Manley said:

Since Class 10 SD cards don"t work with the R-Pi (nor are they expected to without a currently-unplanned hardware mod, due to a voltage incompatibility issue)

Do have references for either of these new parenthetic claims?  Because there is only one signalling voltage for SD cards, and two for SDHC, and they appear to have no direct relation to the class system[1].  And the last official statement I saw was that the SD incompatibilities were being looked at, not that there were no plans to try to fix them[2].

[1] http://www.sdcard.org/download.....100518.pdf

[2] http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/837

Nr90

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:23 am

There have been multiple places where the issue with the class 10 cards was explained.
One of the latest is the webinar Eben gave earlier this week.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:42 am

jojopi said:

Do have references for either of these new parenthetic claims?  Because there is only one signalling voltage for SD cards, and two for SDHC, and they appear to have no direct relation to the class system[1].  And the last official statement I saw was that the SD incompatibilities were being looked at, not that there were no plans to try to fix them.

SDHC (including Micro SD) and SDXC are based on 1.8 volt technology due to narrower traces deposited during the fabrication process, vs. the wider traces associated with the 3.3 volt technology used in original SD cards. 1.8 volt technology introduction made possible the debut of higher capacities starting at 8 GBs and, given the higher capacities and narrower traces, higher speeds are possible owing to lower current and associated lower heat generated in the traces. This was a necessary development as SD card capacities increased along with processor, bus, and other I/O interface speeds (e.g., 1 GB/s Ethernet). So, there is a coincident overlapping correlation between higher capacities and higher speed/Class SD card interfaces.

The SD card interface on the R-Pi can"t generate the commands to shift the interface between 3.3 and 1.8 volt mode without a hardware upgrade, per Eben"s Q&A answer toward the end of the April 4th webinar/Ebenar.

Recall that price is _the_ predominant design factor in the R-Pi, hence USB 2.0 not 3.0, 100 Mb/s Ethernet instead of 1 Gb/s, 256 MB RAM rather than 512 MB, 700 MHz ARM11v6 vs. 1+ GHz v7 Cortex multi-core, etc.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

jojopi

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:25 am

Jim Manley said:

SDHC (including Micro SD) and SDXC are based on 1.8 volt technology due to narrower traces deposited during the fabrication process, vs. the wider traces associated with the 3.3 volt technology used in original SD cards.

But by my reading of the abridged phy spec, they are still required to support 3.3V operation at the original bus speeds?

The SD card interface on the R-Pi can"t generate the commands to shift the interface between 3.3 and 1.8 volt mode without a hardware upgrade, per Eben"s Q&A answer toward the end of the April 4th webinar/Ebenar.

What he appears to say is that interface is 3.3V only.  In that case it should not be attempting to switch to the higher modes.

If the cards or the Pi are violating the spec then this would seem to be a much bigger issue than Class 10 flakiness.  As you say it potentially applies to any cards over 2GB (non-SDSC) and will only become more common with ongoing process shrinkage.

dom

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:31 am

My understanding:
On BCM2835 each GPIO bank is fed from a supply voltage which determines the I/O level supported. I believe there are 3 banks and the sdcard bank runs off a fixed 3.3V.
All sdcards start of at 3.3V I/O and only will switch to lower voltage/higher speed after negotiation with the host.
The initial firmware blob and kernel are loaded by GPU which never accepts the lower voltage negotiation. So far we"ve not seen sdcard acccess fail at this stage for sdhc.
The kernel shipped with Debian image incorrectly accepts the negotiation to a lower voltage it cannot support. It crashes soon after.
The latest kernel on GitHub handles the negotiation correctly, and remains at 3.3V (and lower speed).
We are aware of one additional cause of failure (possibly too small a timeout when erasing multiple sectors) and now have a card that shows this behaviour and we are investigating.
If we get through the firmware boot, then I"m not aware of any reason why a card will not be usable in theory, albeit not necessarily at its highest speed. However the driver may need tweaking as we come across cards with new foibles.
If there exist cards that the GPU bootloader cannot read, then we"re out of luck as that code is in rom. As this code is quite basic (no negotiation of enhanced features) hopefully there will be no problems.

Vindicator

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:22 pm

In my area a Raspi server would be bottle necked at my ISP, I am paying for 10Mbps and I get 8.5 on a good day so the Raspi probably would not be the problem LOL.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

arm2

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:24 pm

JamesH said:

All data has to pass down a single USB 2 bus, so 480Mbits/s max. Take away half that for USB overhead, 280Mbits/s. Now that need to be shared between the HD/USB stick and the ethernet. So 140MBits/s.

Yes if you are say reading data from the Ethernet and then writing it to a USB device but if say you are just loading into RAM there would not be the halving! Yes?

arm2

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:27 pm

dom said:

My understanding:
On BCM2835 each GPIO bank is fed from a supply voltage which determines the I/O level supported. I believe there are 3 banks and the sdcard bank runs off a fixed 3.3V

Is the choice of bank fixed in the chip or in the PCB wiring?

i.e. could reworked PCB fix this problem?

dom

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Yes, this is a PCB issue rather than a chip issue.

Some extra logic to switch the GPIO bank supply voltage (using a GPIO pin) is possible in theory.

rew

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:57 pm

I've found hints (in the datasheet?) that there are just two IO banks.

That would surely mean that there are other devices on that IO bank that the SD card is connected to. I'm not sure that you'll be able to just drop the voltage to 1.8V on the whole bank without messing up a whole lot of other stuff.

However, we don't have the datasheet, so I can only guess that there IS other stuff on that bank and that it can or cannot be changed to 1.8V without problems....
Check out our raspberry pi addons: http://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

sge

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

jamesh wrote:All data has to pass down a single USB 2 bus, so 480Mbits/s max. Take away half that for USB overhead, 280Mbits/s. Now that need to be shared between the HD/USB stick and the ethernet. So 140MBits/s. That's probably an absolute max you are going to get (about 15MB/s)

Now you probably have some more overheads in there (on my desktop I get about 12MB/s transfer on a USB device).
Sorry for bringing back this post, but it's probably better to keep discussion to as few posts as possible.

Could somebody elaborate/link on the exact reasons the USB interface won't reach anywhere near its theoretical maximum? If it's true that we only ever can get to half the theoretical maximum it's for all intents and purposes 240Mbits/s interface... D:

gsh

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:26 am

You should be able to reach quite close to theoretical maximum for simple applications (i.e. just sending big blocks of data over bulk interface to a USB 2.0 device) I would expect it to hit 480 (90%) MBits throughput... But then the data has to be handled on the ARM... And that takes processing power which is also needed to send data...

Class 10 SDCards should not be a problem, they have to support 3.3V but only up to 50MHz, we cannot reach the higher speeds because this requires us to change down the voltage)

SDCard read speed seems to be able to reach 25MByte/s doing block reads so I don't think it's likely to be a problem there...

Bottleneck is almost definitely the CPU creating / copying / moving the data around... So it really depends upon what the server is doing...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Heater

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:27 am

Simple arithmetic.

480Mbits per second is about 48MBytes per second.
Our processor is running at about 700M instructions per second. So we have about 14 instructions available to handle each byte!
Would you really expect that to be sufficient to keep up?

ech0

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm both amazed and curious to how you can get such great speeds.
I've got a 500/50 mbit connection, cat 6 ethernet cables and I reach speeds around 50 MB/s on my desktop but on my pi I barely reach download speeds around 2.2~ MB/s. I'm using a pretty much "blank" raspbian image. Is there a way to investigate this further or some kind of optimization that needs to be done? Keep in mind, I'm writing to an external harddrive (2TB USB 3.0, however pi only got 2.0). I'm curious to know what the bottleneck may be as well, if I need to overclock something even more than what I have. Currently I'm running the CPU on 900 MHz, core at 450 MHz and RAM on 450 as well, 4 overvolt.
Also, when downloading around the 2.2 MB/s the CPU is using around 80-95%, RAM using 65-75MB.
Last edited by ech0 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Easy test - drop the overclock to normal, then see if your download speed changes. If so its CPU related. Which is almost certainly the case - see gsh's post earlier.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

ech0

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:23 pm

I dropped the overclocking to the standard values and I get the same speed.
I also did some additional testing, and it seems that if I download a file online to the SD card I get about 7-8 MB/s, and if I download the very same file to the external harddrive it's about 1.6-1.8 MB/s. There must be some limitations to the USB port because the drive itself is normally working fine, if I connect it to any other machine I get good and normal 2.0 and 3.0 speeds. So I kind of doubt it's a CPU issue and more USB related, perhaps?

JoeDaStudd

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 pm

How is the hdd powered? I'd try it via a powered hub and see if that helps.
It's also worth testing the speed from SD to hdd.

ech0

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:12 pm

The hdd is powered with the power source I got when buying the drive, its output is 12V and 1.5A.

Copying a file using Rsync shows about avg: 3.06 MB/s writing from SD card to the external drive.
Writing from external drive to SD card is about avg: 6.95 MB/s

KeithSloan

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Vindicator wrote:In my area a Raspi server would be bottle necked at my ISP, I am paying for 10Mbps and I get 8.5 on a good day so the Raspi probably would not be the problem LOL.
Is that 8.5 download or upload speed?

Here in the UK my router syncs with exchange at 7 Mbps and on speed tests I get 6 Mbps, but that is downloading from the internet, upload is only 448 Kps. A Pi installed at my home would be uploading to serve people on the internet so only able to do 448 Kps at max..

ghans

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:06 pm

Is the harddisk NTFS-formatted ? NTFS-3G sucks on embedded
systems.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”