Walther

Re: Youtube without Flash

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi,

I know this might make many of you cringe and post three walls of text about Flash not being fully supported and the pi not having enough horsepower to run youtube's bloated flash player... But before that, I'll just say HTML5. Could it work?

I know that running a full-fletched browser (e.g. Firefox) might be a bit much for the Pi, but afaik not many of the "lite" browsers support embedded HTML5. Hm...

Also, there are (at least for pc/x86 arch) standalone youtube players - are there any that are ported to arm?

So the big question after these disclaimers etc: Is there going to be a way to watch (HD?) youtube videos? Again, not worrying about the "standard" youtube desktop view with Adobe Flash and all, but a decent way to watch streamed youtube videos.

(Hopefully that was enough disclaimers.)

And hey - if there are multiple ways of accomplishing this, the possibilities could be listed in this thread anyway, I think this is something that *quite* many users would like to know about anyway.

Nick Brian Walters

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm

I agree that while flash seems to be a sore point for many, that it's important. Almost anyplace where you see that flash could be used, and it can't, you see it as a top request. One example is Firefox on Droid. It has none, and is greatly wanted by everyone, and basically everyone just avoids it and uses Opera...or atleast I know I do.

Sadly a big reason I mainly use Win7 right now instead of my more preferred Backtrack install was Silverlight. I purchased an account on Netflix, not realizing it required it, and that Linux didn't have it. I'm not saying any distro for Pi needs Silverlight, but just telling my story to show you how fickle anyone can be

I personally doubt you'll see HD, top quality youtube inside a browser very quickly, and maybe not at all, but some flash support capable of playing ANY youtube would be nice.

I for one am attempting some low power computing, and the ability to do "basic" tasks is very important to me. If it takes awhile I'll understand of course, and use my Droid X for anything the Pi can't do.....odd, because now I try to do everything on my Droid X, and use the laptop for everything I can't  Good thing there's VNC too

boarsblood

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Minitube should compile ARCH=arm AFAIK

darkcity

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm

gnash is a possibility as mentioned here-

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....sion/flash

JeremyF

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:11 pm

VLC can stream YouTube (we can run VLC right?)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Don't think VLC will work yet. Needs some work.

Flash on Arm is completely down to Adobe. I have got accelerated Flash using OpenVG working, but never did the video acceleration. That was an internal custom build of Flash on the Videocore 3. Unless Adobe release stuff like that, it's a no go.

internally Flash uses H264, so the decode isn't an issue.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Walther

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:57 pm

JamesH said:

Flash on Arm is completely down to Adobe.

...Did you just skip my post without reading?

No offense, I just thought I made it clear enough - what are the options for *non-flash* youtube playback

JeremyF

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:18 pm

JamesH said:

Don't think VLC will work yet. Needs some work.

Flash on Arm is completely down to Adobe. I have got accelerated Flash using OpenVG working, but never did the video acceleration. That was an internal custom build of Flash on the Videocore 3. Unless Adobe release stuff like that, it's a no go.

internally Flash uses H264, so the decode isn't an issue.

Actually VLC (version 0.8.6, but still, VLC) was ported to Debian Lenny (ARM) so it actually shouldn't be that much work, just someone (not me, no idea how) needs to do it.

(1+2=3, that was easy)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Return to “General discussion”