blippy

Maker Pico SD card unreliable

Sat May 22, 2021 2:26 pm

I bought a Maker Pico board recently, and I was keen to test out the SD card. It seems unreliable, though.

If I start the board and press the GP22 button to test the card, it responds "no sd card". However, if I start the board and press GP20, wait for it to finish, and then press GP22, then it responds "sd card test: pass".

Hmmm. Thoughts?

I've tried different MCUs in the past, including a different Pico and have found SD cards to be highly unreliable. Very, very, fussy.

hippy

Re: Maker Pico SD card unreliable

Sat May 22, 2021 6:02 pm

blippy wrote:
Thoughts?
Ask the manufacturer of the board if what you are seeing is as would be expected, what to do if it isn't ?

aallan
Raspberry Pi Trading Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Trading Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 am

blippy wrote:
I bought a Maker Pico board recently…

You should talk to the manufacturer, or at least the reseller you bought it from. It's not a board I'm personally familiar with, hadn't heard of it before now.
Technical Documentation Manager
Raspberry Pi (Trading) Limited
About me, http://alasdairallan.com

bgolab

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:48 am

I just bought Maker Pico board. Looks nicely and seems to work. Although I have not touched the SD card yet.
https://www.cytron.io/p-maker-pi-pico

scruss

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 am

blippy wrote:
If I start the board and press the GP22 button to test the card, it responds "no sd card". However, if I start the board and press GP20, wait for it to finish, and then press GP22, then it responds "sd card test: pass".
That sounds like it's software supplied with the Maker Pico, rather than something that is related to the hardware. On the Pico, there isn't anything in the hardware that links GP20 or GP22 to SD access. Those are GPIO that the Maker Pico breaks out into pushbuttons.

What software are you using to access the SD card? Under MicroPython on a Pico, it's a little more involved than it would be on an Arduino. Unless you close a file you've written to SD under MicroPython, the contents won't be readable.
aallan wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 am
You should talk to the manufacturer, or at least the reseller you bought it from. It's not a board I'm personally familiar with, hadn't heard of it before now.
It's an all-singing, all-dancing add-on board for the Raspberry Pi Pico. The manufacturer, Cytron, is based in Malaysia and make some decent education-based kit. Their boards are very purple, and they build in things like LEDs on I/O pins for classroom/debugging use. Their fit and finish is remarkably good for the price.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

matherp

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:59 pm

The input I/O on the Pico seems inherently unreliable UNTIL you switch on hysteresis for ths pins used. I found using multiple things on an SPI channel on the Maker board was pretty much unworkable (SDcard, LCD, and touch) but magically fixed itself when hysteresis was turned on. It is probably also worth increasing the drive current for any output pins used and it may be sensible to set to low speed to reduce ringing

blippy

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:21 pm

matherp wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:59 pm
The input I/O on the Pico seems inherently unreliable UNTIL you switch on hysteresis for ths pins used.
Oh. That's interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Return to “Other RP2040 boards”