fivdi
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:09 pm
Contact: Website

Pimoroni PGA 2040

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm

Support for the Pimoroni PGA 2040 landed in pico-sdk yesterday. See here.

I don't know anything about the PGA 2040 yet and can only speculate about what it can be used for.

Is it something for professional golfers who are makers? Maybe for building their own custom golf ball flight analysers?

User avatar
aallan
Raspberry Pi Trading Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Trading Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:30 am
Location: Exeter, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm

fivdi wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm
Support for the Pimoroni PGA 2040 landed in pico-sdk yesterday. See here.

I don't know anything about the PGA 2040 yet and can only speculate about what it can be used for.

Is it something for professional golfers who are makers? Maybe for building their own custom golf ball flight analysers?

See https://twitter.com/ZodiusInfuser/statu ... 9593070592
Technical Documentation Manager
Raspberry Pi (Trading) Limited
About me, http://alasdairallan.com

dave j
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm

It looks like it's a breakout board for RP2040s.

I'd take any other details from that article with a big pinch of salt - they've counted 48 pins and seem to think they are all GPIOs!

User avatar
aallan
Raspberry Pi Trading Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Trading Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:30 am
Location: Exeter, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:13 pm

dave j wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm
It looks like it's a breakout board for RP2040s.

I'd take any other details from that article with a big pinch of salt - they've counted 48 pins and seem to think they are all GPIOs!

There was a reason why I linked to the tweet and not that article. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Technical Documentation Manager
Raspberry Pi (Trading) Limited
About me, http://alasdairallan.com

hippy
Posts: 10194
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:57 pm

dave j wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm
It looks like it's a breakout board for RP2040s.
Very nice and a smaller footprint than the RP2040 Stamp - https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/ma ... d-projects.

I suspect the PGA2040 project was driven by 'how do we sell entirely bare PTH project boards which allow an RP2040 to be easily added without requiring the footprint of a Pico or similar'. It's quite a neat solution in that respect.

pidd
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Location: Wirral, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:03 pm

hippy wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:57 pm
dave j wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm
It looks like it's a breakout board for RP2040s.
Very nice and a smaller footprint than the RP2040 Stamp - https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/ma ... d-projects.

I suspect the PGA2040 project was driven by 'how do we sell entirely bare PTH project boards which allow an RP2040 to be easily added without requiring the footprint of a Pico or similar'. It's quite a neat solution in that respect.
There is also the very small tiny2040 which I would use more often if it wasn't nearly three times the price of a pico.

hippy
Posts: 10194
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:32 pm

The Tiny2040 is also nice, but only 12 GPIO and the USB socket imposes some constraints on mounting options. A hacksawed-down Pico would be my cheaper preference if I wanted a smaller footprint and didn't need SWD.

The problem of cost is always going to exist where there aren't economies of scale to be had. RPT reported almost one million Pico sales six weeks after launch; smaller manufacturers can only dream of such high product demand or financing such production at scale.

It is human nature to gravitate towards lowest cost and it can be hard to pull people towards higher cost unless there is a compelling USP offered, and even then lower cost is often given a higher weighting. It's hard to draw the numbers in to reduce costs.

It will be interesting to see how the development board and break-out board markets ares affected when RP2040 reels are available off the shelf and manufacturers in the Far East start building their own or clone boards.

fivdi
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:09 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm

Some more details can be found here.

Image

hippy
Posts: 10194
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pimoroni PGA 2040

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Header pins not included. If you don't want to solder standard pins and sockets, £6.90 for the PGA2040, £4.50 for a pin array, £4.50 for a socket; £15.90 inc VAT.

One option is to use 0.1" pins soldered to the PGA2040 and the PCB and hope you don't need to replace it.

Return to “Other RP2040 boards”