Anne_Carlill

Beginner with Pico on an R Pi 3

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi, I have Thonny that's working with Python 3.5.3. I've updated and upgraded my R Pi. I held down BOOTSEL and put the Pico into a USB slot. My R Pi recognises the Pico as it puts up a 'Removable medium is inserted ' box. I cancelled that and looked back at Thonny. The 'Python 3.5.3' version note is at the bottom left hand side of the screen under the title Shell (rather than on RHS as it says in instructions) and is greyed out. It does nothing when I try to click on it. I'm following the instructions on: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... the-pico/3 . I've tried a number of times but I don't get the python options (eg micropython) coming up. Is it because I'm not getting the Pico into the correct Mass Storage mode? Or is it that my version of Python or Thonny is not the latest? Or is it something else? The version of python I have is 3.5.3-1 but when I tried to upgrade it with sudo apt-get upgrade python3 the terminal stated that it was the latest version.
Last edited by Anne_Carlill on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

hippy

Re: Beginner with Pico on an R Pi 3

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Anne_Carlill wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:15 pm
My R Pi recognises the Pico as it puts up a 'Removable medium is inserted ' box. I cancelled that and looked back at Thonny.
Don't cancel; you need to copy and drop the MicoPython .uf2 firmware file to the Pi Pico drive.

Anne_Carlill

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks @hippy , I’ll try that tomorrow. All the best, Anne

Anne_Carlill

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 am

@hippy wrote:
Don't cancel; you need to copy and drop the MicoPython .uf2 firmware file to the Pi Pico drive.
So I've kept the File Manager box open with title 'RPI-RP2', on my R Pi 3. I assume the fact that I see this, tells me that my Pico has connected and is in mass storage device mode. But Thonny still has no Python version on screen which I can click on.

My version of the OS is Raspbian Stretch and I've had a look around my File Manager and found two references to Thonny. 1) in / usr/bin/ and 2) in / usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ . I also have a python3.5 folder which is here / usr/lib/python3.5 which doesn't seem to contain any files or folders related to Thonny. I'm still wondering whether I have the latest version of Thonny and whether I should get a new SD card and download the very latest Raspbian OS and packages. Then I should start again. I'm still following these instructions: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... the-pico/3

B.Goode

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 am

Anne_Carlill wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 am
I'm still wondering whether I have the latest version of Thonny and whether I should get a new SD card and download the very latest Raspbian OS and packages. Then I should start again.

I can answer this non-Pico part of your query.

You most definitely do NOT have a current copy of the Operating System, the Python3 interpreter, or the Thonny ide/editor. Your Raspbian Stretch system was superceded in June 2019.

Retrying - on a new/spare microSD card if you prefer - with a fresh installation of the current (mid-January 2021) release of the RasPiOS Buster Operating System would be a good troubleshooting step.

Edit: wrong previous Debian release name
Last edited by B.Goode on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anne_Carlill

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:42 am

Ah, I think I've solved it. I found a newer SD card which was using the Buster OS then, in the terminal, I did the usual update and upgrade then I used sudo apt-get upgrade thonny and it installed an upgraded Thonny which has Python 3.7.3 stated in the bottom right hand corner. I assume copying the firmware to the pico will work now.

I apologise @B.Goode . I didn't see your post until I'd written this. :) Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate having this forum!

B.Goode

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 am

Anne_Carlill wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:42 am
Ah, I think I've solved it. I found a newer SD card which was using the Buster OS then, in the terminal, I did the usual update and upgrade then I used sudo apt-get upgrade thonny and it installed an upgraded Thonny which has Python 3.7.3 stated in the bottom right hand corner. I assume copying the firmware to the pico will work now.

Good News so far...

You are certainly in a better position to get help/support if things don't work out as you hope.

Do STEM have lots of plans for deploying PIco boards?

Subsequent update: Pleased to see from your Tweets that you are now up and running. Well Done!

Anne_Carlill

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Yes, thanks @B.Goode . I am really getting started now that I’ve saved some files to the Pico. There’s a book ‘Get started with Micropython on Raspberry Pi Pico’ which is downloadable for free from raspberrypi.org . My printed copy came yesterday and I’m working from that now.

Return to “General”