rpdom

Re: I'm excited!

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:29 am

BMS Doug wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:24 am
That's how my 3 arrived also (purchased from Pimoroni in the UK).
Minimal handling, perfect for these times.
I'm still waiting for my two from them. Post is really bad round here at the moment, but maybe they'll arrive today.
Unreadable squiggle

BMS Doug

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:55 am

rpdom wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:29 am
I'm still waiting for my two from them. Post is really bad round here at the moment, but maybe they'll arrive today.
I ordered a pair of speakers from them that are now 10 days past ETA, desperately needed to complete my internet Radio build.

I was already on the verge of buying another pair when the Pico was released. Ibbought all the same stuff again and paid the exfra for UPS delivery. Finished building the radio and started playing with a Pico last night.

If the other order eventually arrives then I'll keep all the bits, the speakers were only £3 each and I can always use more Pi zero (one with header, one without).

I can't blame Pimoroni for the delay, the postal system is suffering more than the rest of us.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

rpdom

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:00 am

BMS Doug wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:55 am
I can't blame Pimoroni for the delay, the postal system is suffering more than the rest of us.
They are, and I'm apparently in one of the worst hit postcodes at the moment (over 90 postal staff at the local office self-isolating due to possible infection).
But they are working hard to clear the backlog, which is why we seem to be getting Sunday deliveries.

One annoying thing was the letter that was due to be delivered on Friday over a week ago, but had insufficient postage. No idea how much it was short or if it is important.
I had to pay £1.50 for it to be delivered on Thursday.
It hasn't arrived yet. :(
Unreadable squiggle

blippy

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am

BMS Doug wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:24 am
That's how my 3 arrived also (purchased from Pimoroni in the UK).
Pimoroni seem pretty good, with good customer focus. Pi Hut also seemed pretty good from my recollection, too. Not necessarily cheap on some of the stuff, mind.

BMS Doug

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm

blippy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am

Pimoroni seem pretty good, with good customer focus. Pi Hut also seemed pretty good from my recollection, too. Not necessarily cheap on some of the stuff, mind.
I've used both.

I tend to buy from Pimoroni unless they don't have what I want, then I'll use Pi Hut.

No real reason, I just like Pirate Monkey Robot Ninjas.
Doug.

aleopardstail

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:40 pm

ordered one here on Friday, it arrived Saturday.. hard to complain about that (PiHut)

the main Pi microcomputers never really lit a fire here, they are good, but never really saw what I would use one for.

the Pico however... I have several arduino projects, based on various boards both ATmega and ESP, and some a combination of the two.. so far there are not many a Pico couldn't do - and critically the low cost is massive here. I don't need Wifi or bluetooth, or built in accelerometers etc.

sure its nice when there are also boards that offer that, but an honest to gork bare bones breakout board like this is wonderful, especially castellated, helps with small enclosures. e.g. fitting in a 6mm high space maybe - to be honest would be a prototype to eventually have the RP2040 added to a board of my own design ideally (currently looking at the ATMega quad flatpack they use in the nano, well two of them - a single RP2040 could do what they will be doing as it yawns) - the PIO stuff making what they will actually be doing - decoding the ID signal from slot cars look easy.

a few issues around the development environment aside (which are trivial in the longer term, I will get round them) are not dampening this.

I can also potentially see a role for this as the heart of a DCC decoder and slot car decoder maybe, the chip is small enough and cheap enough

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:53 pm

aleopardstail wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:40 pm
the Pico however... I have several arduino projects, based on various boards both ATmega and ESP, and some a combination of the two.. so far there are not many a Pico couldn't do - and critically the low cost is massive here. I don't need Wifi or bluetooth, or built in accelerometers etc.
I suspect that the RPT/RPF has just done for the price of MCs with the Pico what the Model B did for the price of SBCs.

rpdom

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:02 pm

All my post arrived today. Including my Picos :-)
Unreadable squiggle

BMS Doug

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:06 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:02 pm
All my post arrived today. Including my Picos :-)
Yay!
Doug.

hippy

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
I suspect that the RPT/RPF has just done for the price of MCs with the Pico what the Model B did for the price of SBCs.
I'm not sure. There are plenty of low-cost microcontroller boards out there.

My Arduino Nano's were £2 each and I picked up an ESP32 thingy with WiFi and camera module for £5, figured it was a bargain even if I didn't use the camera which appears to be the same as the original Pi camera component.

I also have a RISC-V board with OLED display for £5 waiting for me when the pandemic is over.

I think it's going to do well in hobby and maker circles but I don't think the Big Semi industry is going to fret over everyone defecting to using the RP2040.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am

hippy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I'm not sure. There are plenty of low-cost microcontroller boards out there.

My Arduino Nano's were £2 each and I picked up an ESP32 thingy with WiFi and camera module for £5, figured it was a bargain even if I didn't use the camera which appears to be the same as the original Pi camera component.

I also have a RISC-V board with OLED display for £5 waiting for me when the pandemic is over.

I think it's going to do well in hobby and maker circles but I don't think the Big Semi industry is going to fret over everyone defecting to using the RP2040.
We'll see.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Gavinmc42

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:24 am

We'll see.....
Yes we will.
Some of us are used to roadmaps and know how to read them even if we have never seen one from RPF.
Not hard to predict were this could go.
Pure speculation of course, but we can probably assume RP2040 won't be the last one.
The part numbering system would tend to confirm that.

I am curious to see if the PIO hardware makes it to the big Pi silicon.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:24 am
I am curious to see if the PIO hardware makes it to the big Pi silicon.
While that might be the most interesting addition, the most welcome might be getting optional ADCs onto some main-line Pis. MInd, that's not something *I* need, but there's a lot of call for it.

The sticking point is that--so far--the RPT hasn't actually done the designs for the main-line Pi SoCs. I would think an early idea to leverage the chip design experience would be a new SoC that could be used to make an upgraded Pi0. That's also the board where PIO and ADC would be likely to have the greatest impact outside of the MC field, since it's the "next step up".

However, like the Pi0 and Pi0W, I would expect that a follow-on upgrade of the Pico would be to include on-board WiFi. Again, something I'm not agitating for--I think the is a wonderful little board, as is--but it's something quite a few folks seem to want (and other RP2040 board vendors appear to be planning to include).

Best is probably to wait for a whole ecosystem to develop around the Pico and--like it's big brothers--see what is missing or poorly done before the RPT develops new products at this level. Let's see where we are a year from now....

Gavinmc42

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:53 am

Interesting, a Pi Zero shaped RP2040.
I sure someone is busy working on it right now?

Those PIO's have got me interested.
The Prop 2 can do sigma delta on any pin.
The Prop 1 needed two pins? Very dusty memory that.
What can the PIO do in analog input arena?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “General”