triss64738

Requesting a USB PID not as a company

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:08 am

Hi, after having written code to emulate/implement the I2C-Tiny-USB, I'd need an official VID/PID pair to add to this linux kernel module here so that people can use this device out of the box without having to install a modified, hand-compiled kernel module. Right now, for testing, I'm using a semi-random VID/PID pair, but, of course this won't get accepted if I'd want to upstream this to the Linux kernel.

I've noticed that Raspberry Pi (the company, not the foundation, apparently?) owns a VID, and allows others to request PIDs as well. However, when looking at the application form linked from that page, I get the impression that this is only intended for companies, while I've been making this I2C-Tiny-USB as a random person, in my free time.

Would it still be appropriate here to request a PID using that form (and probably entering nonsense in a few fields), or should I try other processes/vendors to request a PID, such as pid.codes or OpenMoko? (Additionally, while my code is mainly focused on the Pico, it's written in such a way that it is not hard to port over to different boards/MCUs. Would it be allowed to request a PID for an application running not only on the Pico but also on non-RPi hardware?)

Thanks.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Requesting a USB PID not as a company

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:52 am

I don't know, but I suspect our team deals with that so shall find out. I'd suggest applying anyway, to see what happens!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

triss64738

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:35 am

Alright, thanks. (Won't do this immediately though, still need to find a name for the thingy first..)

Peter_Swe

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:47 am

You might also approach Linux Foundation for a PID on their VID. At least give Greg KH a email and ask.

Return to “General”