ronadt

Raspberry Pi Pico and pico-LCD-1.14 board

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:52 pm

I get no screen output on the LCD 1.14 board except for running (thonny) the Pico-LCD-1.14 .PY program. No other demo program activates the screen. I have tried other firmware, RPI micropython, and Pimoroni 0.2.2 uf2. I have nuked the pico many times and reloaded firmware, the blink program works for the LED on the Pico board so I think the pico is not broken...I can usually get this kind of problem fixed, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile, but this has me stumped. Sorry for what is probably a bad job of describing the issue...

nick.mccloud

Re: Raspberry Pi Pico and pico-LCD-1.14 board

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:32 pm

The WaveShare zip file only has one demo Python program for that board ...
Pico/RP2040 ≠ Arduino
Pico = hot rod kit car, Arduino = hot rod kit car wrapped in cotton wool with buoyancy aids & parachute

pidd

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:47 am

What do you want it to do?

Pico-LCD-1.14.py shows you how to initialise SPI, initialise the display, setup a framebuffer, clear screen, change colours, print text, print lines, print rectangles to the framebuffer then display the framebuffer. It also shows you how to read the buttons.

Basically you can copy that example program then alter lines 161 onwards to display whatever you want and get to understand it.

Your other option is the use the waveshare C libraries and example which shows more commands such as, circles, font sizes etc

ronadt

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 pm

First thank you for your reply. There is a demo script from Pimoroni that is just colored balls floating around. A youtube user, Spidermaf (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJDNFWcPZdw, shows a pretty detailed process to load and run the program which I have done, If I load the Pimoroni UF2 firmware, and and then run the colored ball demo program the LCD screen stays blank. I get no errors reported and the usual prompt, >>>,appears in the shell.
This also happens with the Raspberry pi UF2 and any of those associated demos... This has to be an operator error but I am still at a loss as to what it is!

alphanumeric

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:17 pm

Does your screen use the same pins for SPI as the Pimorni screen? If it doesn't the Pimoroni example file isn't going to work on your screen.
I have the Pimoroni Pico Display Pack and have run the Pimoroni demo example on it with no issues. It was using the Pimoroni uf2 file.

ronadt

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Alphanumeric, you have solved this for me!! The waveshare pico lcd board SPI control is different from thePimoroni SPI control inputs!!! I am sure if I get a Pimoroni LCD board it will work fine! Simply awful when you don't know and awfully simple when you do...

thank you very much!!!

alphanumeric

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 pm

Yeah on a Raspberry Pi, its either SPI0 or SPI1, and those signals are set to specific pins. On the PICO you can set SPI0 and SPI1 to several different pin configurations / layouts. I have no idea how you change what pins the balls demo file uses though?

Return to “General”