Grumpy Mike

Arduino has released a Pico programming soloution

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Just received this from the Arduino Forum:-
The Arduino IDE and CLI now have support for the Pico and the Nano RP2040 Connect! This was developed by the Arduino team and is available for free for anyone.

Just open the Board Manager dialog and look for their names: you’ll find the two new cores. If you have a suitable board, do help us testing them! You can report any feedback in this thread. Thank you!

If you want to contribute to development, the source code is located in this repository: GitHub - https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-mbed
This is from "alranel" a member of the Arduino team.

scruss

Re: Arduino has released a Pico programming soloution

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Yeah, there's a live thread here: viewtopic.php?f=144&t=309215

It works, I can say that for it.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

hippy

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm

It is a bit odd that Arduino aren't making more of a song and dance about adding support. Perhaps that's related to availability of Arduino RP2040 hardware, not wanting to excite on one hand and disappoint on the other ?

PossibleRP2040

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm

How or when will anything but the the Pico be supported by Arduino?

hippy

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:41 pm

PossibleRP2040 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm
How or when will anything but the the Pico be supported by Arduino?
Not exactly sure how you mean. There is an Mbed install for the Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect board already available.

PossibleRP2040

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 pm

There is an Mbed install for the Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect board already available.
That is correct. But there is currently no support or code or ability to use the IDE with any Adafruit or SparkFun or other RP2040 board that we can locate. Absolutely no interest in the Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect for a host of reasons. One being the price (which is still as far as we know, still not released yet but is going to likely be typically Arduino priced of far more than it is worth even years later, enabling RPi and others to launch a competitor). Two being it is still not available yet. Three being it has several items that are simply not needed in most applications on this end such as a WiFi & Bluetooth module, an STMicro MEMS sensor with 9-axis IMU and microphone, and the ECC608 crypto chip.

ABX00042 AKA Arduino Portenta H7 is $100 USD. Any guesses as to what their Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect is going to run? Pretty clearly less most likely but not going to be $4 or $17 either.
Last edited by PossibleRP2040 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RudolfAtHome

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

It works with the original Raspberry Pi Pico. But I run in a trap with Servo. Servo will not work for me.

WestfW

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 pm

there is currently no support or code or ability to use the IDE with any Adafruit or SparkFun or other RP2040 board that we can locate.
It's not Arduino's "job" to add support for 3rd party boards. (nor Raspberry Pi's, either. (But it's in their interest not to make it "difficult" to add boards to the SDK.))
It's up to Adafruit and Sparkfun to decide whether they like the board/mBed/SDK architecture or Arduino's implementation (in which case adding their board is pretty easy), or whether they want to do something else.

I worry about the layering. Especially since the SDK is so new, and still changing significantly.
Presumably it's good because it's a quick way to supporting both cores but... It's at least dependent on mBed accepting their patch...

"Arduino Due" built their implementation on top of Atmel's "libsam." libsam doesn't exist any more :-(

scruss

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 pm

PossibleRP2040 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 pm
ABX00042 AKA Arduino Portenta H7 is $100 USD. Any guesses as to what their Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect is going to run? Pretty clearly less most likely but not going to be $4 or $17 either.
In another thread here, someone had a link that said around $20. Which is decent.

The Portenta's less than STM's own eval board for the STM32H747XIH6. The bare chips alone are over $20 each in quantity.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Grumpy Mike

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:20 am

Thing is that Arduino support is still in its infancy. From what I can see it has not yet implemented anything to do with PIO yet.
RudolfAtHome wrote: It works with the original Raspberry Pi Pico. But I run in a trap with Servo. Servo will not work for me.
Not a surprise because the servo library depends on the specific processor hardware. There are some Arduino products that don't support this library.

I was sort of hoping for compatibility between C code written for the Pi method of using the processor and the Arduino method. It looks like any C code will have to be Arduinofied first.
I have only used it for a few hours myself.

This link is to the issues that are currently being raised:-
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-mbed/issues

scruss

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Grumpy Mike wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:20 am
Thing is that Arduino support is still in its infancy. From what I can see it has not yet implemented anything to do with PIO yet.
It doesn't sound like that functionality is a priority: it's a whole new thing for the Wiring/Arduino language.

Grumpy Mike

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:47 pm

It doesn't sound like that functionality is a priority: it's a whole new thing for the Wiring/Arduino language.
I suppose so, in the same way that ease of use is not a priority from the Raspberry Pi foundation.

scruss

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Grumpy Mike wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:47 pm
I suppose so, in the same way that ease of use is not a priority from the Raspberry Pi foundation.
Oh come on … Arduino's been in constant development for more than 15 years, and assumes a processor model based on a late 1990's AVR microcontroller, simplified down so that non-programmers could approach it. The RP2040 has been available for just over 12 weeks. Its PIO capabilities don't have an exact parallel in any other µc. And you're moaning that a third-party (mbed) open source project took this long to produce something (for free) that doesn't do everything on your new favourite chip? Well bless your heart!

Grumpy Mike

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:01 pm

Well bless your heart!
Will patronising me put me in a better mood?
Some home truths.

The point is that the Raspberry Pi foundation, or at least those job it is to write the software to access this chip, think they have done a good job, and they don't care if if people don't like it. They said so in a post I read before it was removed. There seems to be no ambition here to make things easy. No "we are hoping to make it simpler later on", or "yes the documentation on cmake is cursory and we plan to do a document / publish a book detailing its use and discussing what to do when things go wrong".

No it is just a take it or leave it attitude that is all too common in the Linux community.

Return to “General”