ammonitida

Re: How is the keyboard quality on the RPi 400?

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 am

i dont have any keyboard problems......because i use the matchbox on-screen keyboard 99% of the time from the comfort of my couch. i only wanted the pi 400 for its passive cooling. the keyboard just acts as a fancy case that has a little more functionality than other cases.

Randomp

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:16 am

ammonitida wrote:
i dont have any keyboard problems......because i use the matchbox on-screen keyboard 99% of the time from the comfort of my couch. i only wanted the pi 400 for its passive cooling. the keyboard just acts as a fancy case that has a little more functionality than other cases.
That can be achieved using something like the Flirc case for the Pi 4, or, if you would like something a bit more effective and pretty looking, a Desalvo Systems case out of machined aluminum. Those cases have the added benefit of a much smaller footprint than that of the Pi 4.
RPiB, RPi2B, RPi0, RPi3B(x2), RPi3B+, RPi4B2Gb, RPi4B4Gb, RPi400 :D

alphanumeric

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:13 pm

I think I may know why my Caps Lock Key doesn't work? I could hear something rattling around inside the case so I carefully took it apart. I wanted to reseat the keyboard ribbon cable anyway. It looks like one of the plastic hold down studs (the ones with the meted tops) broke off right under the Caps Lock Key. Rattles gone now, key still doesn't work. Reseating the ribbon cable didn't fix my Fn F10 issue. I really didn't think it would but it was worth a try. No worse off than I was other than a few small marks in the plastic.
On the plus side I am using it, every day almost. It's perfectly usable for what I do with it and my issues won't prevent me from using it. Hopefully with the feedback we are giving the keyboard quality improves for future buyers.

AndyO

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:11 pm

I have a Pi400, and I must say the keyboard isn't amongst my favourites, but I don't have any notable issues with keys not registering or bouncing, just the overall feel of the thing.

I wrote a 7-page document on it and found it rather hard going. A handful of times a key was missed, but I'm pretty sure this is to do with the way I type, because on these chiclet-style boards with flat-topped keys I tend not to hit the key centre when I'm typing nearer the right-hand edge particularly. Slowing down a bit seemed to help, but is hard to learn as a habit!

The Pi is an experiment for me, so I'm not complaining. At $100 it is a miracle it does what it does to begin with, and my $30 black-switch mechanical keyboard works just fine with it if I really need it to.

opentrail

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:24 am

I'd say it is terrible. Missing keystrokes & double keystrokes. So annoying. I have zero problems using a Mac, Razor or Logitech keyboards, but the keyboard on the RP400 is unusable.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:35 pm

opentrail wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:24 am
I'd say it is terrible. Missing keystrokes & double keystrokes. So annoying. I have zero problems using a Mac, Razor or Logitech keyboards, but the keyboard on the RP400 is unusable.
That sounds like a HW defect - you should return it for a replacement.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

thradtke

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:02 am

jamesh wrote:
There was a posting recently from someone who got an even worser keyboard in return. I suspect this problem is very common, so I decided to keep the 400 for now for private use, but don't introduce it at school.

Hope RPT decides to go for a better keyboard in the future. I'll watch the reviews if or when a new AIO keyboard comes out.
Rocket Scientist.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 am

thradtke wrote:
jamesh wrote:
There was a posting recently from someone who got an even worser keyboard in return. I suspect this problem is very common, so I decided to keep the 400 for now for private use, but don't introduce it at school.

Hope RPT decides to go for a better keyboard in the future. I'll watch the reviews if or when a new AIO keyboard comes out.

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=314275#p1880245

thradtke

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:44 am

I've read this, but it's not helpful. Doesn't say anything about the chance to get a good keyboard in return.

Still nice the problem was finally admitted.
Rocket Scientist.

jamesh

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:25 am

We have had some issue with some Pi400 keyboards, although its not common. We've improved the manufacturing test process, and are also looking in to other mitigations.

alphanumeric

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 am

thradtke wrote:
jamesh wrote:

That may have been me. My first Pi 400 had a bad ; key. Single presses always got me ;;. Pimoroni sent a replacement which had issues with the Fn F10 shutdown. It also had a bad Caps Lock Key that I only found latter on. I ended up paying ~$40 Canadian in duty on the replacement shipment. They didn't ask for the original defective unit back so I was still ahead sort of kind of. And the chance of another duty charge on a third Pi 400 made me just cut my loses. I also figured at that point they would want the other two back. Which would be shipping costs I'd likey have to pay.
On the plus side, the Pi Foundation asked for the original one so they could figure out why it made it out of the factory with a defective keyboard. And they sent me some stuff in return so I'm happily back in the green cost wise.
My one big issue now is that something is going south with my F10 Boot Up option. I'm more often than not having to do multiple presses of the F10 key to get my Pi 400 to boot up. Sometimes 4 presses. Possibly related is I have to Press Fn F10 twice to do a shutdown. This happens every time. The first FN F10 is totally ignored. I have threads on the go for both of these issues so no need to go into any farther here.

thradtke

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:32 am

I made a poll to see how common these problems are, but it was brought down. That's ok, @jamesh. Your choice. Sadly, that seemed to be not sufficient. Another moderator appeared with a cynical comment. That's not ok. Feels like being a public enemy.

This comment will probably not survice either, maybe not even my account, but I had to say this.
Rocket Scientist.

jamesh

Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:09 am

thradtke wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:32 am
I made a poll to see how common these problems are, but it was brought down. That's ok, @jamesh. Your choice. Sadly, that seemed to be not sufficient. Another moderator appeared with a cynical comment. That's not ok. Feels like being a public enemy.

This comment will probably not survice either, maybe not even my account, but I had to say this.
I have removed the comment.

thradtke

Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:32 am

Thank you, James.
Rocket Scientist.

angr77

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:13 am

I just bought and unpacked a PI 400 with a Swedish keyboard(after months of waiting) …but I immediately discovered that the space key is just sending out rubbish when entering.

Raspberry have definitely quality problems on the PI 400.

Best regards

Anders

jamesh

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:26 am

Sorry to hear you are having problems. You will need to return your device to your reseller for replacement.

We have spent a lot of time investigating the issues, with production line testing changes, and a better keyboard design. So these issues should go away in the near future as the changes get through the system.

cspan

Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:05 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:26 am
Sorry to hear you are having problems. You will need to return your device to your reseller for replacement.

We have spent a lot of time investigating the issues, with production line testing changes, and a better keyboard design. So these issues should go away in the near future as the changes get through the system.
Is there any way to know if a recently (May) purchased Pi 400 unit incorporates these changes? Out of curiosity, what changes have there been?

In my location (US), my retailer only has a 30-day return policy, and the nearest one to me is 2 hours away, so the common advice to return any problematic units isn't very practical or economic. Fortunately I have not had issues with my Pi 400, but it hasn't been tested terribly hard. In contrast, I tested my Official Pi Keyboard for a week as my daily driver, and I had to stop the test early because of unreliable actuation of keys (most often, failing to actuate, or double actuation). But it was far too late to return (though within a year, IIRC), and it was too far from the retailer (shipping costs would have eaten the majority of the potential return credit anyway).

If there is a way to similarly test the Pi 400 as a keyboard only, I'm not sure similar results would matter a whole lot - I'm beyond 30 days, and even if I were not, I don't know how I would be able to insist upon any replacement being from the re-designed pile. Would that it were otherwise - but hopefully, the one I bought in May does indeed reflect the design improvements.

jamesh

Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:19 pm

I have no idea what is or isn't in the supply chain or when things may have changed. If your 400 is working fine, then its fine. I believe issues like this show up immediately.

prestoforresto

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 am

I bought the pi 400 because it was available, I couldn't find my pi 3 and I had a few dollars to waste.
Buying a stand alone buy and a separate keyboard is a wiser choice as the keyboard is the weak link (and no 3.5 audio out!)

that being said after a couple of days the keyboard seems fine, it just took a bit of time to get used to.

Joop99

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 am

Not good. Right hand side give during typing double or even triple characters even if you just typed for onne. Like this. Returning is possible, but the cost for sending return and getting a new wil be close to the price of a complete unit. Not to say lots of trouble with your already more personalised setup on the memory card. And then the problem that the return unit could have other defects.

jamesh

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:13 am

Joop99 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 am
Not good. Right hand side give during typing double or even triple characters even if you just typed for onne. Like this. Returning is possible, but the cost for sending return and getting a new wil be close to the price of a complete unit. Not to say lots of trouble with your already more personalised setup on the memory card. And then the problem that the return unit could have other defects.
That is faulty and should be returned. Unfortunately, we cannot comment on the cost of returning, that is out of our control.

The latest units should not exhibit any keyboard problems.

kerry_s

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am

it's the sd card slot that really sucks on the pi400.
i just moved the keyboard today & the sd card shot out, it won't lock in anymore.
lucky it boots from usb.
i tried to follow a youtube vid to fix but i think i messed it up more. :|

i hope the next keyboard version uses the pi4 sd slot, not spring lock.

kerry_s

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:43 am

ammonitida wrote:
onboard is way better. you can select layouts & customize
my keyboard toggle script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$(pgrep onboard)" != "" ]; then
        pkill onboard
    else
        onboard
fi
exit 0
Attachments
2021-07-28-014049_1920x1080_scrot.png
2021-07-28-014049_1920x1080_scrot.png (181.39 KiB) Viewed 132 times

jamesh

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 am

kerry_s wrote:
i just moved the keyboard today & the sd card shot out, it won't lock in anymore.
lucky it boots from usb.

They need to be clicky as you cannot grip them well enough to remove otherwise. Not sure what has happened to yours, sounds like an odd failure.

kerry_s

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:54 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 am
kerry_s wrote:
lucky it boots from usb.

They need to be clicky as you cannot grip them well enough to remove otherwise. Not sure what has happened to yours, sounds like an odd failure.
the slot could be cupped/sunken, deep enough to stick 2 finger tips in to grab.
not a big deal i just went back to usb ssd.

i'm most likely going to use my raspad 3 more, i have 3 different os's ready to see which works best, the waiting is killing me. :lol:
Attachments
2021-07-28-015340_923x224_scrot.png
2021-07-28-015340_923x224_scrot.png (45.17 KiB) Viewed 115 times

Return to “Raspberry Pi 400”