jas20001978

Pi400 Sub Par Keyboard

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Hello this is my first post on here. I recently purchased a few Pi bits for the kids. A Pi400 and Pi4 with official keyboard. The Pi4 with official keyboard types perfectly but the Pi400 is next to hopeless. From day one keys double type e.g typing o or l especially will result in ooo or ll. Other keys are also affected but less of an issue. The Pi400 works perfectly with the official keyboard but that is obviously not good enough.

I am new to Raspberry and have tried conacting Raspberry foundation with little success. I have emailed with no response and I know it says support emails will not be responded to so have phoned multiple times with no success. The PI400 was purchased from amazon about 2 mths ago but I have only recently opened and started using.

Amazon have said that I need to contact Raspberry for support before they can esculate but Amazon also say that they cannot get through on the phone to Raspberry.

Does anyone know of a direct line for support at all or an email where I can possibly contact someone.

Thanks

Jason

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi400 Sub Par Keyboard

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi,

We don't actually have tech support phone number, so that's why you won't be able to get through.

As for the Pi400 issue, this is clearly a HW fault, and should be returned to the supplier.

James Hughes
Raspberry Pi engineer.

(Hopefully that should be good enough for Amazon, although note that we DO NOT supply to Amazon, so you are presumably dealing with a third party selling through Amazon)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

electronicstoday

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 pm

jas20001978 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm
Hello this is my first post on here. I recently purchased a few Pi bits for the kids. A Pi400 and Pi4 with official keyboard. The Pi4 with official keyboard types perfectly but the Pi400 is next to hopeless. From day one keys double type e.g typing o or l especially will result in ooo or ll. Other keys are also affected but less of an issue. The Pi400 works perfectly with the official keyboard but that is obviously not good enough.

I am new to Raspberry and have tried conacting Raspberry foundation with little success. I have emailed with no response and I know it says support emails will not be responded to so have phoned multiple times with no success. The PI400 was purchased from amazon about 2 mths ago but I have only recently opened and started using.

Amazon have said that I need to contact Raspberry for support before they can esculate but Amazon also say that they cannot get through on the phone to Raspberry.

Does anyone know of a direct line for support at all or an email where I can possibly contact someone.

Thanks

Jason
There seems to be an increasing number of instances of the KB hardware being unfit for purpose. You are right, this simply isn't good enough. They need to fix this on the double.

Gavinmc42

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:18 am

There seems to be an increasing number of instances of the KB hardware being unfit for purpose
Increasing number of Pi400 getting out to people?

Wonder if it is a mechanical issue or edge case?

Edit - the Pi400 design seems to be based on a Supermarket sold Bluetooth keyboard that has been around for ages.
I have two white ones and two black ones in my collection as spares, I got they on sale.
Maybe because people complained?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 am

We are aware of an issue with some keyboards, the test regime has already been improved, and other mitigations are in progress.

So, yes, we are "on the double". Do people really believe that we just sit on reports like this and do nothing? Just because you cannot see things happening, doesn't means things are not happening. An awful lot of work goes on behind the scenes at the manufacturing sites to make sure the product leaves to door the best it can be, and that process is constantly being improved.

Just a bit of information about keyboards. They are all made in China, and all to similar designs by multiple manufacturers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

electronicstoday

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:39 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:18 am
There seems to be an increasing number of instances of the KB hardware being unfit for purpose
Increasing number of Pi400 getting out to people?

Wonder if it is a mechanical issue or edge case?

Edit - the Pi400 design seems to be based on a Supermarket sold Bluetooth keyboard that has been around for ages.
I have two white ones and two black ones in my collection as spares, I got they on sale.
Maybe because people complained?
Hello. Would you mind telling me the make and model of the supermarket KB, thank you ever so much :)

electronicstoday

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:49 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 am
We are aware of an issue with some keyboards, the test regime has already been improved, and other mitigations are in progress.

So, yes, we are "on the double". Do people really believe that we just sit on reports like this and do nothing? Just because you cannot see things happening, doesn't means things are not happening. An awful lot of work goes on behind the scenes at the manufacturing sites to make sure the product leaves to door the best it can be, and that process is constantly being improved.

Just a bit of information about keyboards. They are all made in China, and all to similar designs by multiple manufacturers.

I don't think I phrased it well, I am sorry.

Gavinmc42

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:27 am

Hello. Would you mind telling me the make and model of the supermarket KB, thank you ever so much :)
Supermarket brand, pretty sure it is not exclusive.
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... h-keyboard
It looks like this one.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... -jbbtkybsr

Different printing and leds but the keys look similar and the silicone pads might just fit.
I got them on sale, normally I would not pay $20 :lol:
Might be usable as spares parts for the Pi keyboards.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

thradtke

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:17 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:27 am
Might be usable as spares parts for the Pi keyboards.
I have the same keyboard. Works quite well, like it, but physical layout differs from the german Pi400 model at least, so the top shelf too would need to move over to the Pi. Not good. But I think this would be a nice solution otherwise.
Rocket Scientist.

Return to “Raspberry Pi 400”