ebaruk

UBUNTU 20.04 boot up directlly from SSD

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi,

With latest stable firmware upgrade on RPi 4-8GB:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eepr ... e-notes.md

Is it possible to directly boot up (ubuntu 20.04) from SSD disc ?
Are there any limitations ..., or this works same as for RPi OS ?

Thank You for helping in advance...

goney3

Re: UBUNTU 20.04 boot up directlly from SSD

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Martinez229 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Enter BIOS, choose boot from Ubuntu installation medium.
How do you, "Enter BIOS" on a Raspberry Pi? From my limited understanding that is not possible?
Martinez229 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:23 pm
In Ubuntu Installation type, choose Something else. UPSers
What is with the weird link to a knock-off UPS Employee Only weblink? How is that related to Ubuntu on SSD exactly?

goney3

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm

ebaruk wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:43 pm
Is it possible to directly boot up (ubuntu 20.04) from SSD disc ?
From what I have been able to see online, Berry Boot has managed to get multiple OS's working on SSD on the Pi4
However, I have not been able to find any content that shows how to install Ubuntu or any other OS on SSD for the Pi4 outside of whatever magic Berry Boot is doing to make it work.

This is disappointing seeing that Ubuntu Core just released its Appliances, and we can't use them with SSD :(

PiUser10

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 pm

I don't think berryboot has any magic, as far as I can tell it runs all sub OS installed under its own kernel (at present from 4.19 branch I think)
and just mounts the rootfs , ignoring any boot partition that OS may once have had.
Hence Ubuntu I guess is not using its built in boot system (based I think on uBoot) which does not appear to work from SSD.
This is why a standard image can not be installed in berryboot but must have the second root partition extracted
and re-packaged.
Whilst berryboot works well if you want to run an os with say a 5.4 linux kernel this will not as far as I can tell
be possible as such an OS will use the berryboot 4.19 kernel tree and modules (all be it in 64 bit mode for Pi 4 now).
I found this to be a major stumbling block as I wanted to run RaspiOS 64 bit beta BUT with the supplied 5.4 64 bit kernel.
Now it is possible to run with the supplied OS image using PINN but this requires that the SSD be setup from day 1 with the number
of different OS images that will be eventually used (Project spaces can be used to reserve space for replacement with alternate OS at a later date). Again this is OK but a bit restrictive compared to Berryboot just add images as you wish and of course does not support Ubuntu as far as I can tell.
So if only we could have the image flexibility of Berryboot with the ability to run the installed OS supplied kernel we would have a perfect
multi OS on a single SSD system.
This is how I understand Berryboot ans PINN to work but if anyone can shed further light on the processes please feel free to expand on this.

kazin08

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:14 am

You CAN'T boot directly from USB Ubuntu 20.04 yet. As far as you can get is a boot screen from U-BOOT and that's all. I think that ubuntu has to modify U-BOOT to get this work.

You can boot form USB Raspbian or ubuntu 18.04 (i think)

Or you can boot form SD and modify the cmdline.txt to tell to load Ubuntu from your SSD/HDD.

I'm using it since 2 weeks and work great! without using berryboot (that give me some errors with ubuntu desktop 20.04)

Regards

ebaruk

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:43 pm

kazin08 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:14 am
You CAN'T boot directly from USB Ubuntu 20.04 yet. As far as you can get is a boot screen from U-BOOT and that's all. I think that ubuntu has to modify U-BOOT to get this work.

You can boot form USB Raspbian or ubuntu 18.04 (i think)

Or you can boot form SD and modify the cmdline.txt to tell to load Ubuntu from your SSD/HDD.

I'm using it since 2 weeks and work great! without using berryboot (that give me some errors with ubuntu desktop 20.04)

Regards
Well this is what I call good support and answer...
from someone actually using it :!: . THANK YOU so much :)

Yeah like I expected/reading...
So You think...I should...?

a)
wait for UBUNTU to make some upgrades/changes.... (not sure how long it will take ??)

b)
Go with your suggestion:
By the way...You have some "code lines"/guide how to make changes to "cmdline.txt"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My plan is to use SSD 500GB (Samsung EVO)..not because I want get fast response but only because
I will be using SNORT3 on my RPI-4/8GB and there will be a looooot of logs written over and over and I would like to avoid SD card..

Once again than You so much for the tips and the time!

JonG

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:38 am

The changes needed for transferring system activity to an SSD after booting from an SD are well covered in:
https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... sh-drives/

You should pay particular attention to the "quirks" issue, related to the SATA/USB adapter you use.

The article describes what is needed for Raspbian. The only change for Ubuntu 20.04 is that the changes on the SD card are NOT made to /boot/cmdline.txt, but to /boot/firmware/nobtcmd.txt

I have set this up with a 500GB WD Blue SSD. I needed to add "quirks" to get it to work, but the performance is good.

ebaruk

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:47 pm

JonG wrote:
The changes needed for transferring system activity to an SSD after booting from an SD are well covered in:

You should pay particular attention to the "quirks" issue, related to the SATA/USB adapter you use.

The article describes what is needed for Raspbian. The only change for Ubuntu 20.04 is that the changes on the SD card are NOT made to /boot/cmdline.txt, but to /boot/firmware/nobtcmd.txt

I have set this up with a 500GB WD Blue SSD. I needed to add "quirks" to get it to work, but the performance is good.
Thank You very much... :)
I will get to it as soon as my "500GB SSD" arrives in next few days.
Enjoy Your day ;)

kazin08

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm

JonG wrote:

Well i manage to install my USB to SATA adapter without doing the "quirk" and it's a cheap adapter. The only thing is that the HDD (i'm using HDD WD blue) when i reboot one time the HDD power OFF and the Power ON again, but in the second reboot it never power off and the pi can't boot. So for now i don't find any solution for this, becaouse i think it's a firmware problem.

and from the cmdline.txt i always have to modify the file from the SD and it's cmdline.txt, the other one is from your SSD/HDD and the boot don't use it.

Regards.

ranrinc

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:01 am

If you need to boot up from SSD via microSD then this is simply changes the cmdline.txt easily. However currently it wont boot without microSD or if I'm mistaken maybe someone could guide me toward the light

user_not_found

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:44 pm

JonG wrote:
I am using this WAVLINK USB 3.0 to SATA I/II/III Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077X83L1H

How can I check if it's going to work in my case?

JonG

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:34 pm

If the adapter is not in the list on James Chambers' site, all you can do is try and see if it works.

kazin08

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:40 am

To boot drectly from USB just see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=278791

Regards

thatchunkylad198966

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm

kazin08 wrote:

Regards
Doesn't work, I posted why in the said thread.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

jsciamms

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:10 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm
kazin08 wrote:

Regards
Doesn't work, I posted why in the said thread.
The above post has been updated to resolve the issue mentioned by @thatchuncklad. The Ubuntu image should last past updates, just follow the directions in the post.

The problem happened after any unattended updates. All updates, unattended or otherwise should not break the system now.

user_not_found

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 am

Is there any way to multi-boot Ubuntu or LibreELEC from SSD? Except for berryboot. I haven't found anything on how to dual-boot from SSD outside of berryboot.I wouldn't mind PINN but I don't think they have Ubuntu.

Return to “Ubuntu”