dockvickers

Zoom Support for Raspberry Pi 4 and Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:30 pm

As we have been forced to become an online society literally overnight, many students and families have no computers. The Chromebooks that are being handed out here are proving to be just another headache and increase the trauma for parents, students and schools alike.

I chose to develop a configuration of Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop for the Raspberry Pi 4 because it operates very fully and is the fastest, simplest and most reliable way to configure an interface that is enough like OSx to relax any user. I have been using since the day Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop was released for this device, with 100% uptime. I did this because I was already seeing a deficit in the number of households who could afford a reliable computer for homework. I set the configuration up free of charge and have a unit in the field now with three students who argue over who gets to use it next. I want every computer user who needs a computer to have a computer. That being said, here is the remaining issue in my part of the world.

The schools are using Zoom meeting and Goto Meeting to facilitate the online, instructor-led portions of their classes. Audio and video via computer are required. Phone traffic makes phone audio and video almost impossible. Providers were not ready for an online world to pop up overnight. Can someone please adapt the Zoom app to the Arm processor in the Raspberry Pi 4 for Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop? It is the only larger hurdle left. There could be a Pi in every home. Students love to buy additional cards and play with Raspian and other operating systems and learning from the many available projects. I will be willing to be the guinea pig for this, just please do this. I feel that this device will be living up to so much more of its mission than ever imagined.

Botspot

Re: Zoom Support for Raspberry Pi 4 and Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 pm

dockvickers wrote:
Can someone please adapt the Zoom app to the Arm processor in the Raspberry Pi 4 for Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop?
just please do this.
It appears the source code is actually available. That is rare for a Windows app.

Your best bet is to probably use the Zoom Chrome app. It ought to work fine without a hassle.

The other option would be to compile the electron app, but if you want a easy and reliable way to do it, I would just stick with the chrome app.
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Botspot wrote:

It appears the source code is actually available. That is rare for a Windows app.
With that it may be possible to compile and run with Wine (no X86 needed). Or compile and run with Mono (if it's a UWP).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Botspot

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:06 pm

DougieLawson wrote: With that it may be possible to compile and run with Wine (no X86 needed). Or compile and run with Mono (if it's a UWP).
I doubt that would end well. Considering Zoom is video chat software, I don't think it would playback HW accelerated. I think the best options are the electron app or the chrome app.
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Botspot wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:06 pm
DougieLawson wrote: With that it may be possible to compile and run with Wine (no X86 needed). Or compile and run with Mono (if it's a UWP).
I doubt that would end well. Considering Zoom is video chat software, I don't think it would playback HW accelerated. I think the best options are the electron app or the chrome app.
I didn't say it's desirable and I have no point in doing that for three reasons 1) I don't have a RPi4, 2) I've got a perfectly good Win10 system and 3) I can't accept the faults in the Zoom security model.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

zwieblum

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Zoom has no faults in the security, it's designed that way.
Looking for professional help? https://klepp.biz

Botspot

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:17 pm

DougieLawson wrote: I can't accept the faults in the Zoom security model.
zwieblum wrote:
Rule #1 of the Forums: Don't contradict DougieLawson, unless you're trying to start a flame war. :lol:
Over 50,000 users!

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:46 pm

dockvickers wrote:
As we have been forced to become an online society literally overnight, many students and families have no computers. The Chromebooks that are being handed out here are proving to be just another headache and increase the trauma for parents, students and schools alike.

I chose to develop a configuration of Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop for the Raspberry Pi 4 because it operates very fully and is the fastest, simplest and most reliable way to configure an interface that is enough like OSx to relax any user. I have been using since the day Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop was released for this device, with 100% uptime. I did this because I was already seeing a deficit in the number of households who could afford a reliable computer for homework. I set the configuration up free of charge and have a unit in the field now with three students who argue over who gets to use it next. I want every computer user who needs a computer to have a computer. That being said, here is the remaining issue in my part of the world.

The schools are using Zoom meeting and Goto Meeting to facilitate the online, instructor-led portions of their classes. Audio and video via computer are required. Phone traffic makes phone audio and video almost impossible. Providers were not ready for an online world to pop up overnight. Can someone please adapt the Zoom app to the Arm processor in the Raspberry Pi 4 for Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop? It is the only larger hurdle left. There could be a Pi in every home. Students love to buy additional cards and play with Raspian and other operating systems and learning from the many available projects. I will be willing to be the guinea pig for this, just please do this. I feel that this device will be living up to so much more of its mission than ever imagined.

Raspbian Buster is the Operating System developed by RPT / RPF surely it would get more notice developing on this considering the outreach in education of the Raspberry Pi Foundation ??
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:05 pm

zwieblum wrote:
I think that's a good corollary to my comment.

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Botspot wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:17 pm
Rule #1 of the Forums: Don't contradict DougieLawson, unless you're trying to start a flame war. :lol:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I've not yet started any flame 🔥 wars. Don't tempt me.

If you like contradicting me you'll end up on my foes list in short time.

waveform80

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Botspot wrote:
dockvickers wrote:
Can someone please adapt the Zoom app to the Arm processor in the Raspberry Pi 4 for Ubuntu Server 19.01 Desktop?
just please do this.
I'm afraid I don't think that's the application's source code (which doesn't surprise me too much - I would've been frankly amazed if Zoom was open source!). I had a dig around the repos - there's some SDKs for embedding a Zoom client in an existing application (e.g. zoom-sdk-macos, zoom-sdk-android, zoom-sdk-windows), some out of date API docs (api-v1 and api), lots of sample code (sample-app-node, sample-app-ionic, etc.) but have a dig into some of those and see if you can find the actual client - I can't.

For example, have a dig into zoom-sdk-windows and you'll find lots of pre-compiled binary bits under /bin, a pre-compiled binary under /lib, lots of header files (presumably for all the things you can call in the lib) under /h, and the only source code in there is under demo/.
Botspot wrote:
Your best bet is to probably use the Zoom Chrome app. It ought to work fine without a hassle.

The other option would be to compile the electron app, but if you want a easy and reliable way to do it, I would just stick with the chrome app.
The electron SDK also looks like it's full of pre-compiled bits for Windows and Mac OS only (dig around under sdk/ in there).

Sorry!

Dave.
Author of / contributor to a few pi related things (picamera, Sense HAT emulator, gpio-zero, piwheels, etc.), and currently a software engineer at Canonical responsible for Ubuntu Server and Core on the Raspberry Pi.

hippy

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Last edited by hippy on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Botspot

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:28 pm

hippy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:46 pm
Zoom does appear to work on Android so it could be worth someone installing Android or even Android Things on a Pi, giving it a go

there's also a web version
Guys! Why tinker with Android when there's a Zoom Chrome app that Just Works® ?
Screenshot:
2020-04-03-112238_1280x1024_scrot.png
2020-04-03-112238_1280x1024_scrot.png (252.89 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
Edit: Zoom launches OK, but I have had zero success actually connecting to a meeting with it. Sorry for the misinformation. :oops:
Last edited by Botspot on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over 50,000 users!

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:34 pm

What are you using for audio-in?

Botspot

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:34 pm
What are you using for audio-in?
Either the microphone built into my webcam, or I use my usb mike.
(I do video chats on my Pi 4 often)
Over 50,000 users!

hippy

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Botspot wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:28 pm
Guys! Why tinker with Android when there's a Zoom Chrome app that Just Works® ?
For some measure of "just works".

Installed and started, I entered a meeting ID and name and it sits on a spinning "@ Connecting..."

Closed the Window and can't for the life of me figure out to activate the Zoom sign-in again - any hints ? - Start Menu, Chromium Apps - Still only spinning :(

geev03

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:32 am

Zoom works ,for me, without any issues on Android /iOS/ Windows. Tried it on Raspberry Pi 4 ,using various distros, and there is NO joy yet even on Ubuntu 20.04 :cry:
Attachments
zoom_problem.jpg
zoom_problem.jpg (148.18 KiB) Viewed 8551 times

Giga_Pi

Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:21 pm

I have found zoom to not work well with Linux. I have attempted An average budget computer with Ubuntu, and Pi4. Audio was choppy, and not great.

Besides, zoom is not the best. You have to pay for it. If you don't, you only get 45 minutes. A personal favorite of mine is Google Hangouts. I haven't got a camera yet, but have used with a USB microphone, and have found it highly reliable fo me. But as a believer of choice in the world of software, each to his own!
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

mshirvaikar

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:36 pm

I have installed the Zoom Chrome app on my Raspberry Pi 4. It starts up fine but when I try to join a meeting it just keeps spinning with the message "Connecting ...". Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks, mvs

zooropean

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:21 pm
I have found zoom to not work well with Linux. I have attempted An average budget computer with Ubuntu, and Pi4. Audio was choppy, and not great.

Besides, zoom is not the best. You have to pay for it. If you don't, you only get 45 minutes. A personal favorite of mine is Google Hangouts. I haven't got a camera yet, but have used with a USB microphone, and have found it highly reliable fo me. But as a believer of choice in the world of software, each to his own!
Well Zoom is what is being used by our kids' school so I want to have another device that I can use it on.

hippy

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm

mshirvaikar wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:36 pm
I have installed the Zoom Chrome app on my Raspberry Pi 4. It starts up fine but when I try to join a meeting it just keeps spinning with the message "Connecting ...".
Same for me on a Pi 3B. The same Chrome App run under Chrome on Windows 7 connected just fine so it seems it's not an issue with my network, router, or what I'm connecting with.

Does anyone know if there's a log file anywhere or diagnostics which can be turned on which might show what's going on, what's preventing the connection ?

hippy

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 pm

WODAK wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Try a different approach as I said in some other thread

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&start=50
It would be better to get Zoom working on a Pi under Chromium if we could. It seems to work to some degree for some but not all. Would be nice to know why and fix that.

I'd personally use Windows where it seems to work just fine if I wanted a different approach and that's much easier than faffing about with an Android phone. Especially as all mine have one camera, on the back, not the front.

Giga_Pi

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:34 am

hippy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 pm
WODAK wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Try a different approach as I said in some other thread

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=267946&start=50
It would be better to get Zoom working on a Pi under Chromium if we could. It seems to work to some degree for some but not all. Would be nice to know why and fix that.

I'd personally use Windows where it seems to work just fine if I wanted a different approach and that's much easier than faffing about with an Android phone. Especially as all mine have one camera, on the back, not the front.
I find Zoom doesn't work well under linux anyway. It could just be the way I use it (in the web browser), but some one needs to find what makes linux and zoom disagree (I'm afraid I'm not good enough to do that) .
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

zooropean

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:58 pm

poggino wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 am
I am trying to install ubuntu does not finish the installation is stopped. I have read that with the 4Gb ram B model it is not yet compatible, you can confirm if it is possible to install ubuntu and how it can be done.

Thank you
I actually installed Ubuntu last night to try and see if the Ubuntu Zoom Client would work. It does not since it's not made for ARM.

I have tried everything to get Zoom to work well with my RPI4 but it just isn't good enough.

Unless someone else has other ideas I am going to return the RPI4 and look at just sticking with a PC.

Return to “Ubuntu”