ChasTech

Ubuntu64Pi - semi-automated image builder for Ubuntu 19.10 for 64-bit Pi's

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:36 pm

A few months ago I released a semi-automated generator for Debian images that would utilise the Pi 3 and 4's power to the max by using ARM64/ARMv8 instead of ARM32/ARMv7.

A few days ago I was messing around with the script, and then thought "What if I get Ubuntu running instead?"

So I modified the script, got rid of the RPF-based kernel and got in the linux-raspi2 kernel which makes Ubuntu on the Pi truly Ubuntu, adapted everything to Ubuntu, then built an image. 30 minutes later, I was running Ubuntu on my Raspberry Pi installing the Ubuntu desktop environmnent. The GNOME one. And yes, the GNOME desktop worked, in fact I'm typing from my Pi 4 running GNOME now and it's running smooth as (I did need the V3D driver though for it to work).

This isn't like the Ubuntu Pi Flavour Maker images that have a ton of Raspbian software on which ruin the authentic experience of Ubuntu. This isn't far from stock Ubuntu 19.10. It uses the Ubuntu linux-raspi2 kernel, makes strong use of the Pi's hardware, and is snappy and a beautiful experience for any Ubuntu lover or any user who wants a great desktop experience on their Pi not far off from a desktop PC.

You can read about how to work the script on its GitHub page. As I said, it's semi-automated, and does require some user interaction. It has three stages: stage1, where the basics of the image are set up; stage2, where most of the system is set up, including the kernel, DE, basic tools of Ubuntu, etc; and stage3, where the image is unmounted from the host system and ready to flash.

I will be releasing some prebuilt images soon including ones for different DEs. Unlike Debian, these images and generator are cross-compatible; they will work on both the Pi 3 and 4 without any modifications.

You can find the repo here. Notify me of any bugs, as squashing them is important to this project's future.
If apples give you apple pie, bananas give you banana pie, pears give you pear pie, and cherries give you cherry pie, then what do raspberries give you?

A Raspberry Pi :lol:

ChasTech

Re: Ubuntu64Pi - semi-automated image builder for Ubuntu 19.10 for 64-bit Pi's

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Bump
If apples give you apple pie, bananas give you banana pie, pears give you pear pie, and cherries give you cherry pie, then what do raspberries give you?

A Raspberry Pi :lol:

Giga_Pi

Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm

ChasTech wrote:
A few months ago I released a semi-automated generator for Debian images that would utilise the Pi 3 and 4's power to the max by using ARM64/ARMv8 instead of ARM32/ARMv7.

A few days ago I was messing around with the script, and then thought "What if I get Ubuntu running instead?"

So I modified the script, got rid of the RPF-based kernel and got in the linux-raspi2 kernel which makes Ubuntu on the Pi truly Ubuntu, adapted everything to Ubuntu, then built an image. 30 minutes later, I was running Ubuntu on my Raspberry Pi installing the Ubuntu desktop environmnent. The GNOME one. And yes, the GNOME desktop worked, in fact I'm typing from my Pi 4 running GNOME now and it's running smooth as (I did need the V3D driver though for it to work).

This isn't like the Ubuntu Pi Flavour Maker images that have a ton of Raspbian software on which ruin the authentic experience of Ubuntu. This isn't far from stock Ubuntu 19.10. It uses the Ubuntu linux-raspi2 kernel, makes strong use of the Pi's hardware, and is snappy and a beautiful experience for any Ubuntu lover or any user who wants a great desktop experience on their Pi not far off from a desktop PC.

You can read about how to work the script on its GitHub page. As I said, it's semi-automated, and does require some user interaction. It has three stages: stage1, where the basics of the image are set up; stage2, where most of the system is set up, including the kernel, DE, basic tools of Ubuntu, etc; and stage3, where the image is unmounted from the host system and ready to flash.

I will be releasing some prebuilt images soon including ones for different DEs. Unlike Debian, these images and generator are cross-compatible; they will work on both the Pi 3 and 4 without any modifications.

You can find the repo here. Notify me of any bugs, as squashing them is important to this project's future.
Nice. can this be updated to Ubuntu 20.04? Hows HW acceleration?

Can this be done with any OS? That might be interesting...
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Source code here: https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi

Pi4 4GB with Manjaro ARM KDE

Giga_Pi

Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm
ChasTech wrote:

Nice. can this be updated to Ubuntu 20.04? Hows HW acceleration?

Can this be done with any OS? That might be interesting...
Just noticed is using software rendering :(
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Source code here: https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi

Pi4 4GB with Manjaro ARM KDE

Return to “Ubuntu”