snakad

Raspberry PI 4B and Ubuntu 19.10

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 am

Hello everybody,

First of all thanks for everything i really love your content and device.

So, i bought the Raspberry PI 4B for basically watch on my tv Youtube, Netflix and perhaps use internet with a wireless keyboard or game pad :D

So i checked internet etc, and installed kodi libreelec in fact is not complicated at all but, was bored to have application like Playstation interface and not a real desktop (or kind of).

I finally installed Ubuntu 19.10 / 64 bits with the ubuntu desktop but !! It's laggy as hell with firefox video are not smooth at all and for netflix he simply say something is wrong when i try to run a movie.

I do not, overclock my CPU / GPU i would like to know your opinion about that's because i have an flirc case is it an off ? Or i perhaps need a fan as well...

Also do you think if the OC of CPU / GPU help or solved the issues it will be more smart to install Lubuntu instead of ubuntu.

Sorry for my long text and all questions thanks a lot in advance :D

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry PI 4B and Ubuntu 19.10

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am

Use Raspbian, not Ubuntu. You won't notice the difference, and you get the official OS with all the correct optimisations.

You might be able to overlock as well for more speed, but that depends on the silicon.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

snakad

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Alright i will first try to OC for see and if not change i will reinstall all with Raspbian.

But normally, for everybody it should be smooth right ? Is it normal or not in my case ?

cjan

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm

snakad wrote:
Alright i will first try to OC for see and if not change i will reinstall all with Raspbian.

But normally, for everybody it should be smooth right ? Is it normal or not in my case ?
there never smooth, its server version, tons of server services & modules preloaded.
if you want apt things, goto raspbian.

B.Goode

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:23 pm

snakad wrote:

The Moderators here don't need my support. But I'll add it anyway...

The remit for this subforum has the text
Not official, please use the Canonical Forum for Ubuntu tech support.
Ref: viewforum.php?f=56

Raspberry Pi offer a supported operating system, Raspbian, that works on all Raspberry Pi boards.

You are free to choose to run a third-party Operating System from some other source. In which case it seems reasonable to me that your support should come from the developer/maintainer of that alternative.

snakad

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:38 pm

First of all big thanks for all your quick / fast support really cool.

I'm sorry because i com from windows only and last time i touch an Linux distribution was in 2007 with Ubuntu 7...

So this is why i'm a bit lost with all that's ! So thanks by 1000 i will tonight just try with the OC how is going on and then install Raspbian.

Will let you know thanks by 100

waveform80

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm

snakad wrote:

The Ubuntu desktop packages haven't received any kind of optimization for the Pi so I wouldn't expect them to operate particularly smoothly, no. At the moment, the focus is very much on the server side of things (although there are some community driven efforts like Ubuntu MATE which probably provide a better experience). However, I'd echo James' recommendation here: Raspbian is currently the best desktop option for the Pi.
Author of / contributor to a few pi related things (picamera, Sense HAT emulator, gpio-zero, piwheels, etc.), and currently a software engineer at Canonical responsible for Ubuntu Server and Core on the Raspberry Pi.

B.Goode

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:09 pm

waveform80 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm
snakad wrote:

The Ubuntu desktop packages haven't received any kind of optimization for the Pi so I wouldn't expect them to operate particularly smoothly, no. At the moment, the focus is very much on the server side of things (although there are some community driven efforts like Ubuntu MATE which probably provide a better experience). However, I'd echo James' recommendation here: Raspbian is currently the best desktop option for the Pi.

To emphasise, for @snakad, who may not otherwise understand the affiliation and significance of your contribution:
waveform80 wrote:First of all, introductions: I'm Dave Jones. Some of you will know me from things like picamera, piwheels, pisense, gpio-zero and so forth (he says, sounding like Troy McClure). Nowadays, I'm also on the Canonical Foundations team, with responsibility for Ubuntu on the Pi which means:
You can blame me for a lot of the things mentioned on this thread!
This is probably the wrong place to discuss a lot of this; there's absolutely no point complaining to the fine folks at the Pi Foundation about Ubuntu. Bug me instead (see below for more information on how to bug Dave)!
As already mentioned by others, https://ubuntuforums.org/ and https://askubuntu.com/ are good places to ask about things like this. In particular, I trawl the "raspberrypi" tag on the latter in spare moments (which are few and far between in the run-up to a release, but will be a bit more plentiful now).

Return to “Ubuntu”