titanichedgehog

Installing Ubuntu Mate on Pi 3

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Good Afternoon,

Apologies in advance if I am posting in an incorrect area, new to the forum.

I have recently purchased a Pi 3 and began running Raspbian, purely as it came with the device. I would prefer to run Ubuntu Mate as I'm finding Raspbian to be a little bit limited for what I want to do.

I have downloaded the latest Ubuntu Mate and extracted the file. It is just below 5GB. To my knowledge (albeit limited when it comes to Linux), I have to use FAT32, as Linux OS' do not recognize NTFS. Due to the restrictions on file sizes I cannot write the Mate image to my SD card as it is over the limit for a single file using FAT32.

Is there a simple work around for this? I am using windows to write to the SD card, and I'm not computer savvy enough to find a way to compress the file (if possible on a disk image).

TIA.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing Ubuntu Mate on Pi 3

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:42 pm

titanichedgehog wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Good Afternoon,

Apologies in advance if I am posting in an incorrect area, new to the forum.

I have recently purchased a Pi 3 and began running Raspbian, purely as it came with the device. I would prefer to run Ubuntu Mate as I'm finding Raspbian to be a little bit limited for what I want to do.

I have downloaded the latest Ubuntu Mate and extracted the file. It is just below 5GB. To my knowledge (albeit limited when it comes to Linux), I have to use FAT32, as Linux OS' do not recognize NTFS. Due to the restrictions on file sizes I cannot write the Mate image to my SD card as it is over the limit for a single file using FAT32.

Is there a simple work around for this? I am using windows to write to the SD card, and I'm not computer savvy enough to find a way to compress the file (if possible on a disk image).

TIA.

The download is in .img.xz format, if you offer that to Etcher it will take that and undertake all the magic to create a bootable SD Card:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Do not faff around trying to extract or format, Etcher does all that !
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Return to “Ubuntu”