jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Claim for an Ubuntu sub-forum

Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:47 am
I have a Star Trek themed seven inch single by Spizzenergi.
"Where's captain Kirk?"
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Volker Dirr

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 pm

I totally understand why Ubuntu shouldn't be supported here; I agree with that.
I also understand why other OS might stay.
But i also understand why guys ask about ubuntu here. (For example because they bought the hardware here; they like the guys here and want to share other ideas/projects on other topics here, ...)

But i think there is one small misunderstanding. Guys don't want support by RPF if they ask about ubuntu. They only want to talk with other users here.

I think it is a bit similar to Apple. Apple users also ask about windows stuff in the Apple community. They don't expect support by Apple itself (maybe except of the bootloader. BTW: Anyone knows if Microsoft pay Apple for that support?); they only want to ask the community.

So why don't give them just a forum. At a a sticky note that RPF support is not available in this forum. So you don't wast time in supporting; you don't waste time in writing that the world is unfair; the RPF will earn more money, because more guys will buy a raspberry (since there is a lovely community that helps each other, ...); ...

It is a little bit like in a restaurant: If a visitor buys a meal, but drink his wine from an other store. That is bad. Maybe it is like this. In that case lock the forum.
But maybe it is like a visitor that buys meal and drink, but smoke his cigarette from an other store. hmm... In most countries (if smoking is allowed) this is normal, nobody complain and say: You are only allowed to smoke here if you buy your cigarette in my store.

So i think you might loose a lot of customers if you tell them they are "bad". I fear it is like the inns here. Some years ago there were so many inns. But then law disallowed to smoke in the inns. I understand why that is correct; I myself like it, since i am not smoking. But i also saw the result of that law: a lot of inns didn't got enough customers anymore; so most of they are down and out now.

If a customer talks in the inn, he also don't expect an answer from the bar keeper. He only talks to other guests. Of course the bar keeper can answer if he want, but in normal case they don't do that.

Difficult. I know. But i think one of the upper solutions will be much better then continue "fighting", since "fighting" means only loosing (on both sides).

Heater

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 pm

I kind of, sort of, agree Volker Dirr.

Going with your bar analogy I could say that:

The bar owner does not normally build special rooms and areas for different people to sit and discuss different things. Generally customers all have to mix up together.

Like wise, if one want's to discuss Ubuntu or whatever else there is a place here already to do that.

The bar owner here only has to keep the lights on and keep selling beer, err, Raspberry Pi. We will get along just fine.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Pulsar33

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks to Volker Dirr for his conciliatory argument.

But finally, as already said, we simply ask for a storage of messages about Ubuntu in a Ubuntu sub-forum, nothing more! This will not change anything about RPF's material or human resources.

The reason for the strong reactions is not because of this request but because of a financial conflict between RPF and Canonical. This does not concern the customers!

Have a nice day
Pulsar33
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.3

jamesh

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:30 am

Pulsar33 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 am
Thanks to Volker Dirr for his conciliatory argument.

But finally, as already said, we simply ask for a storage of messages about Ubuntu in a Ubuntu sub-forum, nothing more! This will not change anything about RPF's material or human resources.

The reason for the strong reactions is not because of this request but because of a financial conflict between RPF and Canonical. This does not concern the customers!

Have a nice day
Pulsar33
What financial conflict? There is an argument that says Canonical should pay for their own support, rather than relying on us to provide a forum (where we pay for the bandwidth), but there is no conflict.

Still not heard back from Boss, will ask again.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:26 am

The reason we've been reluctant to do this is that there are *so* many distros we don't support, that the "Other" section is at risk of getting kind of massive. I'm aware, though, that a floodgates argument is almost always a bad one, and you guys are consistent in your requests for an Ubuntu forum: so fill yer boots. It's over here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=131
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am

Thank you. Is some poor sap (Martijn or James) going to move all the old Ubuntu threads over to the new sub-forum?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

jamesh

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am
Thank you. Is some poor sap (Martijn or James) going to move all the old Ubuntu threads over to the new sub-forum?
Hmm, if people flag up Ubuntu stuff when they see them, I'll move stuff over, but won't be actively searching.

Pulsar33

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:12 am

Thank you very much
I hope this will simplify for everybody.
The advertisement on the sub-forum is clear enough and welcome.
Sure, we'll flag the Ubuntu subjects for move request.

Best regards
Pulsar33
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.3

Cob

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Thank-you :)

Fidelius

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:11 pm

Great! Thanks to all who've been involved in making this possible.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Moved this thread to Ubuntu.
p.s. Im not called martijn, its martin, but you knew that didn't you "doughy" :roll: . :P :D

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: STICKY: New Ubuntu sub-forum

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Moved most of this years Ubuntu related posts here.
made this thread into a sticky.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Pulsar33 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:54 pm
Thank you for explanation, but the exact translation of pop isn't clear for me
"Taking a pop" means trying punching him in the face, or criticize him.

Pulsar33

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:50 pm

A bit later scruss had explained the sentence for me and I'd replied it was not the case and why.
No need to relaunch that point now. All is fine. Thanks to all.
Best regards
Pulsar33

Volker Dirr

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:57 pm

The the subtitle of this subforum is a very good idea. Much better then my sticky post suggestion, since the subtitile is much more eye-catching.
A nice win-win solution.

curtvaughan

vnc server for ubuntu 19.10 on raspberry pi 4

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:00 pm

I can't get a successful install of VNC server with my 64-bit Ubuntu installation on a Pi 4. The things that worked just fine on raspbian don't work with Ubuntu. I've tried the Arm version from RealVNC as well as "tightvncserver", and neither will install. I'm thinking that this is due to this being a 64-bit OS and the available VNC server Arm software is 32-bit. Does anyone know of a 64-bit VNC server application for Arm?

jamesh

Re: vnc server for ubuntu 19.10 on raspberry pi 4

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:10 pm

curtvaughan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:00 pm
I can't get a successful install of VNC server with my 64-bit Ubuntu installation on a Pi 4. The things that worked just fine on raspbian don't work with Ubuntu. I've tried the Arm version from RealVNC as well as "tightvncserver", and neither will install. I'm thinking that this is due to this being a 64-bit OS and the available VNC server Arm software is 32-bit. Does anyone know of a 64-bit VNC server application for Arm?
Please start a new thread.

Return to “Ubuntu”