kenthinson

Re: Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) released

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:14 am

@waveform80

Hello. I would like to notify you of a issue I'm experiencing.
I have a Pi3. I am trying to boot the ubuntu image from a USB drive. It fails to boot getting stuck at listing the USB devices.
I tried installing the new kernel
linux-image-5.3.0-1008-raspi2_5.3.0-1008.9+newupdate_arm64.deb
linux-modules-5.3.0-1008-raspi2_5.3.0-1008.9+newupdate_arm64.deb

I did then by first installing to a SD card and then cloning the SD card to my USB drive. This did not fix the issue. My Pi still hangs during boot from USB. I have checked to make sure Raspberrin boots from usb and it's not a issue with the pit. Raspberrin boots without issue.

Lipown

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:03 pm

kenthinson wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:14 am
@waveform80

Hello. I would like to notify you of a issue I'm experiencing.
I have a Pi3. I am trying to boot the ubuntu image from a USB drive. It fails to boot getting stuck at listing the USB devices.
I tried installing the new kernel
linux-image-5.3.0-1008-raspi2_5.3.0-1008.9+newupdate_arm64.deb
linux-modules-5.3.0-1008-raspi2_5.3.0-1008.9+newupdate_arm64.deb

I did then by first installing to a SD card and then cloning the SD card to my USB drive. This did not fix the issue. My Pi still hangs during boot from USB. I have checked to make sure Raspberrin boots from usb and it's not a issue with the pit. Raspberrin boots without issue.
I am really glad that I can actually maybe help for first time. I experienced the same issue. You need more power. I used the powered usb hub and it started to work. Double check if you are booting to the boot folder of your USB device too (SDA2 probably).

phil995511

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:56 pm

MikeDB wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 am
jamesh wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 am
Same suggestion - ask Canonical. Ubuntu is their distro, it's their job to support it. We have our own distro, Raspbian, which we are happy to support.
I think that's a little disingenious Jamesh. You have a new and powerful 64 bit computer with but with only an official 32bit OS so of course people have to look elsewhere such as Ubuntu and Gentoo. I have tried the Raspian 64 bit kernal but that has lots of other problems and is at best a half-hearted solution.

Someone at the top of the Pi foundation really needs to get on top of this and decide to fork Pi software development into two teams, with separate FULL 32 bit and 64 bit OSes, otherwise these problems are going to occur for years to come.

(Of course actually what will happen is the 32 bit version will die a slow death as people buy new hardware but that's hardly to be unexpected. Who uses a PC more than say 5 years old ?)
I completely agree with you MikeDB, it is absolutely not normal that Raspian is not proposed in 64-bit version. I am a systems administrator, I have been doing computer science for 37 years, I have never seen such a situation, such a DIY on the part of people who call themselves engineers ;( I am very shocked by this lack of professionalism.

kenthinson

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:15 pm

phil995511 wrote:
MikeDB wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 am
Same suggestion - ask Canonical. Ubuntu is their distro, it's their job to support it. We have our own distro, Raspbian, which we are happy to support.
I think that's a little disingenious Jamesh. You have a new and powerful 64 bit computer with but with only an official 32bit OS so of course people have to look elsewhere such as Ubuntu and Gentoo. I have tried the Raspian 64 bit kernal but that has lots of other problems and is at best a half-hearted solution.

Someone at the top of the Pi foundation really needs to get on top of this and decide to fork Pi software development into two teams, with separate FULL 32 bit and 64 bit OSes, otherwise these problems are going to occur for years to come.

(Of course actually what will happen is the 32 bit version will die a slow death as people buy new hardware but that's hardly to be unexpected. Who uses a PC more than say 5 years old ?)
I completely agree with you MikeDB, it is absolutely not normal that Raspian is not proposed in 64-bit version. I am a systems administrator, I have been doing computer science for 37 years, I have never seen such a situation, such a DIY on the part of people who call themselves engineers ;( I am very shocked by this lack of professionalism.
I am in agreement with you. Some of the decisions the Raspberry Pi team has made makes no sense to me. For example. They have put off USB booting support for the Pi4 until after they have implemented network booting for the Pi4. I am sure there are many less people trying to netboot the Pi than USB boot it. So now we are going on 5 months past release and still forced to boot from SD card. I also don't care what people say on this forum. SD card is not as reliable as a true SSD. I have seen people arguing that on this forum and it's idiotic. Just because someone has not had a SD card go bad does not change the fact they are made from less reliable memory. and if they really want to make the "I've never had that problem argument" then here is my counter argument. I personally have had 3 SD cards go bad. 1 Samsung and 2 SanDisk. I have never had a SATA or M.2 drive failure.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Right, when people start talking about professionalism with regard to this sort of thing, it really makes we wonder about their complete lack of it. Or at the very least, their lack of insight in to how and why decisions like this are made. It clear to me that that last two posts are made by people with little experience/knowledge in this area, or they would understand exactly why the situation is why it is. It's quite amazing how they think they know better than a company that has sold more SBC's than all the other manufacturers added together, enough SBC's to put them in third place in the total number of computers devices sold (i.e. 3rd place behind the PC and the Mac). So, I say to these people, shut up, or put up. When your SBC's outsells ours, feel free to criticise.

It also means I'm shutting this thread. For those people who are upset about that, blame the last two posters.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 pm

kenthinson wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:15 pm
phil995511 wrote:
MikeDB wrote:

I am in agreement with you. Some of the decisions the Raspberry Pi team has made makes no sense to me. For example. They have put off USB booting support for the Pi4 until after they have implemented network booting for the Pi4. I am sure there are many less people trying to netboot the Pi than USB boot it. So now we are going on 5 months past release and still forced to boot from SD card. I also don't care what people say on this forum. SD card is not as reliable as a true SSD. I have seen people arguing that on this forum and it's idiotic. Just because someone has not had a SD card go bad does not change the fact they are made from less reliable memory. and if they really want to make the "I've never had that problem argument" then here is my counter argument. I personally have had 3 SD cards go bad. 1 Samsung and 2 SanDisk. I have never had a SATA or M.2 drive failure.
Just because you are unable to comprehend decisions made by RPF, doesn't make our decisions wrong, it just means you don't understand.

I've had more SSD's go wrong than SD cards. So what? Statistically irrelevant. SD cards are less reliable than SSD's, but reliable enough for the vast majority of use cases. That appears to be the point you have completely missed.

As for USB booting. Really? Still whining on about that? It's being worked on right now. It's taken second place to netbooting, because that is a larger use case, because more devices want it! It's quite simple. Net boot is also slightly lower hanging fruit.

Because you called other forum users idiotic, you can take a break from posting.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 am

Rather unsurprising had a email to [email protected] about the closing of this thread. Apparently people want to be able to continue the 32/64 debate and thought this was a good place for it.

Clearly Google doesn't work in their area, because this has been discussed to DEATH on other threads, and a thread on Ubuntu is NOT the place for it. There are specific threads about this, use them. However, go around accusing other forum users of being idiots, or us of unprofessionalism, and you get what you deserve.

So no, not reopening this thread.

Return to “Ubuntu”