SuburbanDad

Re: Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) released

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 am

USB is working for me on arm64 after applying this patch:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments/13

I still have a couple small issues to sort out though:
* wifi seems to randomly drop, perhaps after a power management event
* sound/video is very choppy compared to raspbian (e.g. youtube)

But overall, it is a really solid usable release with a pretty great UX. I'd like to work out the kinks, because although raspbian performs better, I need a 64 bi tkernel and userland.

Anybody have any insight into how to get sound and video performing better? (more like raspbian's?) So far I have added this to ]/boot/firmware/usercfg.txt to get an audio device to show up (not showing as bcm2835, but rather "Built-in audio") :

Code: Select all

dtparam=audio=on
TIA

Lipown

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 am

Guys, is 32 GB SDCARD enough big to test current ubunto on Raspbpery PI 4 please?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 am

Lipown wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 am
Guys, is 32 GB SDCARD enough big to test current ubunto on Raspbpery PI 4 please?

Yes, 32GB would be adequate for Ubuntu with Desktop Environment.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Gavinmc42

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 am

I found it a bit disappointing, I tried it and it booted and did nothing.
Now it turns out it was a USB bug?
Did not someone at Canonical check?

I like my Pi OS's to just work out of the box, those that do I use.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Pulsar33

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:59 pm

First solution :
leggazoid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 pm
The problem is the USB ports don't work.
You can SSH into the Pi 4 with:
User: ubuntu
Pass: ubuntu
It will then ask for new password.
This only works if you have ethernet cable connected.
Here is a workaround until the kernel gets patched:
Setting total_mem=3072 in /boot/firmware/usercfg.txt
If you mount the sd card in another computer the usercfg.txt is on the small vfat partition.
Another solution :
SuburbanDad wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 am
USB is working for me on arm64 after applying this patch:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments/13
I still have a couple small issues to sort out though:
* wifi seems to randomly drop, perhaps after a power management event
* sound/video is very choppy compared to raspbian (e.g. youtube)
But overall, it is a really solid usable release with a pretty great UX. I'd like to work out the kinks, because although raspbian performs better, I need a 64 bi tkernel and userland.
Anybody have any insight into how to get sound and video performing better? (more like raspbian's?) So far I have added this to ]/boot/firmware/usercfg.txt to get an audio device to show up (not showing as bcm2835, but rather "Built-in audio") :

Code: Select all

dtparam=audio=on
TIA
BR
Pulsar33
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.2

Lipown

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:34 pm

32 bit installation

Yesterday I tried flash image on 8GB SD card and give it a go, it stuck on something but do not remember what. Found on some forums that it is because a disc space. So I tried on bigger card Today.

Today - 32GB SD card stucked on [OK] "Reached target cloud-init target". Tried several times reflashing image. Anybody have a clue?

On the 8GB card it went further than on 23GB card.

Pulsar33

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Yes, the clue is in the previous message, just above yours.
You've just to read and apply
Pulsar33
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.2

Lipown

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:29 pm

Pulsar33 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm
Yes, the clue is in the previous message, just above yours.
You've just to read and apply
Pulsar33
Arent those solutions for 64 bit only? I did not find except one post that 32 bit is not working.

Pulsar33

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Pulsar33 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am
Displays "login" but continues to install and stucks after "cloud init" :shock:
Seems to be the same problem, but sorry, I'm not sure
Pulsar33

MikeDB

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Can anybody who has got the 64bit Ubuntu working tell me how the mouse movement is ? I actually use a trackball for the application I'm aiming for and unless the mouse is perfect, the trackball is unusable. I tried Gentoo and it definitely wasn't suitable.

Pulsar33

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Pulsar33 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:13 pm
No luck as, if the M$ radio keyboard works fine, the associated mouse lags :cry:
I tried to add usbhid.mousepoll=0 at the end of the btcmd.txt line but had no improvement.
Pulsar33

sakaki

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:53 pm

MikeDB wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:27 pm
Can anybody who has got the 64bit Ubuntu working tell me how the mouse movement is ? I actually use a trackball for the application I'm aiming for and unless the mouse is perfect, the trackball is unusable. I tried Gentoo and it definitely wasn't suitable.
OT for this thread - apologies - but if you'd like to open a new post about this on the Gentoo subforum, or open a new gentoo-on-rpi-64bit issue on GitHub describing the problem you were having with Gentoo in more detail, hopefully we could resolve the trackball issues you were seeing there.

It's a fairly vanilla X11/Xfce4 setup in userspace, so getting the trackball response you require should hopefully be relatively straightforward.

best, sakaki

rwcooper

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi, I have my 4GB RPi4 running ubuntu 19.10 with the patched kernel. USB is working fine. I'd like to migrate the rootfs to a USB connected SSD. I've used rsync to get the files onto the SSD but I have no idea how to get rootfs mounted on /. I've done this using Raspbian on my RPi4, but I can't seem to find any information on doing this using ubuntu 19.10. Thanks for any suggestions....Randy

PiGraham

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:33 am

jamesh wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:22 pm
Lipown wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Thanks for saving. I just wanted to start instaling as i want to ged rid of videos tearing in raspbian. I will wait then.
I doubt it will fix that.

As for bashing, not at all. What is the point of reporting a problem with software to people who have nothing to do with that software? It needs to be reported to Canonical. We cannot help you, Canonical can. Yes, its runs on a Pi, but so does a lot of other software that is nothing to do with us. No problem with giving people a heads up, just don't expect answers as there unlikely to be anyone here (official) who can answer them.
Another perspective is that one forum user shares experiences with other forum users. Maybe someone else has an answer. This isn't just for official tech support queries, is it?

The suggestions to contact Canonical are right, but I think there was a hint (perhaps unintended) of "don't bother us with this" in those replies.

Lipown

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:00 am

rwcooper wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 pm
Hi, I have my 4GB RPi4 running ubuntu 19.10 with the patched kernel. USB is working fine. I'd like to migrate the rootfs to a USB connected SSD. I've used rsync to get the files onto the SSD but I have no idea how to get rootfs mounted on /. I've done this using Raspbian on my RPi4, but I can't seem to find any information on doing this using ubuntu 19.10. Thanks for any suggestions....Randy
How did you install the patch? Should you instlal the ubuntu first and then apply patch or is there a way to somehow include the patch to the installer please?

rwcooper

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 pm

To download the patched kernel search for: raspberry pi 4 ubuntu 19.10 usb bug 1848703
Read through the posts until you come to the link for the image containing the patched kernel. As it is a complete image it installs in the normal fashion.

rwcooper

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi, I was able to get my 4GB RPi4 to use the rootfs on my SSD. I needed to edit the file /boot/firmware/nobtcmd.txt and change root= to specify the partition on my SSD that contains the rootfs....Randy

waveform80

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

First of all, introductions: I'm Dave Jones. Some of you will know me from things like picamera, piwheels, pisense, gpio-zero and so forth (he says, sounding like Troy McClure). Nowadays, I'm also on the Canonical Foundations team, with responsibility for Ubuntu on the Pi which means:
  • You can blame me for a lot of the things mentioned on this thread!
  • This is probably the wrong place to discuss a lot of this; there's absolutely no point complaining to the fine folks at the Pi Foundation about Ubuntu. Bug me instead (see below for more information on how to bug Dave)!
  • As already mentioned by others, https://ubuntuforums.org/ and https://askubuntu.com/ are good places to ask about things like this. In particular, I trawl the "raspberrypi" tag on the latter in spare moments (which are few and far between in the run-up to a release, but will be a bit more plentiful now).
There's three issues I'm currently aware of with the current Eoan Ermine release, which were discovered very late in the testing cycle (which others have diligently pointed out, but I may as well summarise with some links here):
  • USB not working under arm64 on Pi4 -- this applies specifically to the arm64 variant; the armhf variant is fine. A test kernel with a fix has been built; testers much appreciated! A workaround for now (mentioned ealier) is to stick "total_mem=3072" in "usercfg.txt" on the boot partition (this will lop 1Gb off your RAM, but things will work).
  • 3A+ boot failure on Eoan -- this one is more complex and has partly to do with Ubuntu's reliance on u-boot. That in itself is a complex topic which, for the sake of brevity, I won't delve into here. We do have a work-around but it's not ideal (no framebuffer console); the kernel team are looking into a more complete fix (the issue ultimately seems to be in the bcm2708_fb driver).
  • login available before cloud-init completed -- a long-standing issue, and one which I do have a pi-specific fix for, but which unfortunately got lost in the rush to get Pi4 support into Eoan. I'll make sure it's implemented for Focal (20.04).
And one thing which isn't a bug:
  • Bluetooth: we don't support bluetooth out of the box. Ubuntu on Pi is primarily a server distro and thus a stable serial console was prioritized over out-of-the-box Bluetooth support (note: I don't work on Ubuntu MATE; that's something separate).

Bluetooth can be enabled by installing the "pi-bluetooth" package and switching a line in "syscfg.txt" on the boot partition from "include nobtcfg.txt" to "include "btcfg.txt". A tool to manage the hardware configuration on the Pi (including Bluetooth) is being developed, but I didn't have time to finish it for Eoan.
I've noted one other issue which I wasn't aware of in this thread:
leggazoid wrote: I also noticed the wifi in Ubuntu 19.10 does not support 5Ghz band. [...]
If I can reproduce locally, I'll file a bug for that (if someone hasn't already) and update this post with the link.

If you want to know the state of fixes for these things, subscribe to those bugs. If you've got additional information, please feel free to add it to those bugs but do read them (and their comments) first; duplicated information doesn't really add anything (just takes time to read). Which is all to say: launchpad is generally the right place to notify us about issues with Ubuntu on Pi.

For more immediate purposes, I'm usually on Freenode as "waveform" on the #raspberrypi, and #ubuntu-server channels. Free free to ping me questions about Ubuntu on Pi on any of those channels, but bear in mind that I'm in the UK's timezone, and that I'm one guy: if I don't respond quickly ... well, I'm probably swamped (or dealing with a 4 y/o child!), sorry!

In the meantime, thanks for your patience!

Dave.

Pulsar33

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Hello waveform80

Thanks for all these explanations which confirm all we've seen before and give a clue for the Bluetooth problem. It's because the USB Keyboard and Mouse were not available that we, at first, tried to use Bluetooth ones. Now, all is (will be) fine !

Best regards
Pulsar33

Lipown

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Guys I need noob help. Finally installed Ubuntu and I am stuck in the console which asking me for username and password. I do not know what to enter there.I did a ubuntu account on the web but the details are not working. Please help :)

To not look like total noob login: ubuntu and password: ubuntu not working.
IMG_20191024_220403.jpg
IMG_20191024_220403.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

waveform80

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Lipown wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:59 pm
Guys I need noob help. Finally installed Ubuntu and I am stuck in the console which asking me for username and password. [...]
Very likely you're encountering the "login available before cloud-init completed" issue I mentioned above. On the very first boot, cloud-init takes a long time to create the default user (and all the other tasks it performs like resizing the root partition, rendering the initial netplan configuration, etc).

However, due to a missing requirement between cloud-init and getty, the login prompt appears on the console before cloud-init is complete. If you wait a while you should (eventually, usually after a couple of minutes) see cloud-init display a load of output indicating it's completed. Then you should be able to login successfully (subsequent boots have no wait, as cloud-init is only intended to perform most tasks on first boot).

Aside: to expand on the former post, the reason this is a long-standing bug is that in "real" cloud instances (Azure, AWS, Digital Ocean, etc.) this generally doesn't matter as you're not looking at the Linux console (where getty is running), but an SSH console which you can't access until the user is created anyway.

Dave.

Lipown

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Thank you! I started to write over the running script because the login console row already dissapeared and after couple of tries it worked in case of instalation from sd card

In case of instalation from USB3 it did not worked. Probably some issue writing on the drive maybe.

Lipown

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:24 am

Another noob question. Does 32bit apps working normal in 64bit ubuntu just like in MS windows?

rwcooper

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:19 pm

rwcooper wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 pm
To download the patched kernel search for: raspberry pi 4 ubuntu 19.10 usb bug 1848703
Read through the posts until you come to the link for the image containing the patched kernel. As it is a complete image it installs in the normal fashion.
I made a mistake in this post. You actually download patches. To be able to use the USB ports before applying the patches set total_mem=3072 (or less) in /boot/firmware/usercfg.txt before installing ubuntu 19.10.

The new kernel can be downloaded from:
https://people.canonical.com/~hwang4/rpiv2/

To install and test the kernel:
copy arm64 or armhf folders to rootfs of Pi,
sudo dpkg -i linux-modules-xxxx.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-xxx.deb
sudo reboot

Replace xxx in the above commands as appropriate for the patches.

I'm sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

Lipown

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Is there a possibility to run the Ubuntu from SSD connected trought USB port? When I put both images on SD and SSD and update cmdline to boot from SSD it get stucked when booting USB devices.

Return to “Ubuntu”