dbrouwer

Ubuntu Core Snappy on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Has anyone successfully created an image of Ubuntu Core Snappy for RPi3? Any SD cards that I've loaded with the Snappy for RPi images, that I've been able to find, don't work with the RPi3, only on my RPi2. I found this reference: "You need to replace the contents of /boot and /lib/modules to get your old SDCard to boot on a new RPi3". But I didn't see any guidance about what to replace those with, or how to maintain it being a Ubuntu Core Snappy install.

DougieLawson

Re: Ubuntu Core Snappy on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 pm

If you install Snappy you're going to be in a very lonely group with one member. Nobody uses it, it really is a project that failed to launch.

Go with Raspbian or Ubuntu MATE your experience will be much better that way.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

stderr

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:41 pm

dbrouwer wrote: "You need to replace the contents of /boot and /lib/modules to get your old SDCard to boot on a new RPi3". But I didn't see any guidance about what to replace those with, or how to maintain it being a Ubuntu Core Snappy install.
Are the files in those directories newer in the normal release of Ubuntu that does run on the pi3? When I look over there, it seems like the latest version is 15.04 so perhaps they are focused on this 16.04 LTS release which doesn't use snappy stuff. Maybe after that, they'll be into this again.

dbrouwer

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:09 am

Thanks Dougie--You are the person I quoted in my post. I appreciate your feedback.

We're not looking for a desktop Ubuntu, we're interested in an embedded system. Interest in Snappy on BeagleBone seems quite active, from what I can find. I'm curious why you have concluded that Snappy is failed. You must know something that I don't. Any insights would be welcome.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 am

dbrouwer wrote: I'm curious why you have concluded that Snappy is failed. You must know something that I don't. Any insights would be welcome.
Because we simply don't get any posts on here about it. Therefore my conclusion is that it either works perfectly, nobody is using it or everyone using it uses a different forum.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Taxicletter

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:55 am

DougieLawson wrote:Go with Raspbian or Ubuntu MATE your experience will be much better that way.
It does work "out of the box", but can you really use it for daily use (surfing, mailing, ...). On my Pi3, I don't feel like that's possible. Raspbian is doable, Ubuntu is out of the question, although it looks nice enough :-).
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

Koeshi

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Taxicletter wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Go with Raspbian or Ubuntu MATE your experience will be much better that way.
It does work "out of the box", but can you really use it for daily use (surfing, mailing, ...). On my Pi3, I don't feel like that's possible. Raspbian is doable, Ubuntu is out of the question, although it looks nice enough :-).
I haven't even got it to work out of the box yet, let alone try using it as a daily device. I think at this point (having managed to get Arch through PINN last night) that makes it the only OS I have tried and been unable to get installed for my Pi.

Taxicletter

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Koeshi wrote:I think at this point (having managed to get Arch through PINN last night) that makes it the only OS I have tried and been unable to get installed for my Pi.
I don't know what "getting Arch through PINN" means, but I copied NOOBS to a formatted SD card and Raspbian worked. The non-NOOBS images don't work for me somehow, but it seems to be an individual problem. Also Ubuntu MATE was just copying the images to SD and ready... (Only RiscOs is an ongoing work, I have a SD-card with it, but there has to be some finetuning be done before it works beyond starting up and hanging there).

Good luck with Arching the Pines :-)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

Koeshi

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Taxicletter wrote:
Koeshi wrote:I think at this point (having managed to get Arch through PINN last night) that makes it the only OS I have tried and been unable to get installed for my Pi.
I don't know what "getting Arch through PINN" means, but I copied NOOBS to a formatted SD card and Raspbian worked. The non-NOOBS images don't work for me somehow, but it seems to be an individual problem. Also Ubuntu MATE was just copying the images to SD and ready... (Only RiscOs is een ongoing work, I have a SD-card with it, but there has to be some finetuning be done before it works beyond starting up and hanging there).

Good luck with Arching the Pines :-)
Sorry I wasn't very clear, Ubuntu Snappy is the only one I haven't got to work that I have tried, MATE and Raspbian I have had no issues with.

Domi321

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:32 pm

I have to write a paper on Ubuntu Snappy for my University. Now I have to decide which Raspberry PI want to buy 2 or 3? Is ist possible to get Snappy working on 3?

stderr

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:35 am

Domi321 wrote:I have to write a paper on Ubuntu Snappy for my University. Now I have to decide which Raspberry PI want to buy 2 or 3? Is ist possible to get Snappy working on 3?
I don't think they've been updating it because last I looked it said something like 15.04. If it is before the pi3 came out, it won't likely have all the files needed. They have a discussion list where you might get more useful information.

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:53 pm

Domi321 wrote:I have to write a paper on Ubuntu Snappy for my University.
Go and tell your professor it's not possible to run Snappy on your available hardware. You will need a RPi2 or you're going to have to waste a lot of time doing a lot of hacking.

egeeirl

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:56 am

Hey OP -

I'm a little late for this thread but the other posters have no idea what they are talking about. Ubuntu Core (aka Snappy) runs great on the Raspberry Pi. I did a video about it to help debunk the weird myth that Ubuntu Core somehow doesn't run on the Raspberry Pi 3.

Here's the video - https://youtu.be/VbDAvTEBxew

Koeshi

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:31 pm

egeeirl wrote:Hey OP -

I'm a little late for this thread but the other posters have no idea what they are talking about. Ubuntu Core (aka Snappy) runs great on the Raspberry Pi. I did a video about it to help debunk the weird myth that Ubuntu Core somehow doesn't run on the Raspberry Pi 3.

That is quite a nice video you have there. However I don't see how a video posted in October proves that we had no idea what we were talking about in April.

DougieLawson

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Koeshi wrote:
egeeirl wrote:Hey OP -

That is quite a nice video you have there. However I don't see how a video posted in October proves that we had no idea what we were talking about in April.
Clearly the Ubuntu folks still think this dark corner where nobody lurks has some value and they've ported Snappy to the RPi 3 since April. It ain't exactly the most popular OS for the Raspberry.

john3voltas

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Well...they are still maintaining it.
Current 18.04LTS images available for Pi2 and 3.
https://ubuntu.com/download/iot/raspberry-pi-2-3-core
Just saying.
Cheers

Return to “Ubuntu”