EddieM

No desktop icons or taskbar with realvnc

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm

I have installed the latest unbuntu desktop (20.something) on my rpi 4 vía the raspberry sd card writer. I enabled ssh and installed realvnc server. I installed the xfce desktop and lightdm.
I am able to login via VNC from my windows VNC viewer but all I get is the empty Ubuntu desk top with the realvnc window telling me I successfully connected. However, there are no icons or taskbar and the keyboard and mouse don’t respond. I.e., ctrl-alt-t doesn’t start a command window, and the mouse moves but doesn’t respond to right or left click.
I only have remote access right now via ssh and defective realvnc; no monitor or keyboard.
I know I’m missing some simple step to get the full desktop. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Eddie
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." (Jimmy Stewart in Harvey)

B.Goode

Re: No desktop icons or taskbar with realvnc

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:47 pm

EddieM wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm
I have installed the latest unbuntu desktop (20.something) on my rpi 4 vía the raspberry sd card writer. I enabled ssh and installed realvnc server. I installed the xfce desktop and lightdm.
I am able to login via VNC from my windows VNC viewer but all I get is the empty Ubuntu desk top with the realvnc window telling me I successfully connected. However, there are no icons or taskbar and the keyboard and mouse don’t respond. I.e., ctrl-alt-t doesn’t start a command window, and the mouse moves but doesn’t respond to right or left click.
I only have remote access right now via ssh and defective realvnc; no monitor or keyboard.
I know I’m missing some simple step to get the full desktop. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Eddie

"I know I’m missing some simple step to get the full desktop. Any suggestions?"

RealVNC Server seems to be fully functional for me using the recommended and supported Raspberry Pi Buster [32] Operating System on the RPi.

Perhaps this is something to take up with RealVNC and/or Canonical?

EddieM

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:15 pm

Could be. I am not sure whether it’s a realvnc, Ubuntu desktop setup or 32/64 bit os/app issue. I don’t have a monitor available right now to see if I have a functional desktop directly. I was suspecting it is the way I’ve set up ubuntu xfce desktop, I.e.not enabling it correctly.
Eddie
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." (Jimmy Stewart in Harvey)

EddieM

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:19 pm

I was able to get access to my monitor, keyboard and mouse briefly. (It is being used for ‘real’ work so I only get it occasionally.) When I first connected it was at a login screen with many characters in the password field. I was able to log in and the desktop functioned correctly. I left it logged in and reconnected with realvnc. It was very sluggish and worked long enough to bring up a file app. It soon stopped completely. I rebooted and it is back like it was before.
I suspect now that the realvnc server is connecting and finding a prompt it is not handling. There is something about virtual vs real desktop sessions I’m missing, I think.
Any suggestions about what to look at?
Eddie

EddieM

[Resolved]Re: No desktop icons or taskbar with realvnc

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:51 pm

finally...
in /etc/gdm3/custom.config i uncommented the line Wayland=false and rebooted
I got the login screen for ubuntu and selected the xfce session like I wanted. logged in with my username and password and everything works.

just as a way of documenting everything here is what I did.
btw... it is Ubuntu 21.something
Eddie

#After creating an ubuntu boot sd I booted with a monitor/keyboard attached
sudo apt upgrade -y
sudo apt update
sudo apt install openssh-server
sudo systemctl status ssh
sudo ufw allow ssh
ip a
#the rest can optionally be done with ssh
sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server
sudo apt search desktop
sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server
sudo dpkg -i realvnc-vnc-server_6.7.2.43081_arm64.deb
cd /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu
sudo ln libvcos.so /usr/lib/libvcos.so.0
sudo ln libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.so.0
sudo ln libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/libbcm_host.so.0
sudo ln libmmal.so /usr/lib/libmmal.so.0
sudo ln libmmal_core.so /usr/lib/libmmal_core.so.0
sudo ln libmmal_components.so /usr/lib/libmmal_components.so.0
sudo ln libmmal_util.so /usr/lib/libmmal_util.so.0
sudo ln libmmal_vc_client.so /usr/lib/libmmal_vc_client.so.0
sudo ln libvcsm.so /usr/lib/libvcsm.so.0
sudo ln libcontainers.so /usr/lib/libcontainers.so.0
sudo systemctl enable vncserver-virtuald.service
sudo systemctl enable vncserver-x11-serviced.service
sudo systemctl start vncserver-virtuald.service
sudo systemctl start vncserver-x11-serviced.service
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install lightdm
sudo reboot
sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-terminal
sudo reboot
cd /etc/gdm3
sudo apt install vim
sudo vim custom.conf
sudo reboot

Return to “Ubuntu”