Gadgetguy

problems with video playback firefox 89

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:24 am

I am running Lubuntu 21.04 rather happily since the beta release. About an hour ago I updated my OS via Synaptic. This upgraded Firefox to version 89 and Raspberry Pi’s firmware to via uname -a to:

5.11.0-1009-raspi #10-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT

Prior to this upgrade I was able to play youtube videos within firefox browser with 1080p 30fps resolution with either h264 or vp9 codecs without dropping frames ( fullscreen after settling down). In Firefox settings I had enabled hardware acceleration and I had further went into the advanced configuration settings via about:config and forced layers acceleration and webgl. Afer the upgrade to firefox and the firmware youtube vide was corrupted by elements of the image being outined in red see attached image.. Videos in Chromium,vlc smplayer still played normally. Webgl still showed as working via the
Screenshot from 2021-06-03 19-49-08_copy.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-03 19-49-08_copy.png (220.62 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Khronos site. In firefox I disabled hardware acceleration and experimented with various setings in about:config but was unable to get videos to play normally in Firefox 89. Why do updates have to break things so often? Aargh!!. Anyone else experienced this. Help!! I otherwise like Firefox
Last edited by Gadgetguy on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gadgetguy

Re: problems with video playback firefox 89

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:46 am

I just downgraded the updated firefox 89 to version 87 and this corrected the video problem. Firefox 87 warned me to start with a new profile or risk corrupting my bookmarks, history etc. I hope when and if I upgrade back to 89 that I don't lose my previous profile!!

Gadgetguy

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:21 am

I reinstalled firefox 89 deleted all config files and restarted just to check if I had made some change in the settings that might have caused problems. No luck the pixelation was still present. As noted in the previous post version 87 still works fine with the new firmware. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wonder if this would be a problem with the arm64 version of Raspberry os? I should point out i am running fake kms. I may give the kms driver a try and see if that makes a difference.

Gadgetguy

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:24 am

Jut tried version 89 with tru kms driver still pixelated

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 am

Gadgetguy wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:21 am
I reinstalled firefox 89 deleted all config files and restarted just to check if I had made some change in the settings that might have caused problems. No luck the pixelation was still present. As noted in the previous post version 87 still works fine with the new firmware. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wonder if this would be a problem with the arm64 version of Raspberry os? I should point out i am running fake kms. I may give the kms driver a try and see if that makes a difference.

The biggest issue, as pointed out ad-infinutum is firefox-esr is not optimised for Raspberry Pi SBC & CM hardware.

The Firefox Developers should actually release an ARMHF / ARM64 port themselves which developers of various operating systems could use as a base, rather than just stating not their issue and leave it to 3rd parties to port.

10 years Mozilla :?
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

Gadgetguy

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:22 am

I understand your point but I should point out for clarity that I am talking abot firefox not the esr version
And I am running Lubuntu but I think your observation has merit. the problem occured when both firefox and raspberry firmware were updated at same time. Possibly a reverssion of the firmware might solve the problem but I am not ready to take that step yet since it seems to be running fine in all other apps

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am

Gadgetguy wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:22 am
I understand your point but I should point out for clarity that I am talking abot firefox not the esr version
And I am running Lubuntu but I think your observation has merit. the problem occured when both firefox and raspberry firmware were updated at same time. Possibly a reverssion of the firmware might solve the problem but I am not ready to take that step yet since it seems to be running fine in all other apps

There is also no Mozilla Port of Firefox Browser for ARMHF / ARMHF, it is left to 3rd party developers to port, again something the Mozilla Developers *could* rectify.

I am "browned" off with people complaining here about firefox / firefox-esr, considering chromium and chromium forks are so abundant they are the only sane options at this present time.

Considering the small % usage of Firefox browsers one can understand RPT not bothering too much, apart from ensuring it installs ;)

manu2007

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Considering the small % usage of Firefox browsers one can understand RPT not bothering too much, apart from ensuring it installs ;)
Then nobody should bother using Linux considering the very small % of users.

Also Chromium fanboyism won't be very helpful to Firefox users.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:42 am

manu2007 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Then nobody should bother using Linux considering the very small % of users.

Also Chromium fanboyism won't be very helpful to Firefox users.

Everyone should run Unix or Linux Operating Systems.

I am not a fanboy, just realistic about the situation which Mozilla is not willing to address.

I actually in the noughties never ran anything else but firefox and firefox based browser, but they got left behind in future developments

habilain

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Well, to get back to the original problem and not go off the deep end about what Mozilla should and should not be doing, the actual issue is due to Firefox 89 enabling Webrender by default (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... tes_today/), and the Pi's GFX drivers not being quite up to standard. Non-standard compliant GFX drivers are unfortunately all to common, and the Pi turns out to be no exception. there being some issues on lesser tested platforms, like armhf.

The solution is to go to about:config and set gfx.webrender.force-disabled to true. Disabling hardware acceleration in options will also work, but is not recommended as some other hardware acceleration things do work on the Pi. Firefox 89.0.1 has been released now and this fixes the issue properly, so upgrade to that / re-enable webrender if you disabled it on 89.0.0.
Last edited by habilain on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gadgetguy

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:05 am

Thank you very much habilain!! Your about:config modification resolved the problem nicely. In the general settings hardware acceleration remains turned on. Going to the Khronos website confirms webgl still works:
https://get.webgl.org/ I can still play 1080p 30fps vids with little to no dropped frames in browser.

It is funny I went into firefox troubleshooting mode and that also resolved the problem temporarily but disabling extensions or deleting prefsjs didn't

Thanks again. It is an interesting philosophical conundrum how much time we spend fixing introduced problems with computers vs actually using and enjoying them. Although I guess some of us ( I may or may not fall into this category ) actually take a perverse enjoyment in resolving these issues. I suppose it depends on how severe the problem is or how insurmountable an obstacle it presents. Not to wax too philosophical but I suppose the same observation applies to any of the tools which we humans use. I do know that this little problem ( which is pretty small in the grand scheme of things ) disrupted my normal routines. But I suppose i learned something in the process. Akin to lifes adversities help prepare us to face more adversities or alternatively just wear us down!

Gavinmc42

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:54 am

It also shows how dependant we have become on Browsers.

Chromium 88 locked up my Pi400 and Pi4 this week after updates.
Now have Chromium 90, Firefox 78esr, Arora, Xombrero. and Dillo.

Trying to learn Webkit Embedded so i can make my own :lol:
On Gentoo64 Firefox was working before Chromium, had no issues with it 2 years ago.

Not sure what they are tinkering with, inserting more spyware is my guess.
So far 90 has allowed me to type this far without locking up.

I get OpenSSL errors trying to use Arora on the Raspberry webpage.
Hmm Certificate issues.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

habilain

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:59 pm

Just FYI: I've posted this as a bug to the Ubuntu folks: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1930982, as I think that's the appropriate place for it to go, given Mozilla don't officially support the Pi. If someone else wants to post saying that they've also been affected by the bug, that would be useful (as it will flag it in the system as a 'confirmed' bug that affects multiple people). We've got some other reports, so that's done now. Only use the link if you want to follow progress.

I've also updated my original advice as while turning off hardware acceleration fixes the issue, it also turns off a bunch of other things that do work.

Learning to make your own browser can be fun, but it's fraught with issues unfortunately.

habilain

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pm

An update on this for people who took my advice here: it turns out that this wasn't actually caused by a video driver issue, but was a genuine bug lurking in Firefox somewhere; it also affected people on other non-Android ARM platforms, like the Pinebook laptops, and was due to pixel values underflowing in certain situations. In any case, a fix has been implemented and released on Ubuntu, so if you install Firefox 89.0.1 or later (which seems to have made its way out of the Ubuntu build processes and into the apt repositories), you should be able to re-enable Webrender and have videos work.

In general, Webrender is a pretty good thing for low power systems like the Pi, as it's more efficient and shunts more work away from the CPU and onto the GPU, so I'd definitely recommend doing this.

Yeahthisisausername

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:32 am

Can confirm that 89.0.1 fixes the issue. The update is live in the repo.

Return to “Ubuntu”