blade777

rpi-4 and usb c port

Tue May 18, 2021 4:35 am

if i power the rpi-4 via the gpio pins can i use the usb type c port for data..????

like plug in and play with usb devices..etc..etc..??

cleverca22

Re: rpi-4 and usb c port

Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 am

yep, the dwc2 tutorials from the pi0 will work the exact same way on the pi4 and pi400

the OTG_ID pin isnt wired up, so you need to force it into host or device mode

there is also an xhci controller (host only, but better cpu usage), you can activate it with otg_mode=1 in config.txt

both dwc2 and the xhci controller share the usb-c port, and the firmware enables one based on your config.txt entries

blade777

Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am

Thx...

do you have a link to any particular documentation on this topic..
is there a page on this site..? ..
THx

if i`m understanding your notes it is just a matter of software to enable the hardware../..

you wrote
the OTG_ID pin isn't wired up, so you need to force it into host or device mode

Code: Select all

the  code put in to the config.txt  does the above 
am i correct...
thx..

i have an argon add on board that a type-c input power with it connected via the 40 pin header
i now have 2 type c... one on the adapter board i run power into currently.
.i did not mention earlier because i was not shure it it was possible..to use the type-c independently..

hmm ok so i can power the board via the gpios ..thus having now 2 typ-c ports available ..? ..??

can the software be made to accommodate ..

lsusb
or

lsusb -t 
should show the results ...............

i`m off to see how things go ..

thx

blade777

Tue May 18, 2021 10:36 am

if i had an opp sys on a type-c usb stick would it boot via the port after i added the code...???

Thx...

i have edit the eeprom to boot via usb first..already..
i prolly should add the usb stick id code to the cmdline.txt....prolly would help i guess..i`ll find my code reference later...memory is not well any more..

drgeoff

Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm

blade777 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am

hmm ok so i can power the board via the gpios ..thus having now 2 typ-c ports available ..? ..??
I highly doubt that you will have two independent USB-C ports. The RPIB itself has only one. I suspect any USB-C socket on the Argon is power input only.

Also be aware that the 4B's USB-C port is only USB2 and does NOT support any of the alternate modes that the USB-C specification permits. Note "permits", not "mandates". You should think of it as a USB2 port electrically, but using a physical USB-C socket.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

blade777

Tue May 18, 2021 5:33 pm

after some reading i found out a fair bit more even guys truing it back to usb speeds etc.. i did read that it only became a usb 2 clone one might say..

bit of a let down in the long run and yes i suspect that the argon one on the add on board is only power .. i had expected that although also i found that there is an add om cm4 module or something i`m not up with all the rip-gadgetry,, but found other articles .. with similiur notes etc.. on the web.. thanks for your input on this matter...guys..sozz

Return to “Ubuntu”