kazin08

Update to Ubuntu 21.04 and VNC server doesn't work

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi to all!

I was using Ubuntu 20.10 updated form 20.04. Yesterday I installed the new version 21.04. Everything works well except that I can't access the VNC server in headless mode (I always used my Pi like this). And there's no error or connection error, VNC viewer keeps connecting for ever and nothe happend.

There's a new version for fkms? because when I change it to kms I can access but I can see anything because I don't have any screen attached to my Pi.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Best regards!

peterwilliam

Re: Update to Ubuntu 21.04 and VNC server doesn't work

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Partial Success. Follow the instructions on this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... op.html.en, including installing vino. However, you must also switch from wayland to x11 desktop :( See https://itsfoss.com/switch-xorg-wayland/.

Now, using VNC Viewer on another Raspberry Pi4, I was able to see and control the screen.

However, on the Mac and the PC, both gave a black screen. Watching the ubuntu desktop I could see that the mouse pointer was moving, and I could open a window. Doesn't help on the remote machine.

I do understand that wayland does not support screen sharing at this time. Perhaps we have to wait.

Peter

kazin08

Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 pm

peterwilliam wrote:
Partial Success. Follow the instructions on this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... op.html.en, including installing vino. However, you must also switch from wayland to x11 desktop :( See https://itsfoss.com/switch-xorg-wayland/.

Now, using VNC Viewer on another Raspberry Pi4, I was able to see and control the screen.

However, on the Mac and the PC, both gave a black screen. Watching the ubuntu desktop I could see that the mouse pointer was moving, and I could open a window. Doesn't help on the remote machine.

I do understand that wayland does not support screen sharing at this time. Perhaps we have to wait.

Peter
Well after some research I finally can use VNC server bit without hardware render on screen.

I do the things that I said here viewtopic.php?f=131&t=288769

Then installed xserver-xorg-video-dummy

Then go to the folder /etc/X11 and copied the file vncserver-virtual-dummy.conf and change the name to xorg.conf.

Before reboot, take a look in the file /boot/firmware/config.txt and set dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d, because with vc4-fkms-v3d doesn't work.

The full code is here:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-dummy
cd  /etc/X11
sudo cp vncserver-virtual-dummy.conf xorg.conf

sudo nano /boot/firmware/config.txt

DrakeGD

Sun May 23, 2021 5:28 pm

kazin08 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 pm
peterwilliam wrote:

Peter
Well after some research I finally can use VNC server bit without hardware render on screen.

I do the things that I said here viewtopic.php?f=131&t=288769

Then installed xserver-xorg-video-dummy

Then go to the folder /etc/X11 and copied the file vncserver-virtual-dummy.conf and change the name to xorg.conf.

Before reboot, take a look in the file /boot/firmware/config.txt and set dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d, because with vc4-fkms-v3d doesn't work.

The full code is here:

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-dummy
cd  /etc/X11
sudo cp vncserver-virtual-dummy.conf xorg.conf

sudo nano /boot/firmware/config.txt
that can't be the full code.
following this i have an issue when wanting to copy the "vncserver-virtual-dummy.conf" it doesnt exist

kazin08

Wed May 26, 2021 2:48 pm

DrakeGD wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:28 pm
that can't be the full code.
following this i have an issue when wanting to copy the "vncserver-virtual-dummy.conf" it doesnt exist
For me yes, that's the full code, because I had that file in my folder.

But here it's the code that you have to put in your xorg.conf

# This Xorg configuration file is meant to be used by vncserver-virtual
# in SystemXorg mode using the xf86-video-dummy driver.

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "DontVTSwitch" "true"
  Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
  Option "PciForceNone" "true"
  Option "AutoEnableDevices" "false"
  Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
  Option "IgnoreABI" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "void_mouse"
  Option "CorePointer" "true"
  Driver "void"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "void_keyboard"
  Option "CoreKeyboard" "true"
  Driver "void"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "dummy_videocard"
  Driver "dummy"
  VideoRam 192000
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "dummy_monitor"
  HorizSync   1.0 - 2000.0
  VertRefresh 1.0 - 200.0
  # Add 16:9 modes, others are automatically detected.
  Modeline "1280x720" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746
  Modeline "1920x1080" 172.80 1920 2040 2248 2576 1080 1081 1084 1118
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "dummy_screen"
  Device "dummy_videocard"
  Monitor "dummy_monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "dummy_layout"
  Screen       "dummy_screen"
  InputDevice  "void_mouse"