Ksigh

Re: New Ubuntu Mate arm64 RaspberryPi 4 image (minimal and server images also available)

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:43 am

Ksigh wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:13 pm
loboris wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm
mo0n_sniper wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:11 am
Ksigh wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:44 pm
And suggestions?
Hard to say without more details.
Is the monitor connected to the 1st hdmi port? Maybe it works, but the monitor is not detected. Can you login over ssh?
I‘d tried with 2 different Monitors and at both hdmi ports. It‘s still the same. Then I tried to start without any System and the boot screen appers. If I put in the usb drive at this point, there comes the screen shown in the image.53B23FA2-A3E5-40B8-A699-8F96923BCDF0.jpeg
After that there comes the rainbow.
It‘s strange. I tried to plug in and out the monitor several times and now I have got a picture.
7575394C-AC50-4BB8-A07D-7F7E54CB1CC1.jpeg
7575394C-AC50-4BB8-A07D-7F7E54CB1CC1.jpeg (22.78 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
After another tries I’ve got this screen
5B40415B-22B0-41FF-BD75-2AEC660915A8.jpeg
5B40415B-22B0-41FF-BD75-2AEC660915A8.jpeg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Any idea to solve this?

loboris

Re: New Ubuntu Mate arm64 RaspberryPi 4 image (minimal and server images also available)

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 am

Ksigh wrote:
It‘s strange. I tried to plug in and out the monitor several times and now I have got a picture.
Any idea to solve this?
It looks your monitor is not always detected correctly.
Try to play with hdmi options in config.txt.

loboris

Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:12 am

cjan wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:28 am
why armhf build just for Pi4?
All builds (images) are only for RPi4, mostly because I don't build the kernel for other boards and I only have RPi4 for testing (and couple of zeros I'm using exclusively with ultibo...).
In my opinion RaspberryPi 4 is the first RPi which is comparable (or better), price/performance-wise, with other pi-like boards, so I'm not particularly interested in Pi(1-3) ...

Ksigh

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:16 pm

loboris wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 am
Ksigh wrote:
Any idea to solve this?
It looks your monitor is not always detected correctly.
Try to play with hdmi options in config.txt.
That’s it. I compared the config.txt with RaspberryOS and now it works.

soma72

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:28 am

Thanks for the effort. It works great. I have been lurking since the first PI and finally thought the 4 could actually be a desktop replacement. Your image proved that to be true. Keep us posted on any improvements or updates.

mo0n_sniper

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:03 am

mo0n_sniper wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:11 am
Hello loboris,

I wanted to try your image but it didn't boot. The screen had the rainbow and the green led flashed 2 times.
I verified the md5 of the image and was correct. Also I flashed retropie on the same microsd card and it worked.

Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers
When connecting the TV to the HDMI0 port I get an image and the OS boots.
But the green LED is still blinking even with the OS booted and the desktop on screen.

loboris

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:23 am

mo0n_sniper wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:03 am
When connecting the TV to the HDMI0 port I get an image and the OS boots.
But the green LED is still blinking even with the OS booted and the desktop on screen.
Green LED is set to heartbeat mode and blinks when everything is ok.
Red LED is set to be off (it blinks if voltage is to low), it is turned on after poweroff.

The behavior of the leds can be changed in /boot/config.txt.

mo0n_sniper

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 am

Oh, didn't know that. When I couldn't get a image on the screen I searched google for Raspberry pi led blink and I got this page from the official documentation:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... arnings.md

That is why I concluded that the image doesn't work.

thatchunkylad198966

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:43 pm

kingo71 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:37 pm
loboris wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 am
scaramonga wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:28 am

Because quite a few are, including myself, that is just fact. My SSD, and confirmed compatible cable, work perfect with any other image, and have done so for quite a while now. Only 'your' image gives out this error?, not any other?, yet because it works for you, then there is no way there can be a problem with it. There is a problem with it, for some, not all, and reading through this thread, tells you this fact.

Now, I don't know whether its to do with whatever imager one is using?, you used Pi Imager 1.2, I used 1.4, or something is happening during the resize phase?, or the moon was not at the correct angle tonight?, who knows?, but there is a problem with your image for some, and you can sit there and deny it all you want, I'm just letting you know, as others have also done so.

Image to SD works fine, and boots fine also, without error. Cloning that working image to the SSD after, also works fine, and boots OK. So something is going wrong with either imaging the system to disk and/or during the first boot process, for some, not all.

Thanks anyway for your work, it's much appreciated, but you should learn to not take criticism too harshly.
I take criticism quite easy (and welcome it) when it is given in a way you did it. @thatchunkylad198966 several times just said "image in not stable" without asking any question, proposing any solution, or even giving the description of what he did...
I admit, I should said "I can understand some have issues, I just can't reproduce them..."

I think it is a fact that RPi4 USB3 driver (which is part of VC as I understand it) has issues with UAS (I've tested 3 different sata-usb3 controllers, not uas-blacklisted in kernel, working perfectly on PC (amd64) and OdroidXU4 (armhf) and having issues on RPi4).

All indicates something happens during the resize on 1st boot from SSD. I'll test it more thoroughly when I'll find some time...
It could also be related to the btrfs FS used in the image. As I can't reproduce the issue, I'll prepare the image formated with ext4 FS, so that others can test it.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.
After cloning the Image from sd to ssd it worked but then if try to resize the image on the SSD the result is again no bootable.
I then checked the source image and seems that the btrfs partition has some unrecoverable errors that I suspect are leading to the non bootable image once resized.

Going to try the new ext4 image and see the outcome.
Am I wrong though? no; your image is NOT stable. far from it.
I still get a kernel panic, like others in this thread...............................................
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

loboris

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:16 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
I still get a kernel panic, like others in this thread...............................................
stable (adjective) definition(Merriam-Webster):
not changing or fluctuating
So, if you constantly get kernel panic, or otherwise it is not working, it is stable (by definition).

Seriously, you are either constantly doing something wrong, or you don't want to try the simplest instalation method or you just enjoy troling (which I'm ok with). Please try to post something constructive.

thatchunkylad198966

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:51 pm

loboris wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:16 pm
thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
stable (adjective) definition(Merriam-Webster):
not changing or fluctuating
So, if you constantly get kernel panic, or otherwise it is not working, it is stable (by definition).

Seriously, you are either constantly doing something wrong, or you don't want to try the simplest instalation method or you just enjoy troling (which I'm ok with). Please try to post something constructive.
Thing is bro, I ain't a troll. I love my RPi4 but with your image, things break for more than they do work.
I flashed your image with RPi's 1.4 imager, copied over .elf and .dat files (I know you said I don't need to do this but it's the only way I could get USB-BOOT working) rebooted, it re-sized... rebooted again and I get a kernel panic.

I'm on the latest EEPROM. I've not tried the solutions posted in this thread; yet. I'm on RPi distro and USB-BOOT is working great.

I don't mean no harm, I'm here to learn; please don't judge without knowing the facts.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

freechina

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 pm

Lost a couple of hours trying to get past Kernel Panic error.
Cann't allocate any more time to images that do NOT boot.

scaramonga

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 am

Only way I finally got this image to work, was by disabling UAS, BEFORE!! first boot. Adaptor is UAS compatible, and works fine on other images with UAS enabled, but not this one. So it will work if one does that, albeit at the expense of drive speed, which you probably wont notice anyway.

Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted is no good here :) It must be done 'before' you boot the device, else it will not boot again, until you start from the beginning again. ;)

My theory is that, files are getting corrupted during the extending process on first boot, with UAS enabled, thus the system will not boot again after this process. Disabling UAS 'beforehand' allows the process to complete, without error, thus boot successfully thereafter.

Now. Could one simply re-enable UAS once system is booting fine? I don't know? I may just try that, out of curiosity :D

scaramonga

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Following on from my last post, I have re-enabled UAS after first boot and setup, and it works! :) Boots fine thereafter with UAS enabled. Just disable for first boot.

loboris

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 pm

scaramonga wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 am
Only way I finally got this image to work, was by disabling UAS, BEFORE!! first boot. Adaptor is UAS compatible, and works fine on other images with UAS enabled, but not this one. So it will work if one does that, albeit at the expense of drive speed, which you probably wont notice anyway.

Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted is no good here :) It must be done 'before' you boot the device, else it will not boot again, until you start from the beginning again. ;)

My theory is that, files are getting corrupted during the extending process on first boot, with UAS enabled, thus the system will not boot again after this process. Disabling UAS 'beforehand' allows the process to complete, without error, thus boot successfully thereafter.

Now. Could one simply re-enable UAS once system is booting fine? I don't know? I may just try that, out of curiosity :D

Following on from my last post, I have re-enabled UAS after first boot and setup, and it works! :) Boots fine thereafter with UAS enabled. Just disable for first boot.
Thanks for the detailed report.
As far as I can remember, it was suggested several times in this thread that the uas should be disabled before the 1st boot.

Enabling uas after 1st boot may work, but you may experience some data corruption later...

In my experience, uas support on RPi4 is not reliable enough to be used without risk.

arielmalka

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Loboris,

Thank you for sharing this image. I'm testing it right now...

I have the impression that the kms drivers are used for display, but I could be wrong.
Is it possible to switch to fake-kms instead and to set the GPU memory to something like 128M?

kazin08

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi all!

I have a little question. How can i test WPS office using ubuntu 20.04 on my rpi 4? when i download i only get the amd64 version and can't find the arm64 version.

Best regards!

loboris

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:41 pm

arielmalka wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 pm
I have the impression that the kms drivers are used for display, but I could be wrong.
Is it possible to switch to fake-kms instead and to set the GPU memory to something like 128M?
vc4-fkms-v3d is used, as you can see in config.txt.

loboris

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:49 pm

kazin08 wrote:
I have a little question. How can i test WPS office using ubuntu 20.04 on my rpi 4? when i download i only get the amd64 version and can't find the arm64 version.
WPS office is in my repository, you can install it using apt or synaptic:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install wps-office
If you are not using my image, you can download debian package from my repository: wps-office_11.1.0.9615_arm64.deb

It can only be installed on arm64.

kazin08

Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:38 pm

loboris wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:49 pm
kazin08 wrote:
WPS office is in my repository, you can install it using apt or synaptic:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install wps-office
If you are not using my image, you can download debian package from my repository: wps-office_11.1.0.9615_arm64.deb

It can only be installed on arm64.
Thanks for your reply! i will try it!

Best regards

NevL

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:01 am

Just installed this Ubuntu Mate version on a RPI4 4GB. Great as so far it has fixed my WIFI and SSD boot issues but cannot get a second monitor detected. Each monitor works individually but not both at the same time. Is this a known issue with Mate on RP4?

loboris

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:02 pm

NevL wrote:
Just installed this Ubuntu Mate version on a RPI4 4GB. Great as so far it has fixed my WIFI and SSD boot issues but cannot get a second monitor detected. Each monitor works individually but not both at the same time. Is this a known issue with Mate on RP4?
It's not an issue.
Just check your /boot/config.txt. If you have max_framebuffers=1, change it to max_framebuffers=2 and you can use two monitors.

It was already posted here.

Ksigh

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:42 am

loboris wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:02 pm
NevL wrote:
It's not an issue.
Just check your /boot/config.txt. If you have max_framebuffers=1, change it to max_framebuffers=2 and you can use two monitors.

It was already posted here.
Hello loboris.
On my raspberry pi 4 I get no sound output on the 3.5 jack if I have 2 monitors activated. I've tried it with different OS an only the Rasberry Pi OS has sound output on 3.5 jack with 2 monitors working.
If I change max_framebuffers=2 I get both monitors working fine. With max_framebuffers=1 I get sound working but the second monitors shows only rainbow colors.
It's so strange to me cause it make no sense.
It seems that the second hdmi port kills the 3.5 jack output. I've tried many settings in the config.txt. I've compared the config.txt with Raspberry OS, but there I can't find any solutions.
Any idea how to get working?

JonG

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:10 am

Thank you for this. I regularly use fairly large spreadsheets, and wps is a lot less "sticky" than libreoffice calc.

Return to “Ubuntu”