IoIxD

Getting the LG Slim Portable DVD Writer to work with the Raspberry Pi 4

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi! I'm currently building a Raspberry Pi 4 Project that uses only materials around the house, aside from the Raspberry Pi. I only have one DVD writer, and that is the "LG Slim Portable DVD Writer SP80NB80" (powered by USB, of course). This specific DVD writer is mentioned nowhere on LG's website, but it probably wouldn't matter, because the most similar one I could find doesn't even have installable drivers. I need drivers because this DVD writer works with every computer I own except this rPi, which gives the following error when I try to access the CD drive:

Code: Select all

mount: /media/cdrom: can't read superblock on /dev/sr0.
After Googling for around an hour, the general consensus I came to was that this was the sign of a bad DVD writer. Only...this works on my other computers. I should note that due to the circumstances of the project, I've ditched Raspbian so I can use my own, custom operating system built on Ubuntu Server (because Ubuntu Core isn't supported yet), but I assume this is a firmware problem if Ubuntu can locate the DVD drive fine. Has anyone had this problem specifically with this DVD writer? I would assume not if it's apparently so obscure that LG haven't even listed the model on their site, but I really hope so. Otherwise, does anyone have tips on how I could fix the problem? Again, I assume it's a firmware problem, but I could be wrong.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Getting the LG Slim Portable DVD Writer to work with the Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 pm

IoIxD wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:21 pm
Hi! I'm currently building a Raspberry Pi 4 Project that uses only materials around the house, aside from the Raspberry Pi. I only have one DVD writer, and that is the "LG Slim Portable DVD Writer SP80NB80" (powered by USB, of course). This specific DVD writer is mentioned nowhere on LG's website, but it probably wouldn't matter, because the most similar one I could find doesn't even have installable drivers. I need drivers because this DVD writer works with every computer I own except this rPi, which gives the following error when I try to access the CD drive:

mount: /media/cdrom: can't read superblock on /dev/sr0.
After Googling for around an hour, the general consensus I came to was that this was the sign of a bad DVD writer. Only...this works on my other computers. I should note that due to the circumstances of the project, I've ditched Raspbian so I can use my own, custom operating system built on Ubuntu Server (because Ubuntu Core isn't supported yet), but I assume this is a firmware problem if Ubuntu can locate the DVD drive fine. Has anyone had this problem specifically with this DVD writer? I would assume not if it's apparently so obscure that LG haven't even listed the model on their site, but I really hope so. Otherwise, does anyone have tips on how I could fix the problem? Again, I assume it's a firmware problem, but I could be wrong.

There should be no requirement for a specific driver in Linux, is it recognised by:

lsusb -v

https://linux.die.net/man/8/lsusb
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

rpdom

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm

It sounds like a power issue to me, or possibly a lack of a driver for the filesystem used. If it is a blank DVD I would expect that message as there is no data on it to read.

dustnbone

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:13 am

+1 on power. If it's USB powered try it through a powered hub or a Y-Cable that allows power to be provided separately.

There shouldn't be any drivers required for that, it's standard USB stuff. Also, as noted above make sure the disc in the drive isn't blank, as that will likely produce the same error message.

I can't think of any filesystems that would be on a DVD/CD that aren't directly supported by Raspbian, but that's a possibility I guess.

Return to “Ubuntu”