jvvw

Python after the two Code Club Python modules

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 am

Hi everyone,

We've got some of our older kids doing the Code Club Python modules and one of them has finished and the others are also rattling through them. I'm wondering what to do next with them. I've looked at the other Python projects on the Raspberry Pi but can't really see many suitable (I know you can do the Sense HAT ones with the emulator but it feels like doing that and not actually being to try them out in real life might be a bit frustrating for the kids). I think we may try the AstroPi Mission Zero challenge but don't know how many weeks that will keep them busy for!

Has anybody got any good suggestions for projects we can suggest to them? I know from experience that giving the kids a complete blank slate doesn't tend to work very well.

Juliette

bensimmo

Re: Python after the two Code Club Python modules

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Look in the MagPi and HackSpace.
They have various games tutorial and explanations, working through the episodes should be good.
Unfortunately I can't tell you which ones of the top of my head.

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Robots!

Simple (& cheap) 2-wheel bots, coded in Python. I use them at KS2 (age 8-11) level and find it's a really good way of doing something cool with Python. If you have the facility, I recommend using a Pi Zero on the robot and setting that up to run 'headless' using something like RealVNC. They can then be remotely accessed from another computer (either through the network, or with the Pi Zero set up as a hotspot) and can be run untethered, meaning the kids can test their code instantly.

If you want (or need) to stay on the screen, I did a few sessions last year where I used some old BASIC programs (from the free PDF downloads that Usborne Publishing have made available of their original 1980s programming books (here: https://usborne.com/browse-books/featur ... ing-books/) and got the kids to translate them into Python.

martinohanlon

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 am

Not necessarily Python but have a look at the Coder Dojo projects and resources they might offer other avenues to explore.

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/coderdojo

jvvw

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions - all good starting points (and I've got all nostalgic about those Usborne programming books which got me into programming myself as a kid!). I think ultimately I need to do more prep for the Code Club sessions - I've been a bit spoiled by the modules provided. We don't have any budget for physical computing stuff although I'm prepared to spend money on some stuff myself if I can also use it with my family. Plus unlike the python generally, that stuff is a learning curve for me, and though that's a good thing in lots of ways, I do need to make time before the sessions for it as the sessions themselves are really busy.

Forris

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Yes, it's a great idea by Usborne to release those old books as PDFs. Very high nostalgia value :-)

What kit do you have available?

Are you able to install new Python libraries?

Are you keen to stick with Python, or maybe have a go at some advanced(ish) Scratch?

Where in the world are you?

jvvw

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:02 pm

We user trinket for python and can't install anything on the machines we use (they are public access library computers the rest of the time) so we are rather limited there. We might be getting some raspberry pis but we've been waiting six months or so already, so I don't want to count on that. We've got one child who has completed the two Python Code Club modules and another couple whizzing through them - they are at the upper end of the Code Club age range so about 12/13ish and they've done Scratch when they are younger at school. Generally I feel like I'd rather do more python with them than more Scratch. I'm also spending a large part of the sessions helping the younger children, so although I can give them some time in the sessions, I'm also juggling that, so want stuff that they can largely get on with by themselves. I feel there should be some resources out there somewhere - maybe even aimed at adults - that we could use, at least until I have time to write some new projects myself!

Oh and we're in the UK - in Bedfordshire.

Kreacher

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi,
I see a similar need in a library Code Club, so I created a simple role-playing game in Python, which reads a spreadsheet for rules and maze content. I intended it to engage the parents also, as they can create their own games in Calc (or Excel).

The jury is still out as to how successful this will be, but it definitely broadens the scope of things learned, and seems quite engaging for three of the more advanced kids.

Tony

Return to “Code Club”