Mierts

Getting started with basic programming

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:13 am

I bought my ten-year-old son a Pi for Christmas. We’ve done the set-up, but I’m struggling to find where he can get started in learning basic programming. We don’t live in the UK, and it’s currently not taught at school. I looked up on the website as well as the YouTube channel but the amount of information is so overwhelming, that it’s not clear where to start. He has not done programming before, so any suggestions for videos or modules would be very helpful (he’s a native English speaker). Thank you :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Getting started with basic programming

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am

Try looking at some of the back issues of the MagPi, available online on our website. Or Carrie-Anne Philbins books.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

codeclubdave
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

The projects that we have created to use in our Code Clubs are a great place to start!

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/codeclub

Our projects include Scratch, HTML and Python, and can all be completed using a Raspberry Pi. I recommend Scratch Module 1 and Python Module 1 to get started.

Aside from the Code Club projects, you will find lots of free learning resources on the Raspberry Pi projects site: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/
Programme Coordinator
www.codeclub.org
@CodeClub | www.facebook.com/codeclubuk

Mierts

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Thank you so much for the suggestions, that was very helpful!

Best wishes :)

Return to “Code Club”