karenpeacock

Trinket logins - any advice?

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 am

Hi

I've had some kids in my codeclub for a few years and they've progressed a long way with scratch. They are pretty advanced now (which is great!) Although the later codeclub projects are still challenging for them I think that because they are still only 10 they can find them a bit too long to keep enthusiasm for them.

To be honest I think they just need a little break from scratch and to try a new challenge.

As we don't have raspberry pis at the club I thought I'd try them on HTML and trinket.io. On Monday they tried the first project and they were really excited which was fantastic! The project itself went really well but the issue was that they all used my one trinket.io login to create the projects. They had some strange problems where they were opening their own project but actually it opened someone else's etc.. They don't all have email addresses and certainly can't access these at school anyway to sign up for their own trinket.io accounts.

I am new to trinket and haven't had much time to research yet. I can see you can buy tinket teacher logins but I don't think our school will want to pay for this. Are there any other suggestions please?

Or alternatively if we don't use trinket next, any other suggestions where to go next after scratch? The catch is we don't have any budget so it needs to be without incurring any costs or needing to install anything (we need to use browser based tools).

Thanks
Karen

katharine_childs
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Trinket logins - any advice?

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Great question Karen :)

We have some advice on setting up Trinket accounts in our knowledge base here: http://help.codeclub.org.uk/en/support/ ... t-accounts

You've got two choices about the best way to go with this:

1) You could ask for parental permission for each of the children in your club to create their own Trinket account
2) You could create multiple Trinket accounts using a single Gmail address

It's also important to think about who will take responsibility for supporting that account and for any potential account misuse.

How do other clubs do this? It would be great to hear from you and to share your experiences here too!

Libxx1

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm

It'd be a pity not to use Trinket as it's fab for Python and Sense HAT projects too further down the line too.

If accounts are a real stumbling point you can use Trinket without logins before and there are a couple of ways that the students can get back to their projects.

1) They could download them and save them somewhere on the school network, then just open them to view at any time in a browser or open them from Trinket to continue editing.

2) They can let you have a note of the link (or email it to you) so that you can always get back to it, this is great for keeping a record of finished projects but if it's part finished they need to remember to give you an updated link after the next time they edit it.

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:14 pm

The secret with Trinket is that you don't actually need a valid email address to set up an account. You can use any old, made up, email address. There is no point at which you will need to verify the address.

I have a whole bank of '[email protected]', '[email protected]', etc just set up waiting to be used.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Forris wrote:
The secret with Trinket is that you don't actually need a valid email address to set up an account. You can use any old, made up, email address. There is no point at which you will need to verify the address.

I have a whole bank of '[email protected]', '[email protected]', etc just set up waiting to be used.
I wouldn't use any random string in .com or .org or .edu or .co.uk, there's a likelyhood you'll tread on someone's toes with that.

You should probably use [email protected] or [email protected] as those are dummy domains that will never be allocated to any real users. Or use a [email protected] (with your own choice of host name) the .local top-level domain (TLD) will never be allocated to a real user either.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Forris

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Forris wrote:

I wouldn't use any random string in .com or .org or .edu or .co.uk, there's a likelyhood you'll tread on someone's toes with that.

You should probably use [email protected] or [email protected] as those are dummy domains that will never be allocated to any real users. Or use a [email protected] (with your own choice of host name) the .local top-level domain (TLD) will never be allocated to a real user either.
No, we don't use random names, but something to do with the school, like a mash-up of the school name, but we do actually use 'child1', 'child2', etc instead of using more personal names.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 pm

If, for example, was doing this for my local junior school (www.kempshott-jun.hants.sch.uk) I'd use
[email protected] as that's never going to escape on to the public internet and Hampshire schools (hants.sch.uk) clearly own that domain name.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

MaddistonCoder

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm

We just started using Trinket for Python and HTML. I asked the Trinket guys the best way, they said you can add multiple users on one email for example, [email protected]. [email protected]. They even said that if you have a big list you could send them a file and they'd help.

I have 24 logins set up like this, and if any of them need a password reset it just comes to the [email protected] account. It's worked really well so far.

N

karenpeacock

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 am

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for all your advice! I'll try out one of the methods (registering using made up emails using school domain or using my own email to create various logins).

As a side issue I didn't get emailed of any replies to my question (checked my junk mail etc) and I'd like to subscribe to this forum so I get notified of new questions. Probably missing something but I can't see how to. I just manually subscribed to this topic but my expectation was that you would automatically subscribe if you started the thread or replied. That's what I'm used to from other forums.

Thanks again
Karen

katharine_childs

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Karen

You can subscribe to the Code Club forum by clicking on the 'Subscribe forum' link in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
We look forward to reading your ideas, tips, suggestions and contributions!
image.png
image.png (184.01 KiB) Viewed 932 times

jreast

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi Karen,

At the bottom of the Post a reply screen you can check the box for Notify me when a reply is posted
You can default this to enabled via Profile -> Board Preferences -> Edit posting defaults

If you subscribe to the whole forum as Katharine has suggested you get notified of everything, which you may/not prefer

Hope that helps.

Jason

Edit: ninja'd by Katharine.

karenpeacock

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks for your explanation and I've now subscribed thank you. The subscribe forum link doesn't look like a clickable link IMHO. I usually denote clickable links with a different colour and/or an underline on the sites I oversee.

Anyway problem solved and thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction,
Karen

Return to “Code Club”