katharine_childs
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Promoting your Code Club

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:57 am

It's that time of year when a lot of Code Clubs are getting started and have new intakes of children. How do you encourage children to come to your club?

Libxx1

Re: Promoting your Code Club

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Mine is all a bit Field of Dreams, a teacher and I build it and the kids just come.

I remember when it was completely new to the school I went in to an assembly to tell the kids (and the other teachers) about Code Club. I think that helped build excitement around it and they realised they could be part of a big community of clubs.

bensimmo

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm

The council/libraries do it in media e.g. online and pamphlet.
Also at the library buildings which are often multi use now so gets a wide audience.
The one near me has a waiting list.
This is in the East Riding.

My local (sons) primary school just has it as an after school activity, I don't think it really needs any advertising as people always go.
I think that had to stop it for year 6's due to to much demand.

I've not seen any older than primary school age CodeClubs crop up yet.

Not my CodeClubs but the ones I know of.

rpdom

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm

The Code Club I volunteer at is advertised on posters in the library (where the club is held) and on the library web site. We currently have a large waiting list of kids wanting to join.
bensimmo wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm
I've not seen any older than primary school age CodeClubs crop up yet.
We have been considering running one but haven't sorted it out yet. We may not have enough volunteers for it.

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm

I originally started by introducing the Digital Leaders at the school (which my son was attending at the time) to Physical Computing with the Raspberry Pi, and that has grown into 2 or 3 clubs a week. The clubs are just listed with the rest of the after-school clubs and numbers can vary from 6 to 24, depending on which club and what else is on that day.

Kids mostly join because they've heard about it from friends, and we have a fair number that have been members for a year or more.

Return to “Code Club”