katharine_childs
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

How do you set up Scratch accounts in your club?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:33 pm

One question which is often asked at Code Club meetups and in support forums is "What's the best way to set up Scratch accounts for my club?"

We have some official guidance here: http://help.codeclub.org.uk/en/support/ ... h-accounts

How do you set up Scratch accounts in your club? Do you use teacher accounts or have multiple accounts linked to one email address?

rpdom

Re: How do you set up Scratch accounts in your club?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Currently we recommend the parents set up a scratch account for their child and make sure they have the details memorised or accessible when the child attends the club. That way the child can continue at home even after leaving the Code Club.

jreast

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 am

I used a scratch teacher account. I pregenerated a list of usernames in Excel and uploaded them as a CSV file to the scratch site. I then mail-merged them into a word template and printed the result so each student could take home a slip with their details on. I also recorded who had which username on a sheet, as inevitably a couple had forgotten by the next session. I normally login to my teacher account to demo the project anyway, so it's only a couple of clicks to reset any forgotten passwords during the session, which saves a lot of hassle.

Here's my word lists I used for usernames, excel randomly chose one word from each set so you ended up with some fun combinations to choose from.
Fire, Dyna, Doctor, Wonder, Super, Astro, Space, Night, Deadly, Purple, Red, Flash, Green, Candy, Cookie, Fluffy, Rage
Storm, Blast, Wookie, Muffin, Rocket, Thunder, Falcon, Cat, Dog, Skull, Hand, Boots, Laser, Crash, Crush, Doom, Zap

Example resulting usernames:
FluffyDoom
CookieLaser
FluffyRocket
DynaCrash
RedThunder
CookieRocket
GreenHand
FlashDog
CookieBlast
DeadlyMuffin
RageFalcon
SpaceLaser
CandyCrush
WonderFalcon
DynaDog

katharine_childs

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am

That looks great!

Did you know that there is a Code Club Username Generator project that does something similar to this?

It's available at: https://codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/scra ... generator/ or in our new format at: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -generator

jreast

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Oh of course, nice!
katharine_childs wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am
That looks great!

Did you know that there is a Code Club Username Generator project that does something similar to this?

It's available at: https://codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/scra ... generator/ or in our new format at: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -generator

katharine_childs

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Great! Perhaps you could give it a go and share the project for others to adapt for their clubs too?

I'm thinking I might change my username to FluffyDoom now :)

rpdom

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm

jreast wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 am
DeadlyMuffin
My wife has a pet called PsychoMuffin, that's close :-)

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:18 pm

I have a Scratch Teacher account and I set up a new 'class' for each new term with accounts for those that don't already have them. I send the standard Codeclub letter out to parents so that the school has a record that they have given permission for an account to be set up.

I also have an Educator Account with Trinket.io which is still useful although it doesn't work the same way as the Scratch one.

I designed some ID cards for the kids, with their usernames and passwords on, although they invariably end up forgetting them! I keep a record of all the logins on an excel sheet, just in case :-)

Libxx1

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:32 pm

I do the same as @jreast with a teacher account and unidentifiable student usernames. We pull up the Username Generator at the first session to randomly pick their username but we don't actually run through that project then as they're a bit too new at that stage.

I did think it would be a good last project to do though so that the current group are populating the lists for the next cohort .... though that could be a little dangerous either if 1) they're not feeling creative so all the usernames end up being taken or 2) they're feeling super creative but not very complimentary!!

psutton

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 pm

rpdom wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:57 pm
Currently we recommend the parents set up a scratch account for their child and make sure they have the details memorised or accessible when the child attends the club. That way the child can continue at home even after leaving the Code Club.

Good idea, As a back up plan for sessions I am thinking of setting up a few accounts for the club I run simply. If the kids forget their credentials or are new I can give them an account to use for the session, they can then set up an account at home with parents help.

It should be easy enough to then transfer what they have made over to their own or new account and delete the work from the account I have given them.

Paul

rpdom

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:36 pm

psutton wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 pm
Good idea, As a back up plan for sessions I am thinking of setting up a few accounts for the club I run simply. If the kids forget their credentials or are new I can give them an account to use for the session, they can then set up an account at home with parents help.

It should be easy enough to then transfer what they have made over to their own or new account and delete the work from the account I have given them.
The backup plan we have is to use a Club USB stick to store projects until the next session. We just have to make sure they are all saved before the computers automatically shut down at the end of the club session.

Return to “Code Club”