with ice cream

Control original blanker?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Is there a way to control the original screen blanker? Is there a way to get the current state? /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power doesn't seem to be related to the original screen blanking function.

Currently, if I want to wake the screen without user interaction I simulate a mouse click with xdotool. I'd also would like to know the screen's state and to programmatically force the screen to go blank.

Is using xscreensaver the only workaround/alternative?

klricks

Re: Control original blanker?

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:00 pm

with ice cream wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:41 pm
Is there a way to control the original screen blanker? Is there a way to get the current state? /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power doesn't seem to be related to the original screen blanking function.

Currently, if I want to wake the screen without user interaction I simulate a mouse click with xdotool. I'd also would like to know the screen's state and to programmatically force the screen to go blank.

Is using xscreensaver the only workaround/alternative?
xset commands are used to control screen blanking.
To see current settings:

Code: Select all

xset q
There are 2 screen blanking functions running at the same time, both with 10 min. defaults. You have to turn both off to disable screen blanking:

xset s 0
xset -dpms
(I usually turn off the dpms and work with the xset s commands)

To force screen blank:

xset s activate
To unblank:

xset s reset
also see:

xset -?
man xset
-Note the RPi does not support all the available xset commands.
-xset commands do not work if xscreensaver is installed.
-The above works with HDMI monitors. Never tried with official display..
-All xset commands revert to defaults on reboot. To make permanent you need to add the commands to autostart.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

with ice cream

Re: Control original blanker?

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Perfect. Thank you, the 's' options work. The only remaining issue is that I cannot query the screen's state when I disable dpms. I'll experiment some more.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”