ahiebing

7" touchscreen not registering input

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi all, I recently purchased the Pi 3B+ and the 7" touchscreen to use for a senior design project. After some difficulty, I got everything displaying properly (turns out I put the white ribbon cable in backwards, d'oh), however, the screen is not registering touch inputs at all.

I ran apt-get update, upgrade, and rpi-update.
dmesg | grep -i ft5406 shows that it is being detected properly.
cat /proc/cmdline | grep bcm2708_fb shows the correct width and height.

It is being powered directly via the 2.5 A power supply to its microUSB port, with power to the Pi itself through the USB Power Out port on the display. I also tried reseating the tiny end of the DSI cable, just in case, as I read those can be touchy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ahiebing

Re: 7" touchscreen not registering input

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Bump. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to get this working soon!

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm

If it's a Raspberry Pi B+, A+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, 3A+ then pull off the green and yellow wires if you've got them wired to the GPIO I2C pins.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

ahiebing

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I've tried powering through the GPIO (using just the two wires on 5V and GND) and through USB, with the same result. I read that the DSI port can be finicky, but unfortunately I can only reseat the small end of it, as the other end is sealed behind the backplate of the touchscreen and I can't get to it (that part came pre-assembled). So hopefully that's not the issue!

mooblie

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm
...some good stuff from Dougie...
[off topic]
Coo. Welcome back Dougie. Loving the sig.! :D
[/offtopic]

DarkPlatinum

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm

ahiebing wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm
Hi all, I recently purchased the Pi 3B+ and the 7" touchscreen to use for a senior design project. After some difficulty, I got everything displaying properly (turns out I put the white ribbon cable in backwards, d'oh), however, the screen is not registering touch inputs at all.

I ran apt-get update, upgrade, and rpi-update.
dmesg | grep -i ft5406 shows that it is being detected properly.
cat /proc/cmdline | grep bcm2708_fb shows the correct width and height.

It is being powered directly via the 2.5 A power supply to its microUSB port, with power to the Pi itself through the USB Power Out port on the display. I also tried reseating the tiny end of the DSI cable, just in case, as I read those can be touchy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
If you have not found a solution, you could ask for a replacement from the place you bought it from. There might be a problem with the screen.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B+, 1 * Raspberry Pi 4B :mrgreen:

gkaiseril

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 pm

With the Raspberry PI 3 B+ you only need the 5vdc power either through the GPIO pins or or the USB connector by using 2 power supplies or a Y micro USB connector.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 pm
With the Raspberry PI 3 B+ you only need the 5vdc power either through the GPIO pins or or the USB connector by using 2 power supplies or a Y micro USB connector.
I don't use a Y-connector. I have a USB-A to microUSB plugged into the USB-A socket on the display, that microUSB is plugged into the 3B on the display. The wall-wart power supply is connected to the microUSB on the display. It's not as ideal as a Y-connector but the only option since I've put a TV HAT on the 3B (to make a portable TV).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”