Rstedman

Official RPi 7” touch screen large areas not detecting touches

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm

I have a RPi 2 with the official touch screen. I’ve had it for some time running a latest raspbian and all has been well until quite recently large areas of the screen have stopped detecting touches. Touch sensitivity is now confined to the top left hand corner and an area in the bottom right corner. I have dismantled and checked all ribbon connectors and put back together - all are sound. I have done all the updates that other posts have reccomended and I have conducted a test using evtest- which is demonstrating events being generated in the aforementioned regions of the screen but none in the ‘dead’ areas. Any suggestions what to do next? The screen itself is about 2 years old - are there replaceable parts (e.g the driver board)?

LichtiMC

Re: Official RPi 7” touch screen large areas not detecting touches

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 pm

I bought 10 displays for my home-automation about 2.5 years ago and they were all running fine until a few months ago, when one of them started to have this very same problem (very little time after warranty expiration):

Some areas of the touchscreen began to fail.
Until now the touchscreen of 3 more devices has failed.

So for me it looks like a "predetermined breaking point" to make customers buy new displays... :(

Cerritus

Re: Official RPi 7” touch screen large areas not detecting touches

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:00 pm

My touch screen also stopped working correctly a few weeks ago. Only on the lower edge and the left edge some areas are still detecting touches. Could this still be something else than a hardware defect?

Return to “Official Foundation Display”