JonnieCache

Display Power Issue? Noob question perhaps.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi!

I am new to RPi. So, please forgive if my questions are n00b. :lol:

I have an RPi 3B+ and the official 7" display. I'm trying to use it for an OctoPrint or AstroPrint server for my Prusa i3 Mk3.

I am running the Pi on WiFi. The Prusa i3 Mk3 is connected to it by USB. I have a Logitech C930 camera attached also. The Prusa supplies its own power, so the C930 would be the only real drain other than the SD card. Nothing else is connected.

For power, I am using this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D336HBG/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm running two high-quality microUSB cables: one to the Pi and the other to the display. So, at least according to the USB power specs, they should each be getting 2.4amps. The whole thing can supply a total of 60 Watts.

Still, when I run the system, I get the lightning bolt or a command-line notification of low power. This happens even when I am running a very base install of OctoPrint in command-line only.

Any assistance is appreciated!

DarkElvenAngel

Re: Display Power Issue? Noob question perhaps.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:43 am

JonnieCache wrote: Hi!

I am new to RPi. So, please forgive if my questions are n00b. :lol:

I have an RPi 3B+ and the official 7" display. I'm trying to use it for an OctoPrint or AstroPrint server for my Prusa i3 Mk3.

I am running the Pi on WiFi. The Prusa i3 Mk3 is connected to it by USB. I have a Logitech C930 camera attached also. The Prusa supplies its own power, so the C930 would be the only real drain other than the SD card. Nothing else is connected.

For power, I am using this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D336HBG/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm running two high-quality microUSB cables: one to the Pi and the other to the display. So, at least according to the USB power specs, they should each be getting 2.4amps. The whole thing can supply a total of 60 Watts.

Still, when I run the system, I get the lightning bolt or a command-line notification of low power. This happens even when I am running a very base install of OctoPrint in command-line only.

Any assistance is appreciated!
I'd try a different power supply if you have one?

I'm running a Pi3 B+ with touch display off one 2.5 Amp supply made by Cankit and a 'Y' splitter that plugs to both the screen and the pi microUSB ports. I've seen no issues with power unless I put a high draw USB device in.

If you're power supply is as rated it should never give issues...

JonnieCache

Re: Display Power Issue? Noob question perhaps.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you. I wondered if it might be the power supply, but it didn't really make sense to me because of its rating.

I just tried using the RPi, Display, and the printer as the only things connected and it still caused problems.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”