ab1jx

Any way to make the GUI login work?

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't really want to autologin as pi but it seems like nothing hooks the GUI keyboard when the cursor is over a text field like it does on Android. (Gee, pirate something from Android?) The cursor changes to a text cursor, so on pointer click bring up the keyboard if the cursor is text?

I just got the display a few hours ago and I'm still trying to get used to it. Still trying to figure out how to click on things. I've used Android stuff enough, including a VNC client I guess I expected this to work more like. There's a mode where you end up with an offset between where your finger is and where the pointer is, so you can move the pointer and still see what you're clicking on. It was so natural I didn't really think about what it was doing. I think the app was "Real VNC" or something like that. Also did nice zooming. I had Debian on a phone but the only way to use X was with a vnc server on the Debian side and a VNC client app on the Android side. Seemed easier to use than this.

Also I use the app called Hacker's Keyboard, which might be open source but of course Android isn't really X so it might not be adaptable.

Well, I'm watching screensavers anyway.

topguy

Re: Any way to make the GUI login work?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

Old thread on the subject:
viewtopic.php?t=113526

ab1jx

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

OK, thank you. I had no idea this would be an issue until I got one and tried it. Doing autologin by tweaking lightdm.conf right now but it's not exactly safe longterm.

ab1jx

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 am

xvkbd looks great
xvkbd.png
xvkbd.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Lots of options including resizing.

But until I get calibration to work I can't do much. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=205569&p=1277402#p1277402 This is from a VNC session.

I'll get there eventually, the display only came yesterday. Got the GUI login working, a button appeared to enable the keyboard. I just can't hit anything most of the time yet because of the calibration. :( Odd that the poster of viewtopic.php?f=108& was only a week ago, I wonder if some segment of the batch of keyboards was off. Mine came from Newark/Element 14. Didn't notice if they have serial numbers.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”