ralphbsz

Case for display without RPi, and cable connection

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:07 am

Looking for: A case to wall-mount just the official 7" pi foundation display (with its little adapter board), but without the pi itself, and then a nice-looking cable connection for it. About 1m (3') away from the pi.

Details: The RPi3 itself lives in a big steel cabinet that's full of control hardware. It has to live in there because it is wired to many things in there. It will sit in a DIN-rail mount enclosure, and eventually I'll probably make a custom hat for it (right now I'm still making to with off-the shelf hats). The display needs to be reachable by humans, so it will be wall-mounted next to the steel cabinet.

Two issues: First, I haven't found a good case yet for wall-mounting just the display itself. All the cases I find have space in the back for the RPi itself, and are pretty deep; I want something flat that can be hung on the wall securely, and is well enclosed (there is dust in the room, and an occasional little bit of water spray is possible).

Second: How to connect the display? Running a 1m long cable is not a problem, and in fact one can buy 1m long DSI ribbon cables. But the cable between the big steel cabinet and the wall-mounted case will be exposed, so the naked 15-pin ribbon cable is inappropriate. Plus connecting the display requires an extra four little wires; I can't have a ribbon and four loose wires floating there. Is there any adapter solution that turns all the required wires (ribbon + 4) into a single cable?

An ugly alternative may have to be: give up on using the pi foundation display, and switch to some canned HDMI display with touchscreen.

rpdom

Re: Case for display without RPi, and cable connection

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:30 am

There are some adaptors that can use HDMI cables to connect the DSI display to the PI's DSI port.

https://www.tindie.com/products/freto/p ... extension/ (ignore the fact that it says these are for the camera, the CSI and DSI ports use the same cable and people have tested these with DSI)

Note that this does NOT make the DSI port or screen compatible with HDMI devices. It just uses HDMI cables because they have the right number of wires inside and are easy to get hold of.

ralphbsz

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks, that takes care of half the problem already. I like the fact that the little adapter has four uncommitted wires, that will help.

il_diavolo

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Just be aware that some HDMI cables will not work with the adaptors. Of the 5 cables I have only 1 will work with the screen. Test before you buy.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”