danielwells

Updated Screen Hardware?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:39 pm

We have been developing some internal projects using the Pi and a wall mounted screen over the last year. After trying many screens we settled on the Official Pi touch screen. We chose it for its form factor and not because it was the best quality screen. In fact of all the screens we tried in the price range, the viewing angle and overall quality (brightness, contrast, etc) of the Pi Screen ranked near the bottom. However the form factor and physical appearance (ease of mounting and nice glass bezel) won out in the end. In fact it looks great in the custom aluminum wall mount we built for it.

However I am hopeful that an update to the screen hardware is on the horizon. It would be nice to see a new version released (possibly with an IPS screen) in the same form factor. The limited viewing angles prevents us from using it in some of our desired use cases (vertically mounted being one of them). I would also love to have a 10" version of the screen as well.

Is anyone aware of any updates to the screen product coming soon? I have not been able to find much.

Thanks.

DirkS

Re: Updated Screen Hardware?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

danielwells wrote:
Is anyone aware of any updates to the screen product coming soon? I have not been able to find much.
RPF do not give any info on any future devices, specs, etc

So the people that are aware of any updates will not give you any information.
Any 'information' from others can only be pure speculation.

rpiMike

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:49 pm

These look nice - only 5.9 inch though :

https://www.thing-printer.com/product/manga-screen/

danielwells

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:51 pm

DirkS wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm
RPF do not give any info on any future devices, specs, etc

So the people that are aware of any updates will not give you any information.
Any 'information' from others can only be pure speculation.
Thanks for letting me know. It's unfortunate as it makes it hard for groups like mine to make long term plans around this hardware.

Thanks again.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:53 pm

danielwells wrote:
I would also love to have a 10" version of the screen as well.

Early in the--rather long--gestation of the RPF 7" display the idea of a 10" display to follow was mentioned. Nothing has been heard about that idea since, so it's impossible to tell if the RPT/RPF still has any plans in that direction. One of factors in choosing the current 7" display was the ability to have it available for a "long" time, as most small screens are done in batches for specific projects and then rapidly disappear from the market. The RPF 7" display uses an "industrial grade" panel, which is probably why it specs in the ways it does. It is--essentially--"old tech" that just keeps chugging along being manufactured and kept on the market.

I agree that a 10" display from the RPT/RPF would be really nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to show up.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”