donde123

Can't See Keyboard.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I just received the Official Foundation Display from Element 14. I have it connected to my RPi 3 as shown in many tutorials. All is well except no keyboard. I see mouse action on screen OK. I'm using the latest Jessie, 4/10/17. I'm using a 2 amp PS. I've connected the ribbon and powered the display board from the Pi using the red an black wires. Yellow and green not used. I see one has to install either Matchbox or Florence which I did. Neither of the two let see a keyboard. I've done a sudo apt-get update, not anything else. Because this is the 2nd time trying to see the keyboard. Before I did sudo apt-get upgrade and rpi-upgrade and maybe a couple of more things that didn't help. Right now situation is: RPi with re-written SD with newest Jessie, normal update, and Florence and a bit of configuration in /boot/config.txt.

No keyboard to be seen. Please no "try this". I would love to see the exact way to proceed from scratch. No problem to start over.
Thanks in advance.

donde123

Re: Can't See Keyboard.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:38 am

SOLVED

Found sudo apt-get install at-spi2-core + sudo apt-get install florence

which did the trick.

Sorry for my long sob story !

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Florence actually works, without crashing, locking up or high CPU load? There was an issue with it in Jessie the last time I tried to use it.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:23 am

alphanumeric wrote:Florence actually works, without crashing, locking up or high CPU load? There was an issue with it in Jessie the last time I tried to use it.
Yes I did a fresh install with latest version last month and all I did was install florence and no problems or lag. In fact I find it to be very good keyboard solution for the 7 inch display. In fact you may find it good to change the keyboard to the more simplistic look as it's easier on the eyes to type.

alphanumeric

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 am

OK, I'll have a look see myself later on today, thanks.

alphanumeric

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Seems to work OK. :)

ktb

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:19 am

alphanumeric wrote:Seems to work OK. :)
Interesting. The last time I tried it (not that long ago), it was full of problems which made it unusable too. I just tried it again and it seemed to work fine.

alphanumeric

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:15 am

The matchbox keyboard was the one I used to use. It also got messed up some where down the road of Raspbian updates.

ktb

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:46 am

alphanumeric wrote:The matchbox keyboard was the one I used to use. It also got messed up some where down the road of Raspbian updates.
Yeah, that one seemed to have problems specific to PCManFM and sending one core usage to 100%.

alphanumeric

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 am

It wouldn't show up in the menu either. I had to do an edit, then there would be two entries, and then delete one of them.

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 am

ktb wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:The matchbox keyboard was the one I used to use. It also got messed up some where down the road of Raspbian updates.
Yeah, that one seemed to have problems specific to PCManFM and sending one core usage to 100%.
It's not messed up, it's just badly written buggy code - the issue was reported to the developer three years and more ago.

Florence looks reasonably OK, once you change it from its default (ugly) skin. It lands in a weird place on the GUI menus (took a while to find that).
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”