Wizrd23

lcd_rotate=2 not working

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi all -

I just setup my raspberry pi 3 + pi touch display. I've run all the updates and installs.
the display / raspian pixel install is otherwise working. I have it mounted in the official stand, so the display is upside down.

I edited the /boot/config.txt file and added the line lcd_rotate=2
ctrl-X, type Y, press enter to confirm
sudo reboot

nothing

I've looked everywhere I can think of for a conflicting setting that would prevent the rotation.
I've even gone so far as to run the installation again.

What else can I check? The only think I haven't done is pull the memory card, put it into my PC and went completely nuclear and reformatted / started over. I'm using the LoveRPi 32GB pre-loaded microSD.

Thoughts?

DougieLawson

Re: lcd_rotate=2 not working

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:41 am

If you're using NOOBS hold or tap the [SHIFT] key during boot and that will bring up the NOOBS recovery system. It has a config.txt editor that will make sure you're hitting the right config.txt file.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Wizrd23

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Definitely not using NOOBS.

I'm using Raspbian Pixel v8 (jessie)
kernel build is: 4.4.50-v7+

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Have you enabled the OpenGL driver? ie is "dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d" in /boot/config.txt?
If so then none of the config.txt display settings are applicable and you should be looking at xrandr instead.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

pietrax

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi!
Same issue with latest updates. "lcd_rotate" is not working anymore.

I run Windows 10 IoT and the only option that I have is "Display orientation" (aka display_rotate) that not bring with it touchscreen controls.

Any ideas?

pietrax

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi! Same problem here... With latest updates lcd_rotate won't woking anymore...

If I insert manually line in config.txt it will ignore the command.

Windows 10 IoT have not an option for display & touch controls orientation, only display.

Any ideas?

jhaupt

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 am

This is still an issue. Adding lcd_rotate to config.txt does nothing. display_rotate yes, lcd_rotate no.

I'm having trouble getting the method using xinit to work (my pointer device is "Elan Microelectronics Corp."), which is for a 14" touchscreen from Chalkboard electronics.

I'm about to try Jessie from 2017-01-11 with the hope that lcd_rotate will work with a sufficiently old release.

~Justine

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:31 am

lcd_rotate only works with this: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... 4916536388 display.
MQTT Evangelist

rbhinvt

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 pm

I too have just got a new official 7” raspi display. After getting it I dutifully upgraded to the most recent Rasbian. Big miststake. I could not get lcd_rotate=2 to work. I tried everything I could think of. Then I reverted to an older version of Rasbian that I had backed up (my version of from May 2017). Once I had the old version on the memory card lcd_rotate=2 worked like a champ. So I don’t know what conflicts were introduced in the newest release (early Jan 2018), but lcd_rotate=2 does not work with that new version. I would be happy to hear that this has been fixed and hear that I can safely update to the newest Rasbian.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:49 pm

If you're using NOOBS are you updating the right /boot/config.txt
MQTT Evangelist

jamesh

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:34 pm

rbhinvt wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 pm
I too have just got a new official 7” raspi display. After getting it I dutifully upgraded to the most recent Rasbian. Big miststake. I could not get lcd_rotate=2 to work. I tried everything I could think of. Then I reverted to an older version of Rasbian that I had backed up (my version of from May 2017). Once I had the old version on the memory card lcd_rotate=2 worked like a champ. So I don’t know what conflicts were introduced in the newest release (early Jan 2018), but lcd_rotate=2 does not work with that new version. I would be happy to hear that this has been fixed and hear that I can safely update to the newest Rasbian.
It should work but you now have the option of some extra commands for specifically rotating HDMI or LCD displays.

If it isnt working then it's clearly been a mistake somewhere, although I did test it thoroughly.

See the config.txt docs for details on the new rotate commands
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

rbhinvt

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:51 pm

I did not use NOOBS to update. I ran

Apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Where is the config.txt docs. I went to the raspi pages and the documentation on this 7” official screen is very minimal. It just indicates that the lcd_rotate=2 line works for the official screen only. I believe it is display_rotate=2 is used for hdmi and other screen, but this does not rotate the touch controls. Of course that is not necessary for say an hdmi monitor as it is not a touch screen.

jamesh

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am

Just realised the config.txt docs have not yet been updated - they are supposed to be waiting for copy editing., but I cannot find them there either. Hmm, need to find out what happened to the update.

Not in office, so will have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: Just found it. I've merged it, the website should be updated withing an hour.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

jesseasi

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Was there ever a solution? I am unable to rotate my touch screen. I can rotate the displayed image no problem - using display+rotate=1 (making it portrait)

But I am unable to rotate the touch screen. My touch screen from a 3rd party and looks to be made by Ilitek Multi-Touch.

What am I doing wrong?

I have tried

lcd_rotate=1
display_lcd_rotate=1

but neither work.

jamesh

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 am

jesseasi wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm
Was there ever a solution? I am unable to rotate my touch screen. I can rotate the displayed image no problem - using display+rotate=1 (making it portrait)

But I am unable to rotate the touch screen. My touch screen from a 3rd party and looks to be made by Ilitek Multi-Touch.

What am I doing wrong?

I have tried

lcd_rotate=1
display_lcd_rotate=1

but neither work.
Ok I hadn't realised you were not using the i
Rpi touch screen. You'll need to contact the suppliers of the actual touchscreen you have in order to find out how to rotate it.

This is not something we do in our drivers.

jesseasi

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you for the response. Good to know that this command won't work with my touch screen.

Is there any other method? 3rd party app?

jamesh

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:08 pm

No idea, but i suspect there are controls in X windows to reverse coordinate systems. Might be worth a google.

EDIT: or the driver supplied for the TS may well have device tree options for this sort of thing - I have modified our touchscreen driver to be able to do that.

jealand

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm trying to rotate the Raspberry 7" display to portrait mode. I can do it with display_rotate=1 or display_rotate=3 but obviously it does help with the touchscreen.

Using lcd_rotate=2 seems to work for my but that flips it upside down what I need is to flip it 90 degrees. lcd_rotate=1 does not seem to do anything and lcd_rotate=3 cause the device to hang on a black screen.

Anybody have any idea.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:13 am

jealand wrote: I'm trying to rotate the Raspberry 7" display to portrait mode. I can do it with display_rotate=1 or display_rotate=3 but obviously it does help with the touchscreen.

Using lcd_rotate=2 seems to work for my but that flips it upside down what I need is to flip it 90 degrees. lcd_rotate=1 does not seem to do anything and lcd_rotate=3 cause the device to hang on a black screen.

Anybody have any idea.
some links for you to check:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1293526

Lcd_rotate=2 flips the display upside down (180deg rotation). You should use 'display_lcd_rotate' - https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

Orientation of your touch will have to be fixed - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=219333

This is w problem which has been discussed quite often--> you will find more if you search the forum.

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Lcd_rotate=2 flips the display upside down (180deg rotation). You should use 'display_lcd_rotate' - https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

Orientation of your touch will have to be fixed - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=219333

That is absolutely, 100%, completely wrong.

lcd_rotate=2 will a) rotate the official display and b) rotate the official display's touch.

You can't run lcd_rotate=1 or lcd_rotate=3 as those modes do not exist.
MQTT Evangelist

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:23 am

DougieLawson wrote:
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:

That is absolutely, 100%, completely wrong.

lcd_rotate=2 will a) rotate the official display and b) rotate the official display's touch.

You can't run lcd_rotate=1 or lcd_rotate=3 as those modes do not exist.
Are you sure it is 'absolutely, 100%, completely wrong'?

Then please allow me to quote from here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
LCD_ROTATE

This flips the display using the LCD's inbuilt flip functionality, which is a cheaper operation that using the GPU-based rotate operation.

For example, lcd_rotate=2 will compensate for an upside down display.
User jealand wants to use the display in portrait mode
jealand wrote: I'm trying to rotate the Raspberry 7" display to portrait mode.
That's why he can't use 'lcd_rotate' and needs to use 'display_lcd_rotate' instead. For a 90 deg rotation it is 'display_lcd_rotate=3' which he needs to add to his config.txt.

As 'display_lcd_rotate' will not rotate the touchscreen user 'jealand' needs to change the transformation matrix via udev rule i.e...

@DougieLawson: If this is still 'absolutely, 100%, completely wrong' for you I would suggest to try it. Did the same a few minutes ago before writing this post ...

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm

It's wrong because a) it doesn't work with lcd_rotate and b) it's an unsupported configuration.
MQTT Evangelist

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:46 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm
It's wrong because a) it doesn't work with lcd_rotate and b) it's an unsupported configuration.
Sorry, but either your're completly ignorrant to the fact that display_lcd_rotate will also work with the official display, allowing to use it in portrait, landscape and/or upside down, or it's me.

NOBODY want's to use lcd_rotate other than 'lcd_rotate=2' which will result in a 180° rotation of display and touch.

But I'm talking about display_lcd_rotate! That's a different command which can be used similiar to display_hdmi_rotate.

Code: Select all

DISPLAY_HDMI_ROTATE
Use display_hdmi_rotate to rotate or flip the HDMI display orientation. The default value is 0.

display_hdmi_rotate	result
0	no rotation
1	rotate 90 degrees clockwise
2	rotate 180 degrees clockwise
3	rotate 270 degrees clockwise
0x10000	horizontal flip
0x20000	vertical flip
Note that the 90 and 270 degree rotation options require additional memory on the GPU, so these will not work with the 16MB GPU split.

DISPLAY_LCD_ROTATE
Use display_lcd_rotate to rotate or flip the LCD orientation. Parameters are the same as display_hdmi_rotate.

EDIT: see here for example how to rotate touch to portrait https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1347528

Return to “Official Foundation Display”