MikeDunn

USB power between Pi and screen

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 pm

I recall a while back that there was a promise by one of the popular 3rd-party companies to make a short USB cable so you don't have to power via the GPIO. Did this ever come to fruition ? If not, does anyone have a (UK) link to a suitable cable ?

Cheers,

Mike

W. H. Heydt

Re: USB power between Pi and screen

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:42 pm

There are any number of sources for short USB cables for that purpose. I can't vouch for the quality (gauge) of the wires, but all the ones I've tried have worked. Being short (6 inches) helps quite a bit in reducing voltage drop across the cable.

DougieLawson

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MikeDunn

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:03 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Do you mean like this £2 doodah?
Aye, exactly like that ... know any sources ? :P

Cheers !!! Will add to my next RP order of stuff.

MikeDunn

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Just for closure ...

I had a little hunt for these cables once Dougie had pointed this one out to me; saw a splitter with Pimoroni (who I normally use for Pi-related stuff) but wasn't too happy with the longer cable lengths & having a pair of Micro USBs dangling around. So went for the PiHut version, as it's a hellovalot neater !

Arrived this morning, and works a dream :) Very happy not to have two cables sticking out & about any more :D If only I could do similar with a set of 5 across to a small breadboard I use on this Pi ! :lol:

So - Dougie, many thanks for pointing me to this 8-)

Mike

Return to “Official Foundation Display”