dudewheresmycode

Removing LCD Panel

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

I’m working on a projector project that requires a bare LCD panel (no backlight). I recently purchased the official 7” Raspberry Pi Display, thinking I could simply remove the LCD panel. But, as many of you probably guessed, I cracked the glass from the LCD panel in the process of trying to remove the casing and backlight.

Anyone know if I can purchase a bare version of the LCD used in that display anywhere (maybe the manufacturer)? and simply hook it up to the existing boards / connectors? Hoping to not crack and trash another perfectly good screen trying to get the bare LCD.

I really liked the idea of using the DSI port rather then a bulky HDMI setup, so I thought the official display would be a nice fit. But I'm open to ideas on a better display (possibly easier to get into) to use for this project.

klricks

Re: Removing LCD Panel

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:33 pm

A recent thread about broken touchpad: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=149308
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

dudewheresmycode

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. That thread is interesting, but doesn't have any actual info on buying or replacing the raw LCD module just suggests I sell my working parts off.

My main issue is that I can't figure out how to get the metal casing off without destroying everything inside and cracking the LCD panel. If I can find an intact bare LCD glass panel (transparent LCD with no backlight & no casing) I could be in business with the controller/boards I have that should still work.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:45 am

dudewheresmycode wrote:My main issue is that I can't figure out how to get the metal casing off without destroying everything inside and cracking the LCD panel. If I can find an intact bare LCD glass panel (transparent LCD with no backlight & no casing) I could be in business with the controller/boards I have that should still work.
Nice idea! But I'm sorry to say: no way for you to do this!: You will not get access to a bare LCD glass panel nor to an open cell (unless you're interested in buying a huge quantity of them).

By the way: a bare LCD glass would be of no use for you since you need to attach the control circuitry (control PCB) to it (FYI: the C-PCB is part of the module; the PCB on the back of you RPi display simply converts MIPI (DSI interface) to DPI (the display has a 24-bit RGB interface)).
That's why an open cell would be what you need to look for (FYI: open cell is a LCD+C-PCB but without backlight, light guides, optical sheets, chassis etc).
Inside the module might be some kind of double sided adhesive to keep everything in place --> use gentle force (if any) during disassembly.

This is some guessing now since I don't own an 'official RPi Touch display', but: The touch is bonded (=fixed with double sided adhesive) to the LCD module --> you would have to remove it as well for use with your projector.

I also like the idea of using DSI for attaching other displays, but there's no way for doing this atm.

So, you might be better if you start looking for dirt cheap LCD modules with DPI interface (18-bit pr 24-bit color), rip them apart and use them instead. Driving them from the GPIO directly is a piece of cake (i.e. my latest build viewtopic.php?p=1010869#p1010869).

scotty101

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:41 am

Totally untested suggestion but you could try to gently warm the screen up. The adhesive might melt or become soft enough to allow you to take it apart.

Without any information available about how the screen is constructed, it relies on people experimenting to see what works.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Perhaps you could interest the IFixIt people in doing a writeup on dealing with RPF touchscreen. IF anybody could figure out how to get one apart, they could. Alternatively, take a look at their site to see if there is some suitable device with a display that they have a guide on taking apart.

voidnoise

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Did you make any progress with this? Just about to tackle the same problem. Hoping to make a custom projector for a project. Looking at other lcd tear downs it looks like it should be doable if careful. The flex cable looks like itll be long enough to move the backing pcb board out of the way and place a light source behind.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:12 am

You could use a heat gun to remove the PCAP and metal chassis from the display module (heating it up from the glass side until adhesive comes off). There are some videos on YouTube showing you how to replace broken digitizers on tablet/smart phones. The process is basically the same in case of the official display.
Working carefully without applying excessive force is also one of the key success factors.

Would be glad if you could let me have a picture of the LCD module backside without the metal chassis.

TravieDude

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 am

You could buy this LCD without backlight https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product- ... 72976.html. I’m trying to do something like that too so I did some research and came across this. I hope this helps. Best of Luck!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Return to “Official Foundation Display”