mmhorda

Re: [How To] Auto detect hdmi while having dsi display conne

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Did anyone find a way to turn off LCD display while connectedvia HDMI with PINN?
Thanks

procount

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:20 pm

mmhorda wrote:Did anyone find a way to turn off LCD display while connected via HDMI with PINN?
Can you elaborate on exactly what you mean?

AFAIK, the DSI is configured by the GPU on boot only. After the Pi has booted up, it is not (currently) possible to switch between the DSI and HDMI. Without any specific display configuration, the Pi will use the DSI as the primary display if both DSI and HDMI are attached. This thread is about using PINN to invert that logic, so that it will use the HDMI as the primary display if it is fitted, and the DSI if the HDMI is not attached. It does this by switching the config.txt files to force a particular display on PINN's 2nd boot.

You can control the DSI backlight and brightness as per this thread: -> viewtopic.php?f=108&t=120296
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

mmhorda

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:59 am

Ohh right. I was reading the manual between the lines and thought i knew what i was doing.
I missed the point that I should ignore LCD in PINN config.
I have finally made it work as it is in the manual. Thanks a lot for this and for PINN!
This Manual must be published somewhere in a more open space. I took me a while to find something like that. I've seen a lot of people are interested in this functionality!

By the way OSMC is broken if installed via PINN. to make it work you should install OSMC via PINN and then hook up CD card to a Linux PC and edit or create few files

1. add this to /etc/fstab in root partition - it is important to fix the updates.

Code: Select all

/dev/mmcblk0p6  /boot    vfat     defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount    0   0
2. replace or createif missing /boot/cmdline.txt with this in boot partition - it has wrong (/dev/mmcblk0p2) partition by default (which is correct one if OSMC installed not via PINN but wrong if installed via PINN).

Code: Select all

root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet osmcdev=rbp2

procount

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:31 pm

mmhorda wrote:This Manual must be published somewhere in a more open space
I'm not sure where...Github, sourceforge and Raspberrypi forum are all quite open and the links are in my signature of every post I make.
mmhorda wrote:By the way OSMC is broken
It is not PINN that is the problem as it is broken in NOOBS aswell. In fact it is the partition_setup.sh script that is written by OSMC that has become broken.

UPDATE: I have raised it as an issue with NOOBS and they will pass this info along to the OSMC team, so hopefully it will get fixed soon.
Last edited by procount on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

mmhorda

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes. I will try to pass it to OSMC community and support

UPDATE: I have passed it to OSMC support forum. Hopefully they will take a look at it asap.

procount

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 pm

OSMC installation is now fixed.

Webmets

Re: [How To] Auto detect hdmi while having dsi display connected

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for this great guide, works just fine for me :)

brandonm94

Re: [How To] Auto detect hdmi while having dsi display connected

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:54 pm

This is my second day using the RaspberryPi. I already feel like I am learning so much. I am running RetroPie, and I would like to add PINN's ability to do HDMI switching to RetroPie. How difficult would this be? Thank you for all of your work.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”