cdrobsonjr

Much larger DSI display wanted

Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 am

Has anybody succeeded finding a working solution for a larger (15 inch or larger) display that will work with the DSI on-board interface connector? Big enough to use comfortably as a programmers display (with older eyes) and not having to buy an expensive monitor. I get why 7 inch works for IoT and 'toys'. I want something that can be super portable and put in my own design housing. I have found companies (Chinese primarily) that sell the screens and even controller boards, but nothing that mentions DSI. Anybody know of a solution that would 'glue' the DSI to an LVDS interface such as you would find in a scavenged laptop display, for instance? :?:

mikronauts

Re: Much larger DSI display wanted

Tue May 03, 2016 3:12 am

Not possible.

DSI is proprietary, and Broadcom is not releasing the info needed to do that.

Do yourself a favour - buy a 15"+ HDMI TV or monitor, plug in, enjoy.
cdrobsonjr wrote:Has anybody succeeded finding a working solution for a larger (15 inch or larger) display that will work with the DSI on-board interface connector? Big enough to use comfortably as a programmers display (with older eyes) and not having to buy an expensive monitor. I get why 7 inch works for IoT and 'toys'. I want something that can be super portable and put in my own design housing. I have found companies (Chinese primarily) that sell the screens and even controller boards, but nothing that mentions DSI. Anybody know of a solution that would 'glue' the DSI to an LVDS interface such as you would find in a scavenged laptop display, for instance? :?:
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mthomason

Wed May 11, 2016 9:57 am

Given that the DSI connector is effectively a proprietary connector for the official Raspberry Pi display, the best you're going to get is probably something like this:

http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280 ... ry=3094861

Which converts the Pi's HDMI connector to LVDS. Not what you asked for, but I don't think you're going to find the perfect solution.

RaTTuS

Wed May 11, 2016 10:10 am

get yourself any decent sized hdmi screen and use that for production
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 11, 2016 11:01 am

Eric's almost at DSI with the upstreamed VC4 driver - https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... -218236409
Once that's in you'll all be able to discover the delights of trying to get a random DSI panel talking sensibly!

One little nit pick: DSI as an interface is not proprietary - it's standardised by the MIPI Alliance.
The peripheral in the SoC is a proprietary implementation, but even that is only half the battle as you then need to sort any additional GPIOs and config options to actually get something on the screen.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Back when the early statements about the 7" display were made, there were a few comments about a possible, future 10" display, IIRC, but nothing larger than that. (I'd love to see an RPF 10" display...)

theoatvecna

Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 am

+1 on a 10.1" raspberry pi official display. Is anything like that in the works?

Related question:
What are the practical benefits of using the DSI display over an HDMI display? e.g. Does HDMI consume more CPU cycles, power, cost, etc?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Kudos to the RPI team, you rock.

W. H. Heydt

Thu May 26, 2016 3:35 am

It occurs to me, on re-reading the OP, that one can get used 17" or 19" displays for a good deal less than the cost of a 7" RPF display. I've gotten ones as big as 24" for a lot less than the 7" RPF display.

So...if price is the issue, hunt around for a used or even a manufacturer reconditioned display. It's going to far, far less than a 15" or larger display that will work with the DSI connector. Indeed, you could get a display larger than 15" NEW that would be less that such a beast.

gordon77

Thu May 26, 2016 5:27 am

Is the panel propriety? Do no other panels work with the interface card?

karrika

Thu May 26, 2016 5:50 am

For theater lighting it is nice to have two screens. The QLC+ runs on the DSI screen and it controls the omxplayer for streaming video to a projector to light up the background of the stage.

The only practical problem is that there is two pop-ups in QLC+ that are too high for the 7" display (800 x 480). A little more pixels for the height or a custom compiled version with lower popups would be nice.

If a 10" DSI touch screen is planned then a resolution of 1280 x 720 would be highly appreciated.

For the present I have solved this by swapping monitors when I need to go into areas where tall popups will appear.

karrika

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:54 am

I just got my lovely SmartiPi Touch enclosure from the Kickstarter project. Here is the theater screens on the 7" DSI display. Actually they are nice and usable already :)

The latest Jessie based QLC+ is run here on Raspberry Pi 3. The serial port is still not working properly but I am sure that within a day or two we will figure out the right dt blobs to make it work on RPi 3 also.

The last picture is with Logitech wireless keyboard/mousepad attached. The DSI 7" display is really nice. A very good product.

FloatingCloud

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:47 am

We would buy a lot of 10.1" RPi touchscreen displays if such a thing was available.

karrika

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:02 am

FloatingCloud wrote:We would buy a lot of 10.1" RPi touchscreen displays if such a thing was available.
I would only buy one. But it would be a nice thing to have as it leaves the HDMI output and the GPIO pins free.

donburch

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:56 pm

karrika wrote:If a 10" DSI touch screen is planned then a resolution of 1280 x 720 would be highly appreciated.
+1 for a larger screen option - both physical size and resolution.
But consider the price too.

IMHO the RPF display's benefit (using DSI connector) doesn't offset its low resolution and high price.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 pm

donburch wrote:
karrika wrote:If a 10" DSI touch screen is planned then a resolution of 1280 x 720 would be highly appreciated.
+1 for a larger screen option - both physical size and resolution.
But consider the price too.

IMHO the RPF display's benefit (using DSI connector) doesn't offset its low resolution and high price.
It wouldn't be cheap. It's hard to guess what such a thing might cost. One can go by existing 10" HDMI displays to try to get an approximation. Adafruit (who tend to be on the pricey side) has two at $145 and $155 (the later includes audio), so one might start by guessing at a price around $150. One might surmise that little or no work would have to be done to the controller board, but I'm not sure that would be the case. In any event, a controller board should have a lot less R&D that the one for the 7" display, since the RPF has been down that road before.

On the other hand, the prices of 7" displays from Adafruit are all over the place...from $70 to $170 (they sell the RPF display for $80).

And if it comes to that...it's be nice to be able to buy Rev. 1.1 controller boards for the 7" display for those of use with Rev. 1.0 units.

jamesh

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:04 pm

HDMI displays are almost always going to be cheaper once you get over 14"- they are made in huge quantities for the TV market, so economies of scale really kick in.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

FloatingCloud

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 am

I bought a Waveshare display via Amazon. It is very good.

chinaguy

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:08 am

Having worked with charities placing "Used PCs" donated from MNC into rural schools in southeast Asia we would LOVE a larger 10-11inch touch screen for the RP3.

We have considered the RP3 for rural schools for many reasons but it is obtaining a suitable supply of monitors at a reasonable cost that prevents us doing this. The cost of obtaining, shipping and transport to a rual school of a monitor is the same as shipping a complete donated PC from halfway around the world!

A RP3 attached on the back of a display in a case, 32GB SD, PSU, keyboard and mouse for $100USD would be our ideal gift package. This would mean a 10-11inch touch display with case for 50-55USD which is more then possible.
My other computer is a VIC20.

FloatingCloud

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:57 am

chinaguy wrote:Having worked with charities placing "Used PCs" donated from MNC into rural schools in southeast Asia we would LOVE a larger 10-11inch touch screen for the RP3.

We have considered the RP3 for rural schools for many reasons but it is obtaining a suitable supply of monitors at a reasonable cost that prevents us doing this. The cost of obtaining, shipping and transport to a rual school of a monitor is the same as shipping a complete donated PC from halfway around the world!

A RP3 attached on the back of a display in a case, 32GB SD, PSU, keyboard and mouse for $100USD would be our ideal gift package. This would mean a 10-11inch touch display with case for 50-55USD which is more then possible.
Have a look at the Waveshare web site.

chinaguy

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:44 am

Thanks you for the info, but nothing on Waveshare looks like it is a finished product like the offical RP display.
My other computer is a VIC20.

FloatingCloud

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:03 am

chinaguy wrote:Thanks you for the info, but nothing on Waveshare looks like it is a finished product like the offical RP display.
The Waveshare display I received required about the same amount of assembly as the official Raspberry Pi 7" display, i.e. a ribbon cable to connect and some mounting pillars...

Here is the exact link: http://www.waveshare.com/product/mini-p ... h-case.htm

alphanumeric

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:27 pm

+1 for wanting a 10 inch version of the Pi foundation screen. Multi touch support in Raspbian would be nice too. ;)

jwatte

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:34 am

The official 7" isn't even that good.

1. Non-square pixels. WTH!?

2. Super fragile bezel. Try the various panels from adafruit; much better!

3. Very low resolution.

4. Large black borders of wasted space.

5. Surprisingly thick and clunky, not a real win compared to LVDS HDMI boards.

The AdaFruit people have the "Kippah" that adds regular LVDS panel support, and it works well, but you lose pretty much all peripherals (UART, I2C, and so on.) Especially losing the I2C for an RTC hurts; not having the UART comes second place.

I really wish someone would make a slick, robust, high resolution, edge to edge DSI panel for the Pi. But it seems like it's not to be :-(
Last edited by jwatte on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ait

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 am

The AdaFruit people have the "Kippah" that adds regular LVDS panel support
no, it is for DPI panels.

jwatte

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 am

You are correct; I remembered the wrong acronym! Thanks for removing confusion.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”