docjim

Using the Pi Touchscreen with a second monitor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Is it possible to use a second (dumb) monitor with the RPi official touchscreen?
From the info. available on this site, it appears that omxplayer may be used to display a video on both the touchcreen and on a second HDMI screen. I don't wish to view videos but the use of a larger slave screen during software development would be extremely helpful. I'm sure it must be possible - but I don't know where to begin. Any ideas?
Jim Gibb

jb63

Re: Using the Pi Touchscreen with a second monitor

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:09 am

I'm planning on doing exactly that. The 7" display + a regular hdmi display. I've read nowhere that it should not work ... only thing is I'm still waiting for my 7" to arrive, and should be able to start experimenting in a week or so.

docjim

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Please let me know how you get on - still no breakthroughs here (i.e., none of the 'obvious' tweeks to config.txt have the desired effect).
Best wishes,
Jim Gibb

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:40 pm

It will work fine for omxplayer or Kivy because those applications open the OpenGLES/dispmanx interface directly and allow you to choose which display to use. If you want to use both displays for Xwindows this is not possible because there is currently no implementation of the /dev/fb1 for the second display.
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

docjim

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:56 pm

That's a bit of a downer. I've had a quick look at frame buffer technology: learning curve is just too steep to be justified by my application. But thanks for your interest and info.
Jim Gibb

SciPhi

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:20 am

Oh man, I was really expecting it to work with HDMI as second display for programming. It's working well otherwise, despite on-screen keyboard and menus being far kludgier than even my ancient Android tablet, much less an iPad. The latter will get improved as it is used more, but it would sure help if the HDMI could be made to work, even at the cost of a bit more in the RAM split...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 am

Works for me - I have HDMI output for programming and the touchscreen has my application out via Kivy.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

SciPhi

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:05 pm

So, conceivably can you boot Raspbian to X desktop on touchscreen, then hot-plug HDMI to external monitor and switch to that without reconfigure / reboot?

An applet to effect the switchover would be acceptable : touch it to swap to HDMI and mouse click it to go back... where only "kivy" apps would work on touch while HDMI was primary?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:35 pm

SciPhi wrote:So, conceivably can you boot Raspbian to X desktop on touchscreen, then hot-plug HDMI to external monitor and switch to that without reconfigure / reboot?

An applet to effect the switchover would be acceptable : touch it to swap to HDMI and mouse click it to go back... where only "kivy" apps would work on touch while HDMI was primary?
Sorry I don't know if that will work, and I am not using X in any case. The HDMI screen may need the initial Pi handshake in order to set resolution, etc, but I am not sure.
rgds,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

fraser-island

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Hey there, i have to warm this topic off a little bit cause I have the same problem. My idea:

LCD Display (DSI) permanent connected with a hardware switch, that interrupts power or so...

A HDMI display for watching videos

Does the pi (3B) recognize the switch ( that DSI is not connected) and would it be possible to boot with LCD for coding, shutdown and move the hardware switch and reboot with the HDMI?

Thank you!!

Return to “Official Foundation Display”