HerNewTool

Waterproof Touch Screen

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:47 pm

I've tried to google it.

I need a waterproof touch screen display, for a project i'm currently in the planning stages for.

Do you guys know of any?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Waterproof Touch Screen

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 pm

I don't specifically know of any, but I would point out that the RPF 7" display has a glass front that, if sealed to an otherwise waterproof container (say, with a bead of silicone sealant all the way around) would probably fit your need. I don't think putting it under pressure would be a good idea, though, if that is what you intend to do.

HerNewTool

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:15 pm

No pressure, just the occasional rain and below freezing temps. Wanting to put a Pi with a touch screen on my motorcycle. Run bluetooth USB engine diagnostics, thumb drive music with speakers, and possibly a GPS...

Aydan

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Capacitive touch screens often have a problem with water on the surface, meaning the touch recognition gets screwed up.
e.g. the capacitive touch pad of my laptop works really badly when used with a wet finger tip that makes a wet trace.
Might not be well suited for a motorcycle. Or at least you should have a secondary input using keys.

Regards
Aydan

karlkiste

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:52 am

For this special case I'd recommend to look for a resistive touchscreen. It has a double plastic foil on the surface which senses applied pressure. While in many cases capacitive touchscreens are preferable, resistive ones work even when the surface is wet, and they even work when wearing thick gloves.

Greets,
Kiste

Boldric

Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello HerNewTool

I was wondering if your motorcycle project has advanced any. I am also thinking of creating screen for my custom bmw k100, and was wondering if you hade any pointers. i was thinking of going the route of using an arduino to pick up information, and using a rasberry pi to display

Regards,
Boldric

Return to “Official Foundation Display”