BAStumm

Matchbox-keyboard key size

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:29 pm

I have the official RPi display/touchscreen and have installed matchbox-keyboard (apt-get install matchbox-keyboard).

I find the buttons rather small and hard to use. I've already edited the XML file and removed the home, end, etc keys from the far right side which made the keys wider but I'd also like to make the keys, or rows, taller. Anyone know how to do this? Ideally, I think the keyboard total height should be around 240 pixels, or roughly half the screen height (assuming landscape mode).

In playing around I have found that if I remove one of the rows entirely then the keys get larger but removing that many keys is not an option for me. I need both letters and numbers, space bar, etc.

I know there are forks of the matchbox-keyboard project but I am hoping to stay with the version acquired through apt-get.

Alternatively, I would be open to switching to an official RPi virtual keyboard if one exists and is more touch friendly. In addition, an alternate virtual keyboard would need to also have the auto-hide feature like matchbox so it only displays when a text input is active.

BAStumm

Re: Matchbox-keyboard key size

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:41 am

Am I the only one who feels the matchbox-keyboard is too small or are the rest of you using a different virtual keyboard?

Paul Webster

Re: Matchbox-keyboard key size

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:11 am

I have never used it - but I just had a quick look at the source on Yocto and it looks like there is a --width and --height command line option that does not appear in the usage instructions.
You could experiment with them to see what effect they have.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”