texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Apps known to support dual display

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Tryph wrote:
ghans wrote:Exactly.

So far i know this limits users to Kivy , Kodi and omxplayer. There was a new enviroment variable for other dispmanx apps too - i just can't find the thread now ...

ghans
Hi,

how exactly do you run Kodi on the HDMI when using official LCD display by default? i can't find any way to do it.
Have you tried
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=126156&sid=008b83 ... 11#p844981
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Tryph

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi,

I just tried to be sure but the display_default_lcd has just nothing to do with what I am looking for. Setting it to 0 just makes the PI to use the HDMI display instead of the LCD display.
I probably badly explained my demand. What I want to do is:
- use the LCD display as default display
- in the same time, display Kodi on the HDMI output (just like you could do with omxplayer with the --display=5 option)

AndyD

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Tryph wrote:Hi,

I just tried to be sure but the display_default_lcd has just nothing to do with what I am looking for. Setting it to 0 just makes the PI to use the HDMI display instead of the LCD display.
I probably badly explained my demand. What I want to do is:
- use the LCD display as default display
- in the same time, display Kodi on the HDMI output (just like you could do with omxplayer with the --display=5 option)
I don't use Kodi, but I assume you can run it from the command line. Try

Code: Select all

VC_DISPLAY=5 kodi
and see if that will display Kodi on the second display.

Tryph

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:50 pm

AndyD wrote: I don't use Kodi, but I assume you can run it from the command line. Try

VC_DISPLAY=5 kodi
and see if that will display Kodi on the second display.
Thank you AndyD! It "works"! But not exactly the way I expected for...
Kodi actually displays on the HDMI but with a 800x480 resolution. So Kodi takes about a quarter of my screen and the rest stays black :/

I tried to add the following lines to /boot/config.txt but it seems it does nothing:

hdmi_cvt=1280 1024 50
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=35
I also tried to set the Kodi resolution directly in the ~/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml file but Kodi seems to reset it when it starts.

if someone has an idea to fix this (allowing Kodi to use the full HDMI screen), I would be happy to read it.

Scorbo

Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:37 pm

I try to switch between the official touchscreen and my TV too. I have tried tvservice, and other solution without success...

Have you found a solution ?

Thanks

vpinho

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:22 am

Also desperate for a solution for this... it "works" but I can't get to change the resolution on the hdmi.. if i boot with touchscreen on and run

tvservice -m CEA
or

tvservice -m DMT
both return 0 values, but the edid dump suggests mode 1.. don't know what else to do. help would be great :)

Argon Phreak

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 am

I'm also looking for a solution here. Mounted in my wall I have the Pi3 + touchscreen with Libre Elec and Kodi with Estouchy skin, the Kodi system does a great job playing music out the HDMI port to my amplifier/receiver, but I have an 1080p HDMI projector as part of the system and I want the movies,TV anything launching in the video player to be displayed on the projector (via HDMI port and the Amplifier/Reciever.

I actually don't care if the system 'swaps over' so that during fullscreen play back it is only output in 1080p and only out the HDMI port, as long as there is a way to return to the touchscreen display (e.g. by either touching it or perhaps a IR remote button etc).

I wonder if perhaps someone needs to write a 'screen management' app that overlays and takes care of this?

I'm happy to be a alpha/beta tester!

Return to “Official Foundation Display”