x87330

Corner Radius

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:04 am

Does anyone know the radius of curvature for the rounded corners of the bezel?

I've searched the mechanical drawing, and I don't see that dimension shown anywhere.

x87330

Re: Corner Radius

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:56 pm

For those who are interested, I took some measurements. The method I used was to align the edges of the display with the edges of a sheet of paper, mark the curve of the corner, and measure from the corner of the sheet of paper to the point where the curve ends (in both directions).

I found that the curved corners do not have a constant radius of curvature. I think they are elliptical. In the vertical direction, the point of tangency is about 6.75 mm from the 'corner' (referring to the point where the corner would be if there were no curves), while it is approximately 8 mm in the horizontal direction.

TL;DR The curve is tangent to the edge at 6.75mm in the vertical direction and 8mm in the horizontal direction.

rkinch

Re: Corner Radius

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:17 pm

The official drawing does not give the corner radius.

See my enhanced summary drawing, which reports my specimen measurement of 6.5mm corner radius:

http://www.truetex.com/raspberry_pi_dis ... nsions.pdf

If you are designing an enclosure, bracket, or bezel, be aware that the official drawing is incomplete because it does not specify tolerances for most dimensions. The corner radius is not given at all, so we can only invent our own specification based on measuring specimens. You have to design either flexibility/allowance/adjustments into your mechanisms to fit a best-guess as to how those tolerances will range from unit to unit. This matters if you intend your design to fit any given display instead of just the one in hand. If you guess wrong on critical but unspecified things like M3 screw penetration, then your design will not just have a fit problem; assembling it will actually destroy the display.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”